Switched Digital Video Tuner Adapters for Comcast in Denver

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Its been a while since I've posted due to moving to Colorado in 07 and having no LOS I had to switch to Comcast.
:mad: I'm so fed up with their HD DVR and the SD one my wife uses that I'm near the brink of buying 2 MOXI 3tuner DVR's. Now, I know all about the MOXI MATE but I want no conflicts between my wife's recordings and mine, and the no monthly fee will save me $20. MOXI says I'll need a SDV tuning adapter for my area and that checked out. I did an online chat with a Comcast tech a few nites ago and was assured the CISO STA1520 would allow all 3 tuners to work. An email to Comcast verified the same. Checked with MOXI and was told the STA1520 would render the 3rd tuner inoperable but the MOTOROLA MTR700 works with as many as 4 tuners. MOXI says CISCO is being pressured to do a firmware update to fix this issue. I'm Probably going to take the plunge anyway, and just want to avoid that sinking feeling in my heart on install day. Anyone know which unit Comcast uses in the Denver market? If its the COSCO unit am I at the mercy of Comcast or can I get the MOTOROLA unit somewhere else? HELP!! Tks in advance--RayMo

Last edited:
Looks like they are mostly being deployed in orange County.

The cablecos hate cablecards and tuning adapters, so be prepared for a battle. I documented mine with TWC over in the TWC forum in trying to connect a TIVO. Ignorance, indifference and pure hostility can be expected.

I have the Cisco adapter, but with a 2 tuner TIVO it is not an issue. Does the Moxi box have slots for three S cards or 2 M cards? Comcast will charge a monthly fee for each card installed. Also, these things are one way cards, so you will lose all PPV and VoD. Just be aware.

Its been a while since I've posted due to moving to Colorado in 07 and having no LOS I had to switch to Comcast.
:mad: I'm so fed up with their HD DVR and the SD one my wife uses that I'm near the brink of buying 2 MOXI 3tuner DVR's. Now, I know all about the MOXI MATE but I want no conflicts between my wife's recordings and mine, and the no monthly fee will save me $20. MOXI says I'll need a SDV tuning adapter for my area and that checked out. I did an online chat with a Comcast tech a few nites ago and was assured the CISO STA1520 would allow all 3 tuners to work. An email to Comcast verified the same. Checked with MOXI and was told the STA1520 would render the 3rd tuner inoperable but the MOTOROLA MTR700 works with as many as 4 tuners. MOXI says CISCO is being pressured to do a firmware update to fix this issue. I'm Probably going to take the plunge anyway, and just want to avoid that sinking feeling in my heart on install day. Anyone know which unit Comcast uses in the Denver market? If its the COSCO unit am I at the mercy of Comcast or can I get the MOTOROLA unit somewhere else? HELP!! Tks in advance--RayMo

Let me know how it works out. Im having the same issue. I can't get a straight answer out of TWC.

Thanks for the replies. An M type cable card is required for the MOXI, and I'm aware of the loss of VOD, etc. I got a reply to my email to Comcast that said the CISCO unit is the only tuning adapter that will work with the MOXI and that the MOTOROLA only works with TIVO's. I already contacted MOXI on the issue and they say the MOTO unit works with DVR's with up to 4 tuners and the CISCO will render the MOXI 3rd tuner inoperable. I think the people that build the damn thing know best don't you?? The Comcast rep didn't even know if SDV is in use in my area, which honestly, I'm not even sure yet. They suggested I go to an area Comcast location to find out! Pitiful!! Since I can't get a straight answer from Comcast, I'm just trying to be prepared for all scenarios. Chuck, I did a google on the tuners and I think I saw that either one will work with TWC, Its just which one they use is the issue. I'll keep you updated as I find out more.--RayMo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts