Switched from Direct TV to Dish network

Bantam

Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Northern Indiana
I will try and keep this short... Recently I have switched from Direct TV to Dish Network. With Direct I was able to take one of my extra receivers buy a second dish and hook it up at my other home. I've switched between Direct and Dish before and have the needed satellites in my shed, it has always been a quick swap and point. Well that was until the Eastern Arc dish has come along. I have followed the installation instructions to the "t" double/ tripled checked every connection, angle... everything that I can think of and I do not get even a deep. I have a VIP 211k receiver and starting to think there is a block in place that prevents the ability to relocate a receiver. Does anyone have a similar type of set-up that could help me out?:confused:

I believe both satcos view this as account splitting, if not stacking, and expect you to pay for service at each location. D* might not pursue this as aggressively as E*.

However, I don't think that is your problem. Yet, anyway. I gather that you are using the 1000.4 dish, which is known to be hard to aim. Are you getting any sat signal at all? Are you running Check Switch? Might want to disconnect any sat dish, run Check Switch, reconnect, run Check Switch again.

Need more details on what you're seeing. And where on the dish you're plugging in to. The 1000.4 has three outputs and one input.

And yes - has that ViP211 worked anywhere before?

I've ran check switches at my primary residents and the Vip 211k works. At my second residents I am not getting any type of signal. I've cleared the check switch as instructed before trying to point the 1000.4 dish. I've also check all the coaxial wiring to be sure it is RG-6 rated at 3000MHz.

As far as steps I've taken - (peaking using receiver)
Coaxial cable is plugged into port two (2) on the satellite, then ran to the antenna discharge unit and lastly to the receiver. All connections are waterproof. For peaking I've set the point dish screen to satellite 72.7*W and using transponder 19 or 21. On the point dish screen I also have it set to Dish 500. (only options are 300, 500, and super). The skew (75) and Elevations (40) knowing that the Elevations may need to be adjusted -/+ 3 degrees for fine tuning.

What has me the most confused is that I am not getting any type of signal what so ever.
Thank you for your assistance.

Forget the dish setting screen... selecting 300 500 or super makes no difference to the receiver. It's just there to give you a starting point when aiming the dish.
Use dishpointer.com for the correct el and skew settings for the 1000.4. Next, get yourself a cheapo meter so you can see what you're doing at the dish. Takes 5 minutes to setup and peak using this method. Good luck!

I don't think we'll ever see 1000.4 as an option on the receivers. Dish seems to expect only installers to mount these dishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)