Switched to Comcast from Dish - Experience summary !

HTInProgress

Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Howdy !

New member here….thought I'd share my recent experience as I switched from Dish to Comcast about a week or so ago.

I was just shopping around, evaluating my HD options, after I bought a Sharp LC32GA5U for my family room. Dish actually offered to lease a HD receiver for $5 a month for 12 months -- but, I'd have to go the OTA route for locals. I just didn't want to deal with all that hassle at this point. So, talked to Comcast and surprisingly got a very good deal. I got the digital silver package with HD and HBO for around $35.00 a month (I didn't have to give my Dish equipment to them -- just had to show the installer the dish bill) and got a discount on the cable model as well. They also did not charge for the HD-DVR. Of course, all this holds true only for 12 months. So, I now pay $69.99 for Digital Silver package (With HD-DVR) and Internet combined together -- savings of atleast $30 over dish and I get all the locals in HD.

We watch mostly the locals in HD, ESPN HD, Discovery HD and occasionally Sci-fi and HDTV. SD channels look surprisingly better than I thought they would. But, my wife and I are blown away with the clarity of HD and are pretty much addicted to the HD channels when we are watching TV.

Having said that, the install was the crapiest install I ever had. :mad: The installer (if I can call him that) did not the difference between a "splitter" and "diplexer" and a "multi-switch". I wanted him to keep my current dish connections (We watch international channels) as is and diplex the cable signals on top of the existing cabling. Of course, he didn't know how to do that and he wanted to run extra cables inside the walls and charge me extra. I told him I could do that myself later and asked him to just install the HD-DVR in the family room. Big Mistake ! He took almost 4 hours and called in another installer to complete just one drop !! In the process, both of them stomped thro' my attic, stained my carpet and left even before the picture was on the TV. They also left me a single tuner HD-DVR when I speficically asked for a dual-tuner HD-DVR. The best part is when he asked me use my phone and used it call his girl friend at work :shocked The most incompetant, unprofessional installer I ever had to deal with !!!!

Anyways, sorry for the rant -- just wanted to vent the frustration. Of course, I called Comcast next day and gave them an earful about the their incompetent installers. The whole experience reminded me about why I moved from cable to Dish in the first place. If only dish had better offerings in HD ! Well, you can't have everything, I guess.

Other than the installation experience, I am definitely pleased with the quality of signals and most definitely enjoying the HD experience :) . The DVR is a little clunky compared to the Dish DVR I am used to -- but just takes a little getting used to.

AN

Welcome to Satellite guys!
I use to contract install for Cable companies and switched over to Dish systems about six months ago. I do know that many installers, especially in house guys, do crappy work. Not all of them, but most of them. Funny thing about your install experience is that I had one of my old buddies who works in house for Insight call me about two weeks ago and ask me what a diplexer was. The customer he was installing wanted to keep Dish for international channels and the customer was getting upset with him because he was wanting to run new wires for the cable outlets and run them through the crawlspace on a prewired house. I went out there the next day and hooked up the diplexers for him as a favor and listened to the customer talk about how much of an idiot my buddy was. Which wasn't entirely true, he just hasn't any experience with Dish systems and gets paid hourly. Not really good for the customer though I must agree. Anyway, I thought that I would share that with you. Your cable package sounds like a really good one. We have two cable companies here where I live and even with that kind of competetion we don't have those kind of deals. Keep us posted on your experience with cable. Thanks for posting.

HTInProgress said:
Howdy !

New member here….thought I'd share my recent experience as I switched from Dish to Comcast about a week or so ago.

I got the digital silver package with HD and HBO for around $35.00 a month (I didn't have to give my Dish equipment to them -- just had to show the installer the dish bill) and got a discount on the cable model as well. They also did not charge for the HD-DVR. Of course, all this holds true only for 12 months. So, I now pay $69.99 for Digital Silver package (With HD-DVR) and Internet combined together -- savings of atleast $30 over dish and I get all the locals in HD.

Other than the installation experience, I am definitely pleased with the quality of signals and most definitely enjoying the HD experience :) . The DVR is a little clunky compared to the Dish DVR I am used to -- but just takes a little getting used to.

AN

One of the reasons I am thnking of switching back to Comcast after 8 years with Direct TV is the current offer from Comcast. It is very intriging. Trade in your Sat equipment (Or show the bill whichever it is) and get Comcast digital siver package (With HBO) for $29.99 a month. Add in a HD Tivo and the HD Package and it comes to $45.00 per month for a year. ($25.00 less then I am currently paying without a HD Tivo) My thoughts are hey, for a year it's a pretty good deal and by that time the promotion is over, we'll know where Voom, Dish and Direct are going with HD Programing. Seeing that you are pretty happy with the signal and programing made me lean more toward Comcast.
Thanks for the info

bw820 said:
Welcome to Satellite guys!
I use to contract install for Cable companies and switched over to Dish systems about six months ago. I do know that many installers, especially in house guys, do crappy work. Not all of them, but most of them. Funny thing about your install experience is that I had one of my old buddies who works in house for Insight call me about two weeks ago and ask me what a diplexer was. The customer he was installing wanted to keep Dish for international channels and the customer was getting upset with him because he was wanting to run new wires for the cable outlets and run them through the crawlspace on a prewired house. I went out there the next day and hooked up the diplexers for him as a favor and listened to the customer talk about how much of an idiot my buddy was. Which wasn't entirely true, he just hasn't any experience with Dish systems and gets paid hourly. Not really good for the customer though I must agree. Anyway, I thought that I would share that with you. Your cable package sounds like a really good one. We have two cable companies here where I live and even with that kind of competetion we don't have those kind of deals. Keep us posted on your experience with cable. Thanks for posting.

Thank you ! Great forum -- learnt a lot just by browsing :)

About the installer -- I do understand that these guys get paid hourly and most of them learn just enough to get by. Although, with the increasing number of options available out there, "combination" installations will become common. I think it's beneficial to the customer and to the company if the installers are trained properly -- keeps the overall costs down and the job gets done right the first time. Having said that, what bothered me about this installer is not the fact that he didn't know what a diplexer is, but his lack of prefessionalism.

I stopped by Comcast yesterday and picked by a Digital STB (that the installer refused to leave behind) and picked up a couple of diplexers and splitters from Fry's. I will try and make the connections today based on the configuration I wanted -- there goes my sunday afternoon :)

AN

I know people with comcast --- the locals and anything not over 100 is analog bad picture with a program guide. thats it!

and that promo wont last forever...why not go on ebay or to a flea market and buy directv equipment. show them your bill and give comcast some cheap possibly broken equipment rather than giving them expensive hd equipment.

golfguyfl said:
One of the reasons I am thnking of switching back to Comcast after 8 years with Direct TV is the current offer from Comcast. It is very intriging. Trade in your Sat equipment (Or show the bill whichever it is) and get Comcast digital siver package (With HBO) for $29.99 a month. Add in a HD Tivo and the HD Package and it comes to $45.00 per month for a year. ($25.00 less then I am currently paying without a HD Tivo) My thoughts are hey, for a year it's a pretty good deal and by that time the promotion is over, we'll know where Voom, Dish and Direct are going with HD Programing. Seeing that you are pretty happy with the signal and programing made me lean more toward Comcast.
Thanks for the info

My thoughts exactly ! It's really the number of available HD channels, monthly cost and the lack of contract is what sold me on switching to Comcast. They also threw in the HD-DVR also for free for me -- I am actually paying $35.00 for the Digital Silver package and $35.00 for the internet. Like you said, we'll see where the industry is within these 12 months of promotion time.

Having watched the HD channels for another week, I must say I am happy I made the switch. My wife and I are enjoying not only watching the programs on DiscoveryHD, InHD and InHD2 but also recording the primetime shows in HD and watching them later at our leisure :)

The signal is very good on all the channels except InHD and InHD2 -- I see some artifacts and pixelization on these two channels occasionally. I have already ordered a DVI cable -- it should be here in a couple of days. Will let you guys know if there is any change in the PQ.

AN

Uplink said:
I know people with comcast --- the locals and anything not over 100 is analog bad picture with a program guide. thats it!

and that promo wont last forever...why not go on ebay or to a flea market and buy directv equipment. show them your bill and give comcast some cheap possibly broken equipment rather than giving them expensive hd equipment.

That's easy. I have two old dishes in the garage, and I have some old receivers in the closet. My HD and tivo won't go. Besides, my friend told me they just want to see your current bill and don't take any equipment anyway. For $29.00 a month for a year, it sounds like a good plan right now. I'ld love to go with Voom, but am unsure of the future. DTV is great, but I ain't spending a 1,000 dollars for a HD tivo. This Comcast sounds like the best of both worlds.

Also just switch from E* to Comcast, after the Install drama, I love it.

The best thing to do if you ever wish to switch is find a local sales person to get the best deal, never call the 1-800 # , the sales person makes commission and will suck up and offer anything to get the sale.
For me, I get every channel , 2 HD-DVRs ( 6412, 6408 ), broadband, and landline phone for $ 120.00 for 6 months, then for 16 months the Dish Buy Deal kicks in and my bill will be $130.00 a month ( and yes I have it in writing ).

C*'s SD Channels vs. E*'s SD Channels-Analog sucks, but in my area, the analog channels are being moved over to the digital spectrum, the Comcast Digital beats out E* very easy, lot sharper, the biggest thing is the Free On Demand stuff, I love it, always something I can find for the kids or myself without paying PPV charges ( which I never would do, that's way I have a up-converting DVD player for-movies), I do not know how DBS can match the on-demand stuff, it is that cool.

C*'s HD vs E*'s HD-same, no difference, but I gained more channels, the only one I will miss are the HD Nets ( will not miss TNT-HD) but gained Starz-HD, Max-HD, InHD 1 and 2 ( can't wait for Baseball to start ) along with the channels I already had from E*, networls look the same as OTA, no down-converting.

C* has come a long way since I dropped them for D* back in 97 (E* in 99) and I have to thank DBS for that, pushing most Cable Companies to become better, now DBS has mostly been surpassed ( in most areas ), lets see what DBS can come up with.

golfguyfl said:
That's easy. I have two old dishes in the garage, and I have some old receivers in the closet. My HD and tivo won't go. Besides, my friend told me they just want to see your current bill and don't take any equipment anyway. For $29.00 a month for a year, it sounds like a good plan right now. I'ld love to go with Voom, but am unsure of the future. DTV is great, but I ain't spending a 1,000 dollars for a HD tivo. This Comcast sounds like the best of both worlds.

Even though I am leaving my whole dish setup as is -- including the dishes on the roof and the reciever/DVR, I am not sure if they would be useful 12 months down the road if they come up with different receivers and dishes to support MPEG-4. Like you said, Comcast gave me the best of both worlds for now -- and I don't have to commit to any expensive that may or may not be operational in 12 months.

AN

bruce said:
Also just switch from E* to Comcast, after the Install drama, I love it.

The best thing to do if you ever wish to switch is find a local sales person to get the best deal, never call the 1-800 # , the sales person makes commission and will suck up and offer anything to get the sale.
For me, I get every channel , 2 HD-DVRs ( 6412, 6408 ), broadband, and landline phone for $ 120.00 for 6 months, then for 16 months the Dish Buy Deal kicks in and my bill will be $130.00 a month ( and yes I have it in writing ).

Good to hear that I am not alone in this :)

It sounds like you got a great deal from Comcast. I am assuming you are using Comcast promotions for the first six months and using the Dish buyback promotion after that. Good thinking !

Haven't given much thought to the phone service from Comcast yet ? How is your experience with the service so far ?

AN

HTInProgress said:
Good to hear that I am not alone in this :)

It sounds like you got a great deal from Comcast. I am assuming you are using Comcast promotions for the first six months and using the Dish buyback promotion after that. Good thinking !

I don't know what he did, but I was pissed at him because he no showed the appointment to sign the papers, so I said to him if you don't give me one hell of a deal, forget it, then of course he did.
The worse problem was the install, appointment was Wednesday 12-2, no one showed or called, called my rep. to complain, he called me back to say they rescheduled me for Monday, I said no way, I work, he then say he could push for Thursday, I said no, I work, if you can push for Thursday, push for later today since no one bother to call me, he says he can't, I then said forget it then, 6pm comes around and guess who is at my door, two installers, thats why it is better to talk to a rep, instead of a mindless CSR on the phone, the rep does not want to lose the commission

HTInProgress said:
Haven't given much thought to the phone service from Comcast yet ? How is your experience with the service so far ?

AN

No different from SBC.

Find out where their local office is, and go there or use information once you find out the city, use the net also, like say "Charter Billing Centers" into a search engine.

Well I have to tell you. I finally made up my mind and called Comcast on Saturday. I tried everything to get Dish or Direct TV (My provider ) to match or at least come cost to the cable offer. They tried, but the best Direct would do is lower the price of the HD Tivo by $300.00, Dish never called back like they said they would and Voom, well, it is too iffy.
Anyway, the cable guy showed up on Monday (Holiday) and installed Cable HD. They did take a reciever, but stated they did not care if it works or not. What they do is take the mercury from the reciever and then dispose of the rest.
Here's what I got.
1. A Motorola HD reciever with HD Tivo. 15 hours can be recorded in HD, 60 hours in SD. It also upcoverts SD to 480P, or 720P depending on your TV
2. 11 screens on HBO. (I swear HBO east is in HD it is soooo clear!)
3. HD Programing including all 4 of my local channels in HD. The HD package also includes, ESPN HD, Discovery HD, Fox HD, INHD and INHD2
4. More channels like Golf network, speedvison and too many more to name that I didn't have before.
5. On Demand with hundreds of free movies and cable channels that I can pause, rewind or save until later. I can watch when I want to. And first run movies that are still playing at the movies house for $3.99. Again I can pause, rewind or stop and come back later to finish watching.
6. All the Encore channels
The sound quality is excellent and seperation is the best I have heard other then from my DVD. 5.1 really blasts through my 6 channel stereo system.
The picture quality, well it is great. I was really impressed with the encore channels. They look almost like HD as do all (11) of the HBO channels. Living in Florida I was used to rain fade, well we had a big thunderstorm last night and the picture quality stayed the same. That's a real plus in Florida

What did this cost me. Well, the "Dish buyback proram " (where they take any reciever) is what I have and it will cost me $29.99 a month for one year! with no commitment after that. I can cancel anytime from now until the year is up and it cost me nothing. (in writting) other then the months I have already used.
With the HD recorder, and great picture and sound not costing any upfront fees, how can anyone go wrong?

The Cons? Hmmmm, so far I can't find any. Ok, maybe one could compalin about the lower channels (3 to 75) (Non Digital) The picture quality is a little iffy at best, but withl Soooooo many channels above 100, why compain. :rolleyes:

We'll see where Direct TV, Dish , or Voom are in a year, Maybe it will be worth it to change back, maybe not. But I can tell you this. As far as I'm concerned, Comcast has the lead right now in HD, Picture and sound, Price and deals. How can anyone complain at $29.99 for a year?
I really like this board and it is still on my daily visit list though. Ok, I've rambled on long enough. I just thought I'ld share my experiance. :)

Im sorry to hear about your difficult installation, but glad you are finally happy now that it is done. I have been on many sites where people share their experiences, and I know that not everybody at Comcast can be bad, but Comcast is getting their name thrown through the mud for similar stories that you just told. It cant be mere coincidence. Where I work, we have many installations done by contractors and that is where we see most of our problems. 3rd party company with contractors trying to finish as quick as possible with not much recourse. As a company guy, we are told to leave the satellite equipment alone as much as possible. I have seen too many people try and blame us for anything that goes wrong with anything we touch. Im sorry it affected your install. On a side note, exactly how many HD channels do you have? Im trying to see what different areas are offering. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)