Switching b/w OTA and SAT

golson99

Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Whenever I switch between an OTA channel and a satellite channel, I typically receive the message from the 811 that the satellite signal must be reacquired. Then I usually have to wait for the program guide to download as well. Does anyone know of a way to force the 811 to continually download the program guides and maintain the satellite signal while in OTA mode? (or any other time for that matter) Any advice would be much appreciated.

Simple answer: don't hit the GUIDE button after watching OTA for a while. Instead, type in a known SAt Ch# on the keypad (e.g.; 9421 = DISCHD, 120 = HIST, etc.)

After you're back on the SAT tuner you can use the GUIDE normally altho it might take a few minute to repopulate all the guide info. (You may see, "No Info Available" if you go to the guide right away.)

Alternatively, you can use the BROWSE feature after watching OTA for a while. Just don't use the GUIDE button to switch back to SAT from OTA.

I have not had this problem, ever. I hit the guide at any time, and it works perfectly. Never had the "downloading" thing happen. I've had my unit for over 2 months, and have had zero problems with it. Am I the only one in the world with a "good" unit? Maybe I should raffle it off! Anyone else NOT have the OTA guide problem?
Tom in TX

Tom in TX said:
I have not had this problem, ever. I hit the guide at any time, and it works perfectly. Never had the "downloading" thing happen. I've had my unit for over 2 months, and have had zero problems with it. Am I the only one in the world with a "good" unit? Maybe I should raffle it off! Anyone else NOT have the OTA guide problem?
Tom in TX
You must get rid of that unit immediately. The so-called "perfect" 811's are known to explode randomly, destroying your entertainment center and killing your dog.

You should box it up IMMEDIATELY, and send it via FedEx Priority Overnight to:
Special Bug-Free 811 Dept.
c/o Garypen
San Jose, CA

You will get a standard 811 in return

Maybe I'll hire myself out as an 811 Calibration/Setup Technician. People can pay my airfare to their city, put me up in a hotel, and I'll come over and get their 811's running like mine! But wait, I hear Update 269 is imminent. I'll probably be susceptible to all the bugs that everyone else has!!
On that thought - is it wise to not allow downloads, until you can figure out if they're "good" updates?

JohnDoe#2 said:
Simple answer: don't hit the GUIDE button after watching OTA for a while. Instead, type in a known SAt Ch# on the keypad (e.g.; 9421 = DISCHD, 120 = HIST, etc.)

After you're back on the SAT tuner you can use the GUIDE normally altho it might take a few minute to repopulate all the guide info. (You may see, "No Info Available" if you go to the guide right away.)

Alternatively, you can use the BROWSE feature after watching OTA for a while. Just don't use the GUIDE button to switch back to SAT from OTA.

So you say... :)

My wonderful POS 811 (December 2003 issue) works as you say above, but you left out the part where if I key in say channel 200, from an OTA channel (the only one I can get), and then try to access 942x & up (HD), I find that I have also lost satellite 110 and have to check switch again. Pretty much guaranteed to happen every time.

Again, this is a POS, will probably always be a POS, and my email to CEO (blah-blah) has not been responded to.

Thankfully I also have D* to console me.

OK, I have 269 now. So far, so good. Hopefully I'll never see either of those #$%ing dialogues again. Anyone else have any feedback on this issue? Huge kudos to Dish if this is really fixed. I was about to toss the 811 into the drink.

golson99 said:
OK, I have 269 now. So far, so good. Hopefully I'll never see either of those #$%ing dialogues again. Anyone else have any feedback on this issue? Huge kudos to Dish if this is really fixed. I was about to toss the 811 into the drink.

I can bet you will see it again. The acquiring bug was a carry over from the 6000. It is in both products. My guess is that either the side effects of fixing this bug are ugly, the cost of fixing it is too high, or they cannot reliably duplicate it in the lab in their software environments to get to the root cause.

This one is on the top of my list, I am sure they are aware of it so if it was easy fix they would knock this one out. We talk about it with ever release.

Damn, I spoke too soon. Sure enough, it is still alive. What a POS. I'm seriously considering dropping the whole setup, now that I've already kicked the cable guys out the door. What's next, shell out the $$ for a Direct TV setup? Voom? The only reason I switched to Dish was because they lease their equipment and this stuff goes out of style faster than kids clothing.

golson99 said:
Damn, I spoke too soon. Sure enough, it is still alive. What a POS. I'm seriously considering dropping the whole setup, now that I've already kicked the cable guys out the door. What's next, shell out the $$ for a Direct TV setup? Voom? The only reason I switched to Dish was because they lease their equipment and this stuff goes out of style faster than kids clothing.

Life is not always greenier on the other side, but if this one bug results in the above reaction then you might want to consider testing the other side of the fence. We all have our tolerence levels and exposures.

For reference, I have been working with this bug since the 6000 and have seen it over the last two years. With my current 811 configuration, I see it about 1 a week at the most.

I believe there is a work around explained up top. If you have a programmable remote, one person suggested add some logic that change the channel to Discovery HD whenever he turned the unit off. This way, the channel would not be sitting on the OTA tuner.

I would also suggest turning the box off when not in use to allow the guide to update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)