Switching Dish Local Channels

I've seen cases where changing your service address doesn't always change the locals. I've had cases where I've changed the service address and the locals did not change, so I had to call or chat back in to get it fixed.

You could try to chat and tell them you to change your service address, but don't bother changing the locals, since you will only be out of town for a week. That has worked for me in the past.
The key is you have to own your receivers . Then you need to tell them that you have already moved to your new address, installed your sat dish and all receivers are working properly and you want the new city's locals. I do this online chat and have had no problems with them wanting to schedule an install. But I have done a online chat to move one time and kept my old locals,because I didn't specify I wanted the new city's. How I ended up with Houston locals and a Nederland address. I just called back and got them to turn on the correct locals.

Well, I live in FL, got a PA service address (for RSNs), and have WV locals (for Steeler game broadcasts). Works for me. :)

This post will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

With regards to changing your service address ... since I see a lot of people do it. Ever have any problems with Dish sending out mail (whether it's junk mail or what-not) and becoming suspicious of it being returned to sender? Or is this not a problem to worry about?

Mail goes to the billing address. So you keep that as your actual physical address, and only change your service address.

The only time you need to worry about having a service address not at your physical location is when setting up service calls, and also when ordering equipment (like OTA adapters, sling adapters, replacement receivers, free bluetooth headset promotion, etc). Those will be mailed to the service address. All other mail will go to your billing address.

It worked thanks! No more crappy Columbus locals! Can I change my service address back to my original or would that mess anything up?
I am just curious, which county are you in? I am wondering which county (or counties) recently switched to the Columbus DMA. I am in the opposite situation; I was designated for Cleveland locals at my actual address, and I "moved" to get Columbus locals instead. I have temporarily "moved" back to my actual address for service calls on more than one occasion, and Dish usually forgets to change the locals, which I don't bother to correct since I actually want the Columbus locals. One time, the installer was surprised that I had Columbus locals on my account, but he didn't do anything to change them. YMMV

I always end up "moving" back to my fake address anyway, just to make sure the locals don't get changed. My actual address is in Richland County. Is there a chance that my actual address is now designated for Columbus (or soon will be)?

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread. I have dish. I am trying to switch my service address to Michigan even though i live in Florida. I just want to see local games and stuff since i am from michigan.

I changed my service address and now channels wont come in. Any way to get this to work?

Or will another company be able to do this for me?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread. I have dish. I am trying to switch my service address to Michigan even though i live in Florida. I just want to see local games and stuff since i am from michigan.

I changed my service address and now channels wont come in. Any way to get this to work?

Or will another company be able to do this for me?

Thanks!
If you had wanted to see games on the Regional Sports Network (such as Tigers games on Fox Sports Detroit) then that would have worked when Dish was still carrying the Fox Sports Net channels. Those were broadcast nationally. That is now, of course, a moot point unless someone wanted to "move" to one of the few regions that still have their RSN's on Dish.

Reactions: Nicho197
If you had wanted to see games on the Regional Sports Network (such as Tigers games on Fox Sports Detroit) then that would have worked when Dish was still carrying the Fox Sports Net channels. Those were broadcast nationally. That is now, of course, a moot point unless someone wanted to "move" to one of the few regions that still have their RSN's on Dish.
Thanks. Might have to end up switching to streaming. A big negative to that is having a smart tv just old enough not to be equipped with the youtube tv app. We will see. Not a good option right now.

Thanks. Might have to end up switching to streaming. A big negative to that is having a smart tv just old enough not to be equipped with the youtube tv app. We will see. Not a good option right now.

There is no easy way to do what you want. Streaming isn't the answer either. It doesn't work by simply putting in your zip code or address if it did everyone would do it. Even using a VPN may not work. If DISH has the RSN's you could get the ones you want by changing your address because they can be received anywhere but you would then get no locals as you are not getting them now.

There are ways that work depending on how you watch. One example is to make your location wherever you want in a Browser or Android phone. Some streaming services will see that and accept that as your location, but not all. Some go by the address from your credit card, then you must be in that location to get the programming. And still some will allow you to watch according to wherever you are like CBS does, it will give you the local programming based on your location if that CBS station is part of the CBS subscription service. That service is free if you get their local via DISH or some other regular provider. No matter where your DISH subscription is you still get the local CBS based on your location not the service address of the DISH subscription.

Of course I have no direct knowledge of any of this.....;)

It's called by the FCC an "Orphan County". In my County we are forced to watch Duluth, Mn as out local feed two States away although we live in Michigan. Changing your service address won't work if you ate in the same County, plus when you need a service call, then what?
Being in a b@$t@rd child orphan county we are forced to watch channels we don't want and have to watch all the weather forecasters stand directly in the way, blocking our part of the map as they point to Duluth.
This can only be changed by an act of Congress.

It's called by the FCC an "Orphan County". In my County we are forced to watch Duluth, Mn as out local feed two States away although we live in Michigan. Changing your service address won't work if you ate in the same County, plus when you need a service call, then what?
You would have to change to a service address in a different county, one that is designated for Michigan locals. As long as you are within the spot beam for that market (and you are aimed at the proper satellite for that spot beam) it will work. When you need a service call, you can do a "Dish Mover Deal" back to your actual address, and probably get the service call for free.
Being in a b@$t@rd child orphan county we are forced to watch channels we don't want and have to watch all the weather forecasters stand directly in the way, blocking our part of the map as they point to Duluth.
I can relate to this, being in the southwest corner of the Cleveland market. It would always drive me nuts when the forecasters would stand directly in front of Mansfield while pointing out something happening to the northeast of us, that will not affect our area in any way.

Reactions: Howard Simmons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts