Switching from cable, debating between D* and E*...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The way I understand it is that you are paying up front for the upgrade, whether you do it through DirectTV or go to best buy and purchase it. They seem to rationalize it in comparison to a car lease....you pay up front, plus still have a lease fee.

Look at it this way, all leased receivrs have a $5/month lease charge, from the lowest SD model to the HD DVR. The upfront price that you pay when you get the receiver should be looked at as an upgrade fee, you get a basic receiver for free, want a SD DVR or HD receiver pay a $99 upgrade fee, want a HD DVR pay a $199 upgrade fee.

Using your car comparison you could probably get a lease charge of $400/moth for a Chevy and a Caddy, but you pay a large upfront charge on the Caddy to get the $400/month payment.

So if you purchase them do you still pay and additional receiver fee? If so why would someone purchase them, if directv will give them to you for free?
You only pay a lease fee for ADDITIONAL receivers. It is the same thing as the former "additional receiver" fee, just a name change. You are not paying to lease the equipment, you are paying for the extra tuner.

Do you still have to agree to a 2 year commitment if you purchase your equipment? I know with dish you don't.

Except for the HR21Pro receiver AFAKI you can't purchase any other receiver, they're all leased.

Look at it this way, all leased receivrs have a $5/month lease charge, from the lowest SD model to the HD DVR. The upfront price that you pay when you get the receiver should be looked at as an upgrade fee, you get a basic receiver for free, want a SD DVR or HD receiver pay a $99 upgrade fee, want a HD DVR pay a $199 upgrade fee.

Using your car comparison you could probably get a lease charge of $400/moth for a Chevy and a Caddy, but you pay a large upfront charge on the Caddy to get the $400/month payment.

i am fine with it, as long as they disclose all the details when they sell someone a receiver at Best buy instead of having the person think they own it only to be asked to turn it in when they cancel. Fortunately, there are forums like this for people who want to do their homework and avoid any unknowns. This thread has really helped me in my decision making process and the heads up on AAA discount will save me another $240 over the next 2 years

i am fine with it, as long as they disclose all the details when they sell someone a receiver at Best buy instead of having the person think they own it only to be asked to turn it in when they cancel.
Good luck with controlling what a person thinks.
Like anything else you buy (even stuff you own) there are written instructions and obligations to abide by. To qualify for warranties you have to follow certain restrictions. I hope BestBuy doesn't have to go over every written agreement with the customers ahead of me in line. :rolleyes:

i am fine with it, as long as they disclose all the details when they sell someone a receiver at Best buy instead of having the person think they own it only to be asked to turn it in when they cancel. Fortunately, there are forums like this for people who want to do their homework and avoid any unknowns. This thread has really helped me in my decision making process and the heads up on AAA discount will save me another $240 over the next 2 years

IIRC the price tag on the shelf with the receivers says it's a leased receiver. The BestBuy web site says "Prices shown are "lease upgrade fees." Additional $4.99/mo. lease fee applies for each DIRECTV Receiver you add. Programming commitment required. See terms. ". The receipt for purchasing it says it's a lease you you need to agree to the terms. So while it may not in bold print say what the commitment is someone should look into what all the warnings mean before purchasing.

IIRC the price tag on the shelf with the receivers says it's a leased receiver. The BestBuy web site says "Prices shown are "lease upgrade fees." Additional $4.99/mo. lease fee applies for each DIRECTV Receiver you add. Programming commitment required. See terms. ". The receipt for purchasing it says it's a lease you you need to agree to the terms. So while it may not in bold print say what the commitment is someone should look into what all the warnings mean before purchasing.

Like I said, I am glad for forums like this so I can do the research and be fully aware before making the jump. I don't need to take a magnifying glass to any fine print that way :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)