Switching from DIRECTV back to Dish

jdolotina

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Patiently waiting on the Dish installer to show up. Stupid excited to get back to Dish Network after a 2 year hiatus with Directv. Direct hasn't been bad, but coming from a hopper prior to direct kind of spoils you. Looking forward to the Hopper 3 and 16 tuners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also took a break from DISH and went with Directv for a while. I moved back to DISH when the Hopper 3 first became available. No regrets at all. I hope you enjoy DISH and the newest Hopper!

Awesome man! I was forced to Directv due to LOS issues at another house. Elevation was too low for Dish and Direct was able to get over the tree line as they are at a higher elevation. Just not a fan of the Directv UI and if I tailgated with Direct, I was stuck with only SD channels which is a total buzz kill.

Just switched a bit over a week ago from a Genie and two minis to a H3 and two 4K Joeys. I think you'll love the H3 interface and features. A couple of things I miss from the Genie interface but 95% of the H3 (IMO) is much more advanced/more user friendly than the Genie.

Now just impatiently waiting for the Netflix app on the 4K Joeys; we're surprised at just how much we love accessing Netflix from our H3.

Reactions: jdolotina
The one thing I missed the most was accessing and monitoring the tuners. Seeing search results from Netflix is a nice addition as well. It is nice not having to switch the TV over to another input and search separately.

From what I can tell, Directv seems to have an edge on PQ. I have noticed on the wireless Joey that the picture does have more digital noise on all channels. The Hopper 3 has a good PQ, but I think Directv has a slightly better picture. Of course, this is my opinion. Would it be enough to make me reconsider the switch? No, I have always enjoyed Dish's equipment over Directv and PQ isn't at the top of my list as much as the equipment. I also tailgate quite a bit, and I think Dish embraces the concept better than Directv.

One thing I have noticed is that Directv does seem to have more channels in HD. There are certain channels that would be much more desirable in HD as I feel SD channels are borderline useless. Nothing like SD on a 4K set. Haha

Reactions: Kizzer and Spike
No matter what anyone posts or says, PQ between the two is as JSheridan says is pretty much a toss up. I can see where there could be a preference for one over the other as Directv is just a little sharper, though not so much more now if you have a Hopper. But DISH to me has a little better color is just a little softer. Getting your TV adjusted correctly can make a difference and it could be a different for a Directv input or a DISH input. SD to my eyes is easily better with DISH. I just found that if I had a Hopper I would have to adjust my TV some.

I'm posting this as I am watching the new show Harry the first episode from yesterday. It looks soft and almost out of focus on DISH. Luckily I also have a Tivo and guess what. Looks the same there from OTA so I know it isn't DISH. In fact it has the same look Kelly Live has, easily seen as softer than other programs.
NCIS is often soft looking also. So you can't rush to judgement when you see a program on one provider and it looks bad.

I'd agree with both statements. Programs do seem softer than Directv. That's a good description of the difference that I see. The artifacts I see on the Wireless Joey could be related to the modulation/coding scheme between the access point and the Joey.

I'm just an HD only kind of guy. That's about my only gripe with Dish is that I wish they had more HD. On the flip side, I do like that SD is in the 16:9 format. I can zoom into them and the picture isn't distorted. I don't think Directv was setup that way.

But really, I wouldn't choose a provider solely on PQ. Just not that big of a difference. Plus, you're eyes are going to get use to it anyways after a certain amount of time, since you're not comparing both day by day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)