Switching from Directv to COMCAST!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I only use comcast for internet and its great. Besides that i wouldn't dare use them for anything else!

My cable company went from Charter Cable,to CoBridge,to Knology. The programing never changed though except that they dropped MLB network,NHL Network,MLB Extra Innings,& NHL Center Ice. Charter would only allow you as a maximum,1 HD DVR,1 HD receiver,& 2 SD receivers,& forget multi-room viewing,what's that? Of course you could supplement their minimum receiver offerings with a TiVo DVR,HD or otherwise,but that was their limit,& I doubt that it has changed with the subsequent change of ownership(& now Knology is putting itself up for sale). satellite TV is the best way to go where I live & it seems like the overwhelming majority of my neighbors agree as I see a lot of satellite dishes when I drive around my town & neighborhood.

rey_1178 said:
I only use comcast for internet and its great. Besides that i wouldn't dare use them for anything else!

In our market Internet+Basic cable is only a few cents more per month that Internet only so I carry the Basic cable package as well. It came in handy a couple weeks ago when Tribune stations went dark on DirecTV a couple weeks ago.

Generally, though, I agree with others about Comcast service. I'm trying to get Comcast Business Internet installed in a site I support. I spent an hour arguing with the tech onsite listening to all the reasons why he couldn't bring service where we needed it (he actually even suggested going with ATT) and that he would have to have construction involved with an undetermined lead time and expense - keep in mind service already existed in the building. After we finally found a compromise (with a different tech) the install had to be rescheduled. I spent another hour on the phone, being forced to dial four different numbers, being transferred three times, getting dropped once only trying to find out what type of connection the analog voice service was being handed off on. I was finally told they couldn't tell me that until AFTER the service was installed.

I swear I have no idea how that company actually gets anything done!

In our market Internet+Basic cable is only a few cents more per month that Internet only so I carry the Basic cable package as well. It came in handy a couple weeks ago when Tribune stations went dark on DirecTV a couple weeks ago.

Generally, though, I agree with others about Comcast service. I'm trying to get Comcast Business Internet installed in a site I support. I spent an hour arguing with the tech onsite listening to all the reasons why he couldn't bring service where we needed it (he actually even suggested going with ATT) and that he would have to have construction involved with an undetermined lead time and expense - keep in mind service already existed in the building. After we finally found a compromise (with a different tech) the install had to be rescheduled. I spent another hour on the phone, being forced to dial four different numbers, being transferred three times, getting dropped once only trying to find out what type of connection the analog voice service was being handed off on. I was finally told they couldn't tell me that until AFTER the service was installed.

I swear I have no idea how that company actually gets anything done!
Well alot of the cable guys / installers are contractors or sub contractors.

Comcast is big they can move most of it in house and that can give them more control over the techs.

Just a comment or two about cable tv and direct tv in general.

I have Insight cable for my internet and Direct TV for my TV, no landlines since 2003...use cellphones. I get a call from Insight, they want to 'check' the internet connection and modem. Service tech comes over checks the connection and modem and everything is OK, asks some questions about who my TV provider is, I tell him Direct TV then asks about the phone service I tell him we use cell phones.

He then starts a sales pitch for Insight's 'digital HD cable' and mentions Vonage and a 'bundle' deal. So Insight didn't want to check my modem connection...they sent the tech over for a sales pitch to drop Direct TV and go to Insight cable...He promised 'great deals' on HD TV throughout the house with DVR and packages.

I asked him if Insight fixed the pixelation problems and the picture occasionally stopping. He said that there is no issues with their 'service'. I told him I was at a friends house in Villa Hills and they have digital HD Insight and the picture looked horrible the audio and video were out of sync, with pixelation. I also told him about the local take out place down the street has Insight cable and always has ESPN on their TV and seems every time I go there I notice the video stops and stutters while the audio portion is normal.

The tech insisted that their cable TV service is really good, and there are no problems. I asked him if they had the MLB network and a bunch of other channels, and they did not. I showed him all the Dayton and Cincinnati channels on OTA and asked him if I could get Dayton as well as Cincinnati with cable...It was at that point he got the hint, chances are they won't be 'checking the modem' or connections...for a long time...

My cable company went from Charter Cable,to CoBridge,to Knology. The programing never changed though except that they dropped MLB network,NHL Network,MLB Extra Innings,& NHL Center Ice. Charter would only allow you as a maximum,1 HD DVR,1 HD receiver,& 2 SD receivers,& forget multi-room viewing,what's that? Of course you could supplement their minimum receiver offerings with a TiVo DVR,HD or otherwise,but that was their limit,& I doubt that it has changed with the subsequent change of ownership(& now Knology is putting itself up for sale). satellite TV is the best way to go where I live & it seems like the overwhelming majority of my neighbors agree as I see a lot of satellite dishes when I drive around my town & neighborhood.

This is why cable is failing in my area WOW! to Buy Knology for $1.5B - 2012-04-18 14:48:09 | Multichannel News . From Charter to CoBridge to Knology & now to WOW!(WideOpenWest). At least we knew who Knology was. Meanwhile the very limited (HD) programing stays the same(all of the newspaper & internet guides still list our cable TV programing as Charter because only the shingle on the front of our local cable office changed & nothing else). We'll never see Uverse or FIOS here in my lifetime & most likely the lifetime of my children & grandchildren. Satellite TV is the only way to go here.

This is why cable is failing in my area WOW! to Buy Knology for $1.5B - 2012-04-18 14:48:09 | Multichannel News . From Charter to CoBridge to Knology & now to WOW!(WideOpenWest). At least we knew who Knology was. Meanwhile the very limited (HD) programing stays the same(all of the newspaper & internet guides still list our cable TV programing as Charter because only the shingle on the front of our local cable office changed & nothing else). We'll never see Uverse or FIOS here in my lifetime & most likely the lifetime of my children & grandchildren. Satellite TV is the only way to go here.
WOW! competes with Comcast and U-Verse where I live. As a matter of fact I have my internet/phone service from them. They don't have the most channels (HD or SD), but they do have good customer service, especially compared to Comcast and U-Verse. They are reasonably priced and their pricing/service is very simple to understand and their entire digital basic tier (i.e channels like NatGeo, AMC, History, etc) is in clear QAM. I don't know how Knology is, but I bet things will improve after WOW! gets established in those areas. They have a new WHDVR from Arris (Moxy) that has six tuners (although it is pricey).

WOW! competes with Comcast and U-Verse where I live. As a matter of fact I have my internet/phone service from them. They don't have the most channels (HD or SD), but they do have good customer service, especially compared to Comcast and U-Verse. They are reasonably priced and their pricing/service is very simple to understand. I don't know how Knology is, but I bet things will improve after WOW! gets established in those areas.

The problem is that we went through now 4 companies in 2 years. The constant change of ownership did not allow for new services to be started in our area. Knology actually has better channel choices,both HD & SD,next door in Augusta,GA,they just have not integrated services with our town(& we're in the same metro area). Probably the reason was because Knology was putting itself up for sale,but it doesn't inspire confidence in our area that the cable TV offerings will improve anytime soon. And then,how do we know that WOW! won't try to sell our market to someone else we never heard of? Comcast would be the logical choice because it has a footprint in Augusta,GA & surrounding areas,but our area never seems to operate by logic.
In the end,this is why satellite TV will always be big in my area.

The problem is that we went through now 4 companies in 2 years. The constant change of ownership did not allow for new services to be started in our area. Knology actually has better channel choices,both HD & SD,next door in Augusta,GA,they just have not integrated services with our town(& we're in the same metro area). Probably the reason was because Knology was putting itself up for sale,but it doesn't inspire confidence in our area that the cable TV offerings will improve anytime soon. And then,how do we know that WOW! won't try to sell our market to someone else we never heard of? Comcast would be the logical choice because it has a footprint in Augusta,GA & surrounding areas,but our area never seems to operate by logic. In the end,this is why satellite TV will always be big in my area.
I totally agree with you on satellite being a better choice. That's why i don't have cable or U-Verse as my tv provider. But WOW! has been a buyer during the last year. I don't think they've positioned themselves to be bought out.

didn't you have uverse once before?

Yes when it first came out when there was a two HD stream limit. Directv will be going on pause, and isnt going anywhere until I can see how things are going to work out. Comcast obviously F*ed up so they are out... We will see what Uverse can do.. Dish isnt an option as they dont offer my RSN in HD all the time otherwise I would just switch to them.

Plesently surprised from Uverse! Guy showed up on time at 130, and install was done 20 min ago. Roughly 2 hours. I was able to get provisioned for 4 HD streams and the tech said that they are looking to have 6 by the this time next year. PQ is a downgrade from D* but not as bad as it used to be, as it seems like they have better encoders now. I am bundled with the 18 meg internet and phone. Stay tuned! :)

So you went from 50 to 18 meg internet service? Ouch. I use Comcast for internet and phone. Works great. I suggest sending a message to @comcastcares on Twitter.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

So you went from 50 to 18 meg internet service? Ouch.

I suppose occasionally it's nice having a 50 meg service when downloading a large file, but what's the point really? It's like having a car that does 200 mph. Where can you drive that fast? I have 20 meg service. It fits my needs and then some.

Dish sucks, no point in even looking at them as they wont even offer my HDRSN in full time! Now that I am out of my D* contract, adding E! in hd only isnt really going to cut it.. I need like a 30 channel festivus to keep me with Directv, Comparing with our local comcast wich just turned off all of the analogs on the system, I would get that festivus by switching. I'm putting my directv on hold for now, but It looks like I will be getting thier best TV package, (Triple play preemier) Premier + Phone + 50 meg internet service for 238.84 a month. Triple Play Premier $ 164.99, Modem $ 7, 3 anyroom dvr box $ 8.95/ each, Extreme 50 $ 40 Monthly rate, Total: $ 238.84 My average bill with directv is the same with the NFLST, and all. Looking at what I am paying with comcast, I just combined 3 bills into one at the same price I normally pay for directv. I get my HDRSN in HD all the time, and I get just every channel in HD on the new system they have launched. I will give it a test drive and report back! :)

What are you smoking? Comcrap Sportsnet is in HD 24/7. We even get the alternate feeds in HD. Your post said you were in Chicagoland.

He's already cancelled Comcast and DIsh doesnt carry CSN Chicago in HD 24/7...heck they may not even carry the feed in HD for the games

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts