switching from dish to charter tv

sam1070

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
yakima wa
hello has anyone had any experience with charter tv and switching to there tv and internet from dish and centrylink i currently have the hopper with hte super joey and two joey set up as well as centlyink for internet at idtap or pair bonded at 20 megs and 2 megs ups i am just trying to wiegh my options i am out of contract with dish now so i am just exploring my options right now thanks
ps i am typign from a phone please excuse pseeling errors etc

hello has anyone had any experience with charter tv and switching to there tv and internet from dish and centrylink i currently have the hopper with hte super joey and two joey set up as well as centlyink for internet at idtap or pair bonded at 20 megs and 2 megs ups i am just trying to wiegh my options i am out of contract with dish now so i am just exploring my options right now thanks
It seems odd that you have a Super Joey and are off commitment.

You'll be much, much happier with Charter's broadband service.

Charter where I am is severely lacking in sports coverage. You can look at the packages and compare for yourself as none of us knows what your household needs.

Charter's promo prices are very attractive but their long-term pricing is pretty stiff. I was paying almost $70 for basic analog a couple of years ago; well over $1/channel/month.

It seems odd that you have a Super Joey and are off commitment.

You'll be much, much happier with Charter's broadband service.

Charter where I am is severely lacking in sports coverage. You can look at the packages and compare for yourself as none of us knows what your household needs.

Charter's promo prices are very attractive but their long-term pricing is pretty stiff. I was paying almost $70 for basic analog a couple of years ago; well over $1/channel/month.

The sports offerings are fine in my area. I can't think of any I used to watch on Dish that I don't get with Charter. ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, ESPNews, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Fox Sports Detroit, Big Ten Network, SEC Network, NFL Network, MLB Network, NBC Sports.

I will say that NHL Network isn't included in my package and I'm not sure about NBA TV but I never watched those channels.

I have the dish 250 packages what package dues charter offer like the rush 250 package

The closest comparison is Charter Spectrum Silver. That's my package and I pay $97 for a bundle with 60Mbps internet including taxes and cable card rental for my Tivo. It's similar to AT 250 except HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime are included.

I don't use their equipment since I have a Tivo but if you do you will have to pay $6.99 per DVR.. They are currently doing a promotion where DVR service is free but it's normally $19.99 per month on top of the DVR lease fee. Again, if you use a Tivo you can avoid that fee.

I pay one $2 cable card fee and it covers my Tivo Roamio and Tivo Mini.

Before you make the jump take a look at their dvr. How many tuners, how big a hd. Can you attach an ehd.
For 2 years I had a special promo with TWC. Their dvr was very limited when compared to a Hopper. As son as the promo was over and TWC wanted to raise my rate by close to $50, I canceled TWC cable but kept the internet.

I see only there tuners are only two there supposed to be rolling at a worlbox with more tuners and thanks I don't have TiVo boxes are they worth the price for them

I see only there tuners are only two there supposed to be rolling at a worlbox with more tuners and thanks I don't have TiVo boxes are they worth the price for them

I think they are. Charter doesn't have very good DVRs. I bought a Roamio basic because I wanted to be able to use it with either OTA or Cable so I'm free to cancel whenever I want and not lose my recordings. Charter doesn't have contracts and that's one of their biggest selling points in my opinion. The Roamio basic has 4 tuners and comes with a 500GB Hard Drive and support for external hard drives. The internal drive is user replaceable up to 3TB though so I quickly put in a 2TB drive.

The Roamio Plus can only be used with cable but it comes with 6 tuners and a 1TB Drive. The Roamio Pro is essentially the same as the Roamio Plus except it has a 3TB Hard Drive. I recommend the Basic or Plus depending on how many tuners you need and whether you want OTA since the drive is easily upgraded.

The Pro and Plus have Tivo's version of Sling built in too.

I may be making this change in time myself. I am trying to sell my house and land and move closer to where I work. With age 70+ miles one way is getting to me. Anyway, the the town I am looking to move to that is about 30 miles from work is served by Charter. They have Charter Spectrum available and appear to have nearly everything in HD, plus the 60 Mbps Internet. The price is what would lead me to think about trying the TV service. I would hate to give up my Hoppers, and I understand Charter's DVRs are terrible, but I have read good things about the Tivos for cable. Only thing is the upfront cost for the Tivo equipment. Of course, a lot of water will have to flow under the bridge before I get to that point. I have to get my place sold a and find what I want.

I went to Charter for internet & phone about 15 months ago from Centurylink. VERY happy with them. I went from an average 9 meg down/.75 up to an average 66 down/4.5 up. I came very close to going to them for TV 2 months ago but when I called Dish they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I'll see what happens when my year of credits expires. I'll be interested in the "Worldbox" thing if/when it's available as well.
Ed
BTW, You CAN add an external hard drive to Charter's receivers.

I had been bundled with Charter for Internet and phone, while I was with DISH. Very happy with Internet speeds which is never below 65 megs. After I dropped DISH last summer I added their bottom tier and use my TIVO Roamio basic for DVR service. As has been stated you end up only paying for the MCard and that is 2 per month. I save nearly $60 per month with all three bundled. I doubt you would be happy with Charter's DVR, very basic two channels capable to watch or record. I never used DISH for OTA channels, which is why I had a basic TIVO already in place and am happy I did.

Reactions: old corps
Like most cable it probably will depend on your particular location. Your timing of this post is great, last night at my Friend's house I was able to see both Charter and Direct TV side by side as he now has both. (The complex includes basic Charter) I have DISH and as my eyes have told me even before the comparison I now know where I am in Eastern Ct. the picture from Charter is not as good as DISH or Direct. I'm including that he is not a single user and perhaps the set up is degrading the picture. We all agree his picture is the same as my other friends who have Charter at home, which is to say not as good as when they see my DISH picture or his Direct TV picture. For lack of a better word it is blurry, like it needs to be focused a little better. That's the best description I can give. On it's own with no comparison perhaps it looks good but as soon as you see DISH or Direct there is a difference.

That said, I must say their internet seems to always have at the very least the minimum speed advertised and most often the full speed. My only complaint is the same as having any cable service, it goes out somewhat often, from auto accidents to trees down etc.. They also do run decent intro rates and they seem to be honest when you talk to them. Their website like most Cable isn't as clear as to what you get and what it costs as the DISH or Direct websites. When I call to get my discount every few months for Internet they ask about me getting their TV service. When I ask questions to their credit I get direct answers.
As mentioned after the intro rates at least here they are quite alot more expensive than DISH for me. Direct is $180 more a year, Charter would be somewhat the same. (I get a discount already by calling them every few months to renew it, a little hassle but it's a savings of $19 a month)

Also just make sure you are actually off contract with DISH since you mentioned you have a Super Joey.

Like most cable it probably will depend on your particular location. Your timing of this post is great, last night at my Friend's house I was able to see both Charter and Direct TV side by side as he now has both. (The complex includes basic Charter) I have DISH and as my eyes have told me even before the comparison I now know where I am in Eastern Ct. the picture from Charter is not as good as DISH or Direct. I'm including that he is not a single user and perhaps the set up is degrading the picture. We all agree his picture is the same as my other friends who have Charter at home, which is to say not as good as when they see my DISH picture or his Direct TV picture. For lack of a better word it is blurry, like it needs to be focused a little better. That's the best description I can give. On it's own with no comparison perhaps it looks good but as soon as you see DISH or Direct there is a difference.

That said, I must say their internet seems to always have at the very least the minimum speed advertised and most often the full speed. My only complaint is the same as having any cable service, it goes out somewhat often, from auto accidents to trees down etc.. They also do run decent intro rates and they seem to be honest when you talk to them. Their website like most Cable isn't as clear as to what you get and what it costs as the DISH or Direct websites. When I call to get my discount every few months for Internet they ask about me getting their TV service. When I ask questions to their credit I get direct answers.
As mentioned after the intro rates at least here they are quite alot more expensive than DISH for me. Direct is $180 more a year, Charter would be somewhat the same. (I get a discount already by calling them every few months to renew it, a little hassle but it's a savings of $19 a month)

Also just make sure you are actually off contract with DISH since you mentioned you have a Super Joey.
Using my TIVO and with Charter here having made the swap to Switched Digital Video, I can honestly say I feel that Charter's PQ is better, but then I am using my TIVO box and not Charter's. Not to mention Charter offers more HD channels than either sat company.

Using my TIVO and with Charter here having made the swap to Switched Digital Video, I can honestly say I feel that Charter's PQ is better, but then I am using my TIVO box and not Charter's. Not to mention Charter offers more HD channels than either sat company.

Thanks for the post. Can you comment on their on demand? Trying to watch supposedly HD programs from Dish on Demand is too painful to watch.

Ed

Thanks for the post. Can you comment on their on demand? Trying to watch supposedly HD programs from Dish on Demand is too painful to watch.

Ed

I know I'm not the person you asked but I can tell you that on demand doesn't work with a Tivo. It's no big deal to me because I have plenty of tuners and storage space to just record what I want to watch. If you try to sign up with Charter and a Tivo they will try to push you into getting one of their boxes specifically for on demand. In my opinion all the other benefits to using a Tivo easily outweigh the lack of on demand support though.

Reactions: old corps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts