Switching from Dish to Direct, have a few questions prior to installation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TalonStryk

Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
North Carolina
Hi,

I'm currently scheduled for a Genie+Genie Mini Install next week, and I have a few questions about Direct TV and their Whole Home DVR implementation. To give a little background, I live in a townhome that has 2 dedicated coax drops--one to the living room where the Dish DVR (a 922k) resides, and another one to the Master bedroom. The TV in the master bedroom is connected to the 922k's TV2 output via a back feed. The satellite dish is mounted to the room of our detached garage in the rear, and there is a buried cable running from the dish to the house through our small backyard.

1) For the Genie, should I be expecting an HR34 or an HR44. My understanding is that the HR44 is now available for installations in some areas, but not all (I'm in North Carolina if that makes a difference). Are there any functional advantages to the HR44, or is the main advantage the smaller form factor?

2) Will the Direct TV installer be able to use the cable running from my current satellite dish, or will they have to run a new drop? Looking at the cable, it looks like a double, outdoor-rated RG6 cable (as in there appears to be separate RG6 cables inside the same installation). My neighbor, who has Direct, has a single, outdoor rated RG6 cable. I'm trying to avoid having to run a new cable as it would require digging up part of my wife's small garden in our back yard, and she would not be amused.

3) When the old dish network satellite dish is removed from the garage roof, what should I use to fill the holes to rainwater from coming into the garage?

4) For Whole Home DVR, my understanding is that Direct TV uses DECA (which is a variant of the MOCA standard) adapters to connect the Genie to the Genie Mini, and the actual video is transmitted via UPNP. How exactly is the hardware connected? My dilemma is this--I have gotten to the point where I am not happy with my DSL internet, and would like to use TimeWarner for internet, but Direct TV for TV. With only two dedicated RG6 drops, I know I will have to keep one free for Time Warner and the other for DirectTV. I had an electrician come and look at the house, and due to the construction of the house and the HOA bylaws it is not possible to run another dedicated drop. What he can do is run an RG6 connection from the master bedroom to the living room. Could the Genie and Genie Mini be linked in a supported fashion via the new coax drop between the living room and master bedroom? I am also have Cat6 utp cable run at the same time between the rooms if that could be used instead of the coax (I know the Hopper and Joey can be linked via ethernet, but it is unsupported).

5) I know this may not be the correct forum to ask this particular question in, but does anyone know offhand what type of cable Time Warner runs from the their Point-Of-Presence to a residence? The Time Warner POP is behind the garage, and there is a small conduit pipe which runs under the garage right to the back of the house (but the Dish installers were unable to fish the cable, hence the buried line). If I can figure out what cable type Time Warner uses, I am going to have the electrician attempt to fish the cable through the conduit.

Thank you for the help!

1. The 44 is capable of being wireless. Also supposebto run faster.

2. If the drop in place is in good shape and RG6, you should be good to go and Yes they would be able to use it, provided it goes to where they need it.

3. Tar, roof cement if your talking about On the roof.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts