switching from dish to direct

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jjnanj

Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Garden City, MI
hi all.

we are looking to drop our dish service in march when our contract is up.

we have been eyeing direct for the nfl package next year (especially since i am tired of giving the ford family my money for season tickets.)

we were just wondering exactly what do we have to look forward to in this transition?

we did not buy our equipment with dish, and like i said, the contract ends in march.

thanks to all who reply!!

jjanj,

I made the switchover in September of 2007, and while no service is perfect, I have been very satisfied with DirecTV and would not go back to Dish.

My major reason is why I watch TV: programming. Dish's business model seems to be "let's see how little we can pay providers for programming." As a result, they seem to get into constant retrans arguments with national providers and local stations, and the viewer is left staring at a blank screen for days and weeks while Dish plays its little games of brinksmanship with the providers.

On the other hand, DirecTV's business model seems to be, "we'll pay what it takes to secure programming, and pass the costs on to the customer." This makes DirecTV a more expensive proposition but a more reliable one, in my opinion. Barring a change of ownership I can't see Dish ever securing premium sports packages such as MLB Extra Innings or NFL Sunday Ticket.

I will say that DirecTV is not above gouging customers, particularly on Sunday Ticket. Unless they change their arrangement, if you want to watch SD in high-def you must get the SuperFan package and spend another hundred bucks on top of the Sunday Ticket subscription. That's not right, and it's why I won't renew SD for '09.

Everyone will have their own reasons for subscribing to a particular service. But as I said, considering the major reason I watch TV is the programming alternatives, I am content to stay with DirecTV when my contract expires this September. Good luck!

$40+- a month to be able to watch any any game out of market seems to me a great deal, but each to his own, if you cant see the value then its obviously not for you. SuperFan is debatable, but once you watch a game in HD it is worth every penny vs the 1950's version of the game.

Some things to expect in the transition....

1. The function is virtually the same... the way you navigate and general remote commands. Buttons may be backwards from what your used to. SD Boxes with D* are not RF capable.

2. If you have say a 4 room system with 2 E* boxes, 2 new lines will more than likely need to be run to the sets that do not have boxes now.

3. Request that the tech remove the old dish and mast, he should leave the footing attached to the roof to avoid leaks. There may be a charge for this, but E* sometimes will want the LNB (eye) of the dish returned. The Dish mounting system is not compatible with D*'s HD Dish.

4. D* DVR's need 2 lines as homeruns to the distribution point, unless you are assigned to use a new technology called SWM (single wire multiswitch)

5. D* will have a 24 month contract and all receivers are leased and you may have to pay extra for advanced equipment, look for specials for FREE HD or FREE HDBOXES.

6. Not everything in an install is free, there are things that are chargeable. If D* promises you a Free Wall Fish or Free Pole mount, you will still have to pay the tech and D* will recoup if they note your account. Always get Employee numbers from those giving promises.

I made the switch today actually, it was perfect. My installer took down my E* dish, set me up in four rooms, and showed me what I needed to know to work the thing. You should have just taken the $26 dollar hit and signed up like I did last week. I saved $30 a month for a year by doing this with their online promotion. They have better HD channels, the ability to record via cell phone or internet that is available now and everything else they offer; it is truly a great deal. I just dont trust Dish anymore, that made my decision alot easier, just go with what you know.

Since Sunday Ticket is your dream, I'd stick it out with E* until DirecTV offers their premium service along with free Sunday Ticket & SF in the fall (if they offer something like they did last year which they usually do) You get all the premiums plus the football package locked in for a while. Then you can just reduce the package that you want to maintain.

edit: It might be possible right now to ask about this deal & get D* services now & have that deal kick in once fall hits.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)