Switching from Dish to Directv

OhioDon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Ohio
I am having Directv installed Monday morning. I have a question about installation: I told them I have two tvs and want wireless Genie. I think my order says I am getting two wireless Genie Minis. I believe there is also a Genie server (or base). Does the Genie Server need to be connected to a tv? Or, does the server just sit in a closet connected to the satellite and to the other box that sends the signal to the wireless Genies?

If it's a Genie 2 (HS17) it can be installed anywhere as it's just a headless server. Gotta ask though, why do you want wireless?

They're okay, but they're not as dependable as the wired clients.

If it's a Genie 2 (HS17) it can be installed anywhere as it's just a headless server. Gotta ask though, why do you want wireless?

They're okay, but they're not as dependable as the wired clients.

Just to simplify setup. My wife doesn't like installers crawling around and drilling holes, etc. And I can them move them to different tv if I want.

How bad are the wireless clients?

I believe I also read that picture in picture is only available on the tv connected to the main Genie server. How does that work if it is not connected to a tv?

Can I just ask the installer when he arrives or do I need to request these in advance...???

You can call and ask, but probably won’t do any good since their systems consider both wireless clients as equal, no way to specify. So I say to ask the installer when he calls to say he’s on the way.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Do the wireless Genie Minis require line of sight to the remote control? Can I operate them from another room and/or have them hidden behind other stereo components?

Sounds bar support is built into the Genie remotes.
Wireless is good but at my house we have lots of radio interference so wired is rock solid, Search the threads others have had issue with Wireless.
KEY POINT: before you sign off and the tech leaves check a lot of Sports and Movie channels looking for pixel drops or sound cut outs. If none, then you should be good to go.

I think I will be charged $7 per month for the second wireless Genie. If I only have two tvs, do I need the second Genie?

I think I will be charged $7 per month for the second wireless Genie. If I only have two tvs, do I need the second Genie?

You are allowed only one Genie on an account. IIRC you can have 8 Genie Mimi clients on the account that the one Genie server. The first client is included in the monthly charge, every extra costs $7/month.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

What if I have a sound bar that does not accept RF? Do I need to use a separate remote for volume?
Probably not. I use RF for my HR44 and the volume on the peanut remote works my sound bar just fine. The remote won't turn on the bar automatically but operating the volume control activates it.

I recommend avoiding the HS-17 if you can. I’ve had one before, it was nothing but trouble for me.

I've had one for more than two years. No complaints.

Two wired 4K clients that are solid and two wireless that are okay. The wireless clients are in rooms that are not imperative. One's in an office and one gets moved around between a spare bedroom and the porch. They're okay but they do disconnect from time to time.

Reactions: CycloneSat
I've had one for more than two years. No complaints.

Two wired 4K clients that are solid and two wireless that are okay. The wireless clients are in rooms that are not imperative. One's in an office and one gets moved around between a spare bedroom and the porch. They're okay but they do disconnect from time to time.
Same. HS17 with 6 wired clients. Zero issues

Reactions: CycloneSat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts