Switching from Dishplayer 7100 to 921 -- what switches?

jwvess00

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Hi there!

I have had my Dishplayer 7100 since '99, and it's on its last legs. I recently acquired a Dish 921 and will be taking the 7100 out of service.

I have a connection question, assuming Dish will activate it (considering the recent injunction -- it's used so maybe? Or maybe not since it is not currently activated as of the injunction as it is on a UPS truck right now).

I don't have the 921 in-hand yet -- it's in transit -- so I'm asking some questions before it gets here.

My current system is a Dish 500 dish, a SW21 switch, and the Dishplayer 7100. The current LNB is the one that shipped with the Dish 500 dish, and has two outputs -- one for each satellite.

I only subscribe to SD channels (Top 250) and do not have any current plans for HD programming (no HD TV yet).

I *assume* the existing LNB and dish will work, and I'll need additional hardware to feed the two tuners in the 921.

1) How do I connect both tuners to the Dish 500's LNB? Do I connect another switch to the incoming cable currently connected to the 7100 to connect to both tuners? Do I need to replace the SW21?

2) Do I need a different LNB instead of the one I've got? Would that simplify the installation (i.e. use a different LNB instead of a series of switches)? I "grew up" in the C-band world and there you can spend a lot of time (and cash) chasing different LNBs...

3) For now, can I connect the single cable that currently goes to the 7100's input to one of the 921's tuners? I won't have the dual-tuner capability, but I would at least get the receiver in service that way until I resolved what I need to get to make both tuners work.

Thanks for the advice.

You have a variety of options, IMO you're better served deep-sixing your current (Legacy) switch/LNB combo in lieu of a DP+ Twin. With that LNB you can stick with just using one feed.

Keep in mind you'll also need a DP separator. Essentially it "looks" like a splitter. You simply run your one feed to the separator and then run the two outputs to your receiver.

1. some more cable and another SW21
2. nah. You COULD swap it out for a Legacy or DishPro Twin (or Quad) if you want. They have the switches internally
3. I think you need both tuners active for it to work.

Hi there!

I dug around a bit, and I found my extra SW21 (for whatever reason I remembered having two, but only one in service).

So, given I have a Dish 500 dish and a legacy two-output LNB (one output per satellite), and I have two SW21 switches on-hand, how would I connect it to the dual tuner inputs on the 921?

Thanks for the help.

If your legacy dish500 has only one wide LNBF unit instead of two duals, then it's a twin. Each output will give you both satellites - there's an internal switch - you don't need the SW21s. Just run a second cable, connect them both to the 921 and to the LNBF.

If you have two duals, connect one output of each to each of the SW21s then both SW21s to the 921.

Hopefully you have two duals, if so just run second line exactly like the first line using the second sw21 switch. You shouldn't have to repoint your dish but you may have to fine tune it for both tuners. Once connect to each input of the 921, run a switch test and you are done.
Notes, the 921 gets ota and will dvr the Digital/HD channels, but not analog or cable. It also switches outputs between all the sd outputs (coax rf, composite and s-video). If you see a blue light on, press the sd/hd button on the remote (located in between the menu and tv power button near the top end of the remote) and a yellow light should be lit. You can also hook this into a high def tv, you can switch it to HD output for either component or dvi output but the rf, composite and s-video outs are shut off. All outputs are available when first plugged in or when it reboots. Just a heads up.

They haven't been authorizing 921's for HD service for awhile.

And reports are they will no longer authorize 921's at all because of the TiVo court order.

Hi there!

They haven't been authorizing 921's for HD service for awhile.

And reports are they will no longer authorize 921's at all because of the TiVo court order.

The HD thing doesn't bother me that much, because I don't have HD programming and I don't have an HD TV yet. I was shopping for a 721 when I found a good deal on this 921 and jumped on it.

The not authorizing 921s due to the TiVo order is the part that I'm sweating right now. The box I have is used and was in service prior to the injunction (just not by me) so I'm hoping that they'll turn it on. I'm not confident, though, and if they say no then I guess I'll have to go a different route.

If only UPS had delivered it a couple of days ago! :(

jwvess00 said:
My current system is a Dish 500 dish, a SW21 switch, and the Dishplayer 7100. The current LNB is the one that shipped with the Dish 500 dish, and has two outputs -- one for each satellite.
This part makes it hard to understand what you actually have. Carefully read posts 5 & 6 and see EKB: What is Dish 500? for pictures.

Or forget all that and go with the first response: replace whatever's on the dish with a DPP Twin.

Hi there!

Sorry about the confusion. The dish isn't in the most accessible place. I just went out there and took a good look at it. There are two LNBFs -- Dish p/n bs1h1up201m. They're mounted to a bracket that is labeled 119 and 110, and each has a single cable going from it to the SW21.

Using the above link as a guide, it is a Dish 500 20" dish and two individual LNBs.

Hi there!

Sorry about the confusion. The dish isn't in the most accessible place. I just went out there and took a good look at it. There are two LNBFs -- Dish p/n bs1h1up201m. They're mounted to a bracket that is labeled 119 and 110, and each has a single cable going from it to the SW21.

Using the above link as a guide, it is a Dish 500 20" dish and two individual LNBs.

There is a screw holding each lnb in place right where the markings are for 110 and 119. If you remove the screws you should be able to remove the lnb's. If there is a second output on each lnb all you need to do is run some RG-6 coax to your sw21 switch and another RG-6 to the receiver.

Hi there!

I got my 921 hooked up today. The short answer is that I was successful in getting it working with my existing equipment.

The longer story. I first hooked up my single cable from the SW21 to Input 1 on the 921. A switch check verified that it did find a signal on Input 1 and it was working, but input 2 was not (obviously) and it didn't like that. It did let me exit from that menu, and channel 101 came up. I figured that was a Good Thing.

The 921 came with a piece of hardware claiming to be a Separator. It had three coaxial ports. On one side, two ports were labeled "Satellite 1 In" and "Satellite 2 In" and each of these had a short piece of coax cable already connected. The other side had a single port labeled "Input". Now, as an EE I don't really know what to make of a box with three inputs and no visible output :) but I tried the obvious -- I connected the Satellite 1 In and Satellite 2 In connections (with the supplied, pre-attached coax cables) to the receiver's inputs. I connected my existing cable (from the SW21) to the connection on the Separator labeled "Input" .

I powered the system up, and in Setup told it I had a Dish 500, and ran a switch check. The switch check came back good on both inputs. Success!

No, it doesn't work properly with both tuners. PIP, for instance, doesn't work because one tuner can't get a lock on the satellite. I can't see how it would with this setup, but it does get me going until I get the right feedhorn electronics.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Hi there!

Well, I jumped the gun a bit, but I still count it as a win. The switch check passed, but after playing with PIP a bit, I apparently confused it. It's not happy about Input 2.

I'm going to take a good look at my LNBFs to see how many connections each has, but if I remember right (5+ years ago? don't remember when I put it up) it only has one each.

Thanks again for the help. I'm going to look into the DishPro stuff. If I get a DishPro LNBF I assume I need a new mounting bracket for it, right?

Hi there!

I got my 921 hooked up today. The short answer is that I was successful in getting it working with my existing equipment.

The longer story. I first hooked up my single cable from the SW21 to Input 1 on the 921. A switch check verified that it did find a signal on Input 1 and it was working, but input 2 was not (obviously) and it didn't like that. It did let me exit from that menu, and channel 101 came up. I figured that was a Good Thing.

The 921 came with a piece of hardware claiming to be a Separator. It had three coaxial ports. On one side, two ports were labeled "Satellite 1 In" and "Satellite 2 In" and each of these had a short piece of coax cable already connected. The other side had a single port labeled "Input". Now, as an EE I don't really know what to make of a box with three inputs and no visible output :) but I tried the obvious -- I connected the Satellite 1 In and Satellite 2 In connections (with the supplied, pre-attached coax cables) to the receiver's inputs. I connected my existing cable (from the SW21) to the connection on the Separator labeled "Input" .

I powered the system up, and in Setup told it I had a Dish 500, and ran a switch check. The switch check came back good on both inputs. Success!

No, it doesn't work properly with both tuners. PIP, for instance, doesn't work because one tuner can't get a lock on the satellite. I can't see how it would with this setup, but it does get me going until I get the right feedhorn electronics.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
The sw21 is what is known as legacy equipment and is not compatable with DishProPlus equipment which the separator is, you cannot use the two together. You need to hook your existing line to one of the two sat inputs and run a new line to the other sat input.

Hi there!

Well, I jumped the gun a bit, but I still count it as a win. The switch check passed, but after playing with PIP a bit, I apparently confused it. It's not happy about Input 2.

I'm going to take a good look at my LNBFs to see how many connections each has, but if I remember right (5+ years ago? don't remember when I put it up) it only has one each.

Thanks again for the help. I'm going to look into the DishPro stuff. If I get a DishPro LNBF I assume I need a new mounting bracket for it, right?

If the lnb's only have one output each. Get yourself a Dish Pro Plus Twin, use the existing coax from one of the outputs removing the sw21 switch and then hook up the separator as it will work this the new lnb.

Hi there!

This has been a good day. After eating supper I went out to the dish and took the LNBFs loose and looked. They each have two coax connections! :D

So, I'll add more coax to hook up my second SW21, and run that to input 2. I'll connect the existing SW21 to input 1, and remove the separator.

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Hi there!

One more note -- is there any advantage to moving to DishPro hardware over legacy hardware? I don't intend to hook up more than one receiver to this dish.

Hi there!

I have had my Dishplayer 7100 since '99, and it's on its last legs. I recently acquired a Dish 921 and will be taking the 7100 out of service.

I have a connection question, assuming Dish will activate it (considering the recent injunction -- it's used so maybe? Or maybe not since it is not currently activated as of the injunction as it is on a UPS truck right now).

I don't have the 921 in-hand yet -- it's in transit -- so I'm asking some questions before it gets here.

I only subscribe to SD channels (Top 250) and do not have any current plans for HD programming (no HD TV yet).

I *assume* the existing LNB and dish will work, and I'll need additional hardware to feed the two tuners in the 921.

1) How do I connect both tuners to the Dish 500's LNB? Do I connect another switch to the incoming cable currently connected to the 7100 to connect to both tuners? Do I need to replace the SW21?

2) Do I need a different LNB instead of the one I've got? Would that simplify the installation (i.e. use a different LNB instead of a series of switches)? I "grew up" in the C-band world and there you can spend a lot of time (and cash) chasing different LNBs...

3) For now, can I connect the single cable that currently goes to the 7100's input to one of the 921's tuners? I won't have the dual-tuner capability, but I would at least get the receiver in service that way until I resolved what I need to get to make both tuners work.

Thanks for the advice.

Interested in knowing if you have turned on the 921 to your program package?

Hi there!

Yes, the 921 is on my account now.

I called Dish, and told the rep. I wanted to disable my 7100 and turn on a different receiver. She asked if it was new, and I told her that it was a used receiver. I gave her the R00 and S00 numbers, and they turned it on. I did a "factory reset" and everything's okay.

I don't read the injunction like a lot of those on the thread discussing it; it looks to me like Dish doesn't have to do anything to the receivers in customers' hands on the "infringing" list that were placed prior to 4/19 -- they just can't turn on any new receivers past 4/19 on the list, or any that are not on the list but not "colorably different". I'm not a lawyer and I don't feel like getting shouted down, so I'm not jumping in that fray ;) but I think I see why Dish wrote what they did to their retailers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts