Switching from E* to D* questions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

topgman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
LI NY
I am switching from E* to D* and was just wondering if the installer would be able to reuse my existing coax or would they have to rewire the whole house ... I have 4 receivers 2 regular ,1 2tuner HD & 1 2tuner SD any help would be appreciated ... also do they schedule Sat or Sun installs

I am switching from E* to D* and was just wondering if the installer would be able to reuse my existing coax or would they have to rewire the whole house ... I have 4 receivers 2 regular ,1 2tuner HD & 1 2tuner SD any help would be appreciated ... also do they schedule Sat or Sun installs

They should be able to reissues most if not all of your wiring as long as it is RG6 which it should be. The only new wiring that may be needed is to your two tv's that your dual tuners are feeding.

I think it depends on the HSP on if they schedule on Saturday's or Sunday's. I have had Saturday appointments with Directv in the past.

I am a current E* customer of over 3 years now. I decided to change to D* and now have the install set for Friday of this week. Hopefully the install will go as planned. I am currently have the HD-DVR and a HD receiver from E* and plan on getting the D* HD-DVR and a HD receiver. I assume they use the same amount of cables.

Two to the HD-DVR and one to the HD receiver?

Should be an easy install. Just wondering if there is anything else I need to be prepared for, both receivers now have access to phone lines as well. I guess they can remove the two E* dishes and put up the one D* superdish?

Do I need to remove the dishes before they arrive or should I let them do it? Should I have my other receivers unplugged and put away as well? I do not want to cancel E* until D* is up and running or I will cancel while they do the install.

Looking forward to more HD? I will now actually get not just NBC,FOX and CBS HD I will also get ABC now...E* never had ABCHD in my area and according to the D* website it is available in my area...cool.

It is pretty likely that they'll need to run additional cabling for any DVRs, so the existing cable might not be as much of an issue as you think.

Weekend installs are popular. Be prepared to be scheduled many days out.

I am a current E* customer of over 3 years now. I decided to change to D* and now have the install set for Friday of this week. Hopefully the install will go as planned. I am currently have the HD-DVR and a HD receiver from E* and plan on getting the D* HD-DVR and a HD receiver. I assume they use the same amount of cables.

Two to the HD-DVR and one to the HD receiver?

Should be an easy install. Just wondering if there is anything else I need to be prepared for, both receivers now have access to phone lines as well. I guess they can remove the two E* dishes and put up the one D* superdish?

Do I need to remove the dishes before they arrive or should I let them do it? Should I have my other receivers unplugged and put away as well? I do not want to cancel E* until D* is up and running or I will cancel while they do the install.

Looking forward to more HD? I will now actually get not just NBC,FOX and CBS HD I will also get ABC now...E* never had ABCHD in my area and according to the D* website it is available in my area...cool.

Can't say how it will be done with yours. With mine they actually moved the location of where I had my E dishes from the chimney to the roof. It all worked out for me because they worked with me on placing the location so that the new slimline is not visible from the front of the house. I think there are several ways to do the wiring. I will say I was very happy with the install, they did a professional job. But of course there are so many variables with either D or E installers. Good luck.

They should be willing to take your E dishes down. Just be sure to keep the LNBS as dish will want them back when you mail back your receivers.

They should not touch the E* dishes because they are not their's. I could be wrong, but they don't touch anything that isn't part of the install.

When i switched from E TO D the installer did take the dish down and he removed to Lnb and gave them to me. The dish is your not e,s but you will have to return all e leased recievers lnb,s and any switches back to e.

When i switched from E TO D the installer did take the dish down and he removed to Lnb and gave them to me. The dish is your not e,s but you will have to return all e leased recievers lnb,s and any switches back to e.

They took mine down also because they used the same pole to mount the Directv dish on.

Given AMC-14's fun, E*'s / Charlie's vagueness, and I'm just plain tired of waiting for more HD (especially HD LILs, which I can't pick up with an antenna where I am), I'm probably going to move to D* also. $200 or so remaining on the 18mo contract be damned, just another cost of living on the credit card for a bit.

But my condo's walls are, IMO, *very* hard to wire around in. I'm not worried about other rooms where I'll have non-DVR SD receivers. But the one jack for the family room where the HD-DVR is, currently E* uses that splitter thing to feed the two tuners from a single wall jack. Is this possible with D*'s HD-DVR?

Also, the main line from the satellite into the distribution splitters is a dual-coax line. I've heard that D* needs 3 or more lines?

I'd dare wonder if someone could check me on general satellite sighting, if I took a picture of my current dish line-of-sight, and marked where the old installer told me what satellite was where, generally. 110 / 119 I see perfectly fine, 129 is kind of behind some trees, and 61.5 is practically looking into my condo, so it's a no-go. I think I'll be able to see 101.9 okay (or whatever the other third D* main satellite is).

Thanks!

--S

But my condo's walls are, IMO, *very* hard to wire around in. I'm not worried about other rooms where I'll have non-DVR SD receivers. But the one jack for the family room where the HD-DVR is, currently E* uses that splitter thing to feed the two tuners from a single wall jack. Is this possible with D*'s HD-DVR?

Also, the main line from the satellite into the distribution splitters is a dual-coax line. I've heard that D* needs 3 or more lines?

D* is currently working on a "Single Wire Module" (SWM) that is similar, but it is not publicly available yet, which means you do need 2 RG6 runs for DVRs.

And if I'm not mistaken, there are 4 lines from the LNBFs?

SWM is available from independant installers. I have one wire going to two Directv DVR's thru the SWM. Not cheap, $200 but works great on HR21 and has Diectv nae embossed on it. Made originally for MDU multiple dwelling units.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)