Switching from VIP722k's to Hopper/Joey questions

jerrym303

Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
CO
Long time reader, rare poster here.

After almost 8 years with our 2 x Vip722K setup, It may be time to update. We are happy with the functionality with 2 satellite and 2 OTA tuners per unit. However, our 722’s have started doing strange things and I wonder how long these have to go even if Dish sends a refurb.

I have several questions about a Hopper 3/ Joey setup, but it is probably useful to understand our current configuration. I have the two 722s in the basement together. One of them serves 4 of our TV locations and the other serves all 5 using HDMI splitters off the 722s. I put in an IR system which hubs at the 722s so all remote activity is IR. One 722 is on remote address 1 and the other is on remote address 3. Using Harmony remotes, we can access 722-1 or 722-2 at multiple TVs. My wife uses one 722 and I use the other with an EHD with too much crap that I have kept.

We would move to one Hopper 3 and one Joey, one of which would be used in RF remote mode to get around the IR address 1 limitation.

Here are my questions:

1. The primary problem that has held us back from joining the Hopper world to date is the limitation to IR remote address 1. Am I correct that this is still the case? I can probably work around this, but it would be a workaround not optimal.

2. I’m not sure what hookup equipment I need or even what I have. We currently have 3 coax cables coming off the dish because we once had 3 DVRs. Photos of the triplexers for each 722 and the dish are shown below. It looks like I need a solo (whatever that is), a 2-way standard coax splitter and probably a new LNBF. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

3. In terms of installation, the only part of #2 that I have any concern about is installing a new LBNF. Is that easy? I would not get involved in installing a new dish if that is necessary – I don’t think it will be.

4. Is the user experience the same through the Joey as the Hopper 3? Is there any difference?

5. Based upon reading here, we would probably use 40.0 remotes for the RF unit and continue to use Harmony remotes for the IR unit. See any problems?

6. Is there any reason (beyond cost) to get a Joey 3 vs Joey 4K? The Joey maybe used regularly with our single 4K TV if there is any worthwhile 4k content on Dish.

I know that we could use 4 joeys, but I would like to save monthly fees.

From reading here, I have learned that the Hopper/Joey setup lacks the component video output that we use for one tv. We also lose the 2-tv viewing and phone line connection instead or in addition to ethernet. None of those is a deal-breaker. The more limited OTA station scanning functionality could prove to be a pain. However, OTA channels may be less necessary with 16 tuners.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jerry

Here is the link for the pics:

Dropbox - Dish TV - Simplify your life

Reactions: HipKat
Long time reader, rare poster here.

After almost 8 years with our 2 x Vip722K setup, It may be time to update. We are happy with the functionality with 2 satellite and 2 OTA tuners per unit. However, our 722’s have started doing strange things and I wonder how long these have to go even if Dish sends a refurb.

I have several questions about a Hopper 3/ Joey setup, but it is probably useful to understand our current configuration. I have the two 722s in the basement together. One of them serves 4 of our TV locations and the other serves all 5 using HDMI splitters off the 722s. I put in an IR system which hubs at the 722s so all remote activity is IR. One 722 is on remote address 1 and the other is on remote address 3. Using Harmony remotes, we can access 722-1 or 722-2 at multiple TVs. My wife uses one 722 and I use the other with an EHD with too much crap that I have kept.

We would move to one Hopper 3 and one Joey, one of which would be used in RF remote mode to get around the IR address 1 limitation.

Here are my questions:

1. The primary problem that has held us back from joining the Hopper world to date is the limitation to IR remote address 1. Am I correct that this is still the case? I can probably work around this, but it would be a workaround not optimal.

You can pair up to 8 Remotes per receiver so your IR setup would not be needed

2. I’m not sure what hookup equipment I need or even what I have. We currently have 3 coax cables coming off the dish because we once had 3 DVRs. Photos of the triplexers for each 722 and the dish are shown below. It looks like I need a solo (whatever that is), a 2-way standard coax splitter and probably a new LNBF. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Only one coax cable off the dish for a Hopper, The LNB's now are different so the Yolk or LNB Bracket is different, but you just need a Phillips screwdriver to change it. Make your sure the one cable coming to the house is on Port 1 and be careful not to move your dish if it's getting good signal now. And then you'd need a solo hub. So yes, it's easy to change.

3. In terms of installation, the only part of #2 that I have any concern about is installing a new LBNF. Is that easy? I would not get involved in installing a new dish if that is necessary – I don’t think it will be.

See above

4. Is the user experience the same through the Joey as the Hopper 3? Is there any difference?

The only difference between the Hopper and Joey is that the Joey doesn't have YouTube. Otherwise, they are the same. The Hopper is the Host or the Brain. The Joey is just a client. It does nothing more than give you a visual of what the hopper is doing at the location where the Joey is installed. The Hopper is running the show.

5. Based upon reading here, we would probably use 40.0 remotes for the RF unit and continue to use Harmony remotes for the IR unit. See any problems?

You won't get 40 remotes unless you buy them from an online retailer. Everything now comes with the 54.1 Voice remotes. I'd just stick with the Harmonies, if I were you

6. Is there any reason (beyond cost) to get a Joey 3 vs Joey 4K? The Joey maybe used regularly with our single 4K TV if there is any worthwhile 4k content on Dish.

Other than a few events, and a few On Demand shows, there's very little 4K content and the 4K Joey will cost you $50. The Joey 3 is faster, btw, than the 4K

From reading here, I have learned that the Hopper/Joey setup lacks the component video output that we use for one tv. We also lose the 2-tv viewing and phone line connection instead or in addition to ethernet. None of those is a deal-breaker. The more limited OTA station scanning functionality could prove to be a pain. However, OTA channels may be less necessary with 16 tuners.

Phone line conenctions are obsolete, other than seeing Caller ID on the receiver

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jerry

Here is the link for the pics:

Dropbox - Dish TV - Simplify your life

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi Hipkat,

I was hoping that you would weigh in.

Good to hear that I could do the install in case Dish comes up with a large install cost. I prefer to not have them checking out my setup anyway.

The 8 remotes feature does not fix the IR issue as the Address 1 thing still lives on. It does matter that I can link many remotes at different tvs.I am trying to keep one setup fully IR so my wife can just keep using her Harmony One (re-programmed) for everything. As long as the Joey experience is just as good as the Hopper, I would probably assign the Joey as her unit. then I would use the Hopper via RF. The TVs I use are closer to my basement hub, so less chance of an RF problem. Also the Hopper has the external antenna that I could extend.

I do plan to buy 40 remotes (or 54s for that matter) probably at the auction site.

You may have talked me into the Joey 3.0

Thanks!

Reactions: HipKat
Hi Hipkat,

I was hoping that you would weigh in.

Good to hear that I could do the install in case Dish comes up with a large install cost. I prefer to not have them checking out my setup anyway.

The 8 remotes feature does not fix the IR issue as the Address 1 thing still lives on. It does matter that I can link many remotes at different tvs.I am trying to keep one setup fully IR so my wife can just keep using her Harmony One (re-programmed) for everything. As long as the Joey experience is just as good as the Hopper, I would probably assign the Joey as her unit. then I would use the Hopper via RF. The TVs I use are closer to my basement hub, so less chance of an RF problem. Also the Hopper has the external antenna that I could extend.

I do plan to buy 40 remotes (or 54s for that matter) probably at the auction site.

You may have talked me into the Joey 3.0

Thanks!
I've never used Harmony remotes, so I didn't know if they were UHF or IR.

Mostly IR, but I think they now have some RF. That doesn’t necessarily mean they’d be compatible with Dish equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will need to run one unit IR and one unit RF due to the fixed remote 1 address in both the Hopper and the Joey.

For the RF unit, I will still use the harmony to start everything up and run everything when not on dish. Just use the Dish RF remote for Dish.

To clarify my earlier post: The Harmony IR will work with Dish and all other equipment I have heard of, including an obscure HDMI switcher of mine.

It is the RF that may or may not work with Dish equipment. Someone else with first hand knowledge can clarify that. I may be thinking of some other RF equipment that Harmony does not work with.

I heartily endorse Harmony remotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Navychop,

The Harmony remotes we use are strictly IR. I will be able to control one Dish unit (Hopper or Joey) with the Harmony remotes along with everything else at each TV location. This can happen at all 5 locations due my central IR hub.

For the second Dish unit (Hopper or Joey), I will be forced to use Dish's RF remote to control the Dish unit. I will still use the Harmony remote to turn on and off everything and it will control things like Roku and DVD players. Just an inconvenience and extra expense for several Dish remotes, but doable.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)