Switching Hoppers from room to room

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wdavis9

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
meridian, ms
I want to change the location of my two hoppers, put the one in the living room in the bedroom and the bedroom in the living room. I want the timers to stay the same but on the different hoppers. Can I switch the timers from one hopper to the other using the remotes?

Yes, when you do the switch, leave the remotes to those Hoppers in the same room as they were. Next 'pair' those remotes to their new Hopper and then do a restore.

Do I un-pair the existing remote from sys info screen and press sat to pair the new remote and restore timers? Sorry to be so dumb but I don't want to screw up my timers

Yes, from the sys info screen. On the right side of that screen you will see 'Unpair." You'll have to unpair the remotes directly from the original Hoppers. After the move, simply turn on the hoppers and go back to the sys info screen. You do this by turning on the hopper, pushing the sys info button behind the door on the front left. Next simply press and release the Sat button on the remote and it will now pair with that hopper. Then go to the System Wizard (Menu, Settings, Diagnostics, System Wizard) and press Restore.

There are no options on what to restore.

It will restore the entire configuration. There is not a timers only option.

All existing timers are deleted and replaced with what is in the remote, they are not merged.

It would effectively be the same as physically swapping the Hoppers out.

Trying to understand the need to swap them...other than changing the contents of the disk drives to the opposite locations, I can't think of another reason ( unless one is H2k and the other is HWS ) ? By swapping timers you could end up re-recording something that is already on the other hopper...if not all set to "new only".

I looked at the wiring diagram. if I want to swap a joey and HWS , I have to switch the connections at the Duo node also. I wonder if my protection plan will allow this change. Has anyone done the switch and used the protection plan?

I looked at the wiring diagram. if I want to swap a joey and HWS , I have to switch the connections at the Duo node also. I wonder if my protection plan will allow this change. Has anyone done the switch and used the protection plan?

Nope. If you call Dish to relocate receivers, asking to have a tech out to do this, this will be classified as Custom Work. Coded as Relocate Receiver. The cost is $50 plus the cost of a standard tech visit (either $10 or $0 if you have the protection plan), so your cost will be $50 or $60.

Now, if you're asking if you can do it yourself, and if the protection plan "covers" the change, pretty much yes. It could be argued that if a customer moves things, they are no longer covered by the protection plan, but that is a pretty strict reading of it.

Wow! Not a very fair system. It assumes that when you initially had your Hopper System installed, you had perfect knowledge of the system. In fact, you have very little knowledge. So once you have enough knowledge and want to make a change for the better you get ripped off with a costley reinstall. All those folks who plan to get a 4K Joey and move it to their main TV where they currently have a Hopper need to know this potential outrageous cost.. LPP

if someone upgrades to a 4k joey, then a tech will come out and do it as prt of the standard install. It has always been that way. (Should note this is an assumption as the 4k joey hasn't even released yet for consumers to upgrade to). It should also be noted, the wireless joey came out last year and still requires a tech to install if upgraded through dish.

Wow! Not a very fair system. It assumes that when you initially had your Hopper System installed, you had perfect knowledge of the system. In fact, you have very little knowledge. So once you have enough knowledge and want to make a change for the better you get ripped off with a costley reinstall. All those folks who plan to get a 4K Joey and move it to their main TV where they currently have a Hopper need to know this potential outrageous cost.. LPP

It's still not exactly clear why you want to move the receivers, but I don't understand why you think it's Dish's responsibility to handle this for you at no cost for yourself. There is a cost for a Dish tech to come out. The protection plan will give a reduced (or free) tech visit for technical issues, but this is not one...this is a convenience move for your benefit. Same thing if you sign off on where a dish antenna is installed, and you call to have it moved for some reason or anything. It's an extra $50 to do convenience moves like that..to move a TV to another location, to move a receiver, or to move an antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)