Switching Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
2 lnbf's, 1 scalar , 1 nosecone:
Above.JPG Bottom.JPG Nosecone.JPG
Side mounted 58W lnbf temporarily attached with tape and loose clamps. More fine tuning needed on 55W because transponder @ 3772/H is unstable. (Naturally momma thinks she can't live without that one transponder) All other transponders on 58W and 55W seem ok.

Rain on the way so I didn't want to chance getting the tv and receiver wet. Using the receiver meter instead of a satellite meter isn't speeding up the process either.lol.

Thanks everyone for all the help to date!

Reactions: Magic Static
I tweeked the dish for 55W @ 3772/H this morning. Using the Linkbox 9000i, SQ was 89% at the dish... 86% in the house. I checked in the house with the chinese box and had an SQ of 63%.

Whatever the TRUE SQ reading should be... it isn't much above the threshold for 3772/H. SQ is now comparable to what the other 10 footer gets.

The side-mounted 58W lnbf could be tweeked better, but it's already locking the few channels we watch there.

Now maybe momma will let me sleep indoors tonight. :rolleyes:

Well, my fight with 3772/H on 55W continues. :mad: (ATV and La Tele channels)

I suspect decreased transmitted signal. Can anyone else verify this?

I doubt the transmitters will increase signal level to make ME happy, so I have been chasing rabbits here looking for any increase in signal.

I have pretty well determined:
1) The 9000i is better receiving weak signals than the cheap chinese box.
2)The stationary dish is still not peaked as well as the motorized dish. Possibly got the lnb out of center when I replaced the scalar. Hard to measure with the dish mounted.
3) Side-mounted lnb most certainly reduced signal to some extent... but I don't want to remove it.
4) Additional db losses in motorized transmission line due to a combination of:
Extra 80ft of coax.
Extra 4ft jumper.
VBox .
4x1 switch (Not on stationary transmission line yet)

Still to be determined:
Check grounding block and various old cables.
Compare both receivers at both locations. Also compare both receivers at both dishes.
*Try to find some extra signal on both systems.

I have ordered an in-line sloped 20db amplifier. I'll be surprised if it helps. :biggrin

I would hate to have to mount the 12 footer in wintertime to receive one transponder... but domestic tranquility may require it.lol.

What are my options here?

The extra coax to re-route the cables and the 4x1 switch has dropped my signal below acceptable levels.

I removed the 4x1 switch and connections to the stationary dish. Better... but signal is still a bit lower than I need on the motorized dish.

I don't want to go with a larger dish now and I'd prefer not to change over to pricey RG11.

So far, the 20db in-line amp testing has not been a success. (As expected)

Reactions: hank123

The extra coax to re-route the cables and the 4x1 switch has dropped my signal below acceptable levels.

I removed the 4x1 switch and connections to the stationary dish. Better... but signal is still a bit lower than I need on the motorized dish.

I don't want to go with a larger dish now and I'd prefer not to change over to pricey RG11.

Zinwell 4x8 powered switch. Help push it down the line.
what 20 db amp did you use?

A little chemical magic might help. See if you can find some "Stabilant 22A" Required for electrical work on VWs so the dealers carry it. Stuff isn't cheap though.

Reactions: armadillo_115
Zinwell 4x8 powered switch. Help push it down the line.
what 20 db amp did you use?

Thanks Hank. It's an Aska 20db sloped in-line amp from fleabay.

I got everything working a bit better today by undoing/re-tightening coax connectors. One wasn't quite tight.
Also re-installed the amp on the receiver side of the 4x1 switch... rather than in the nosecone where I first had it. (So all 3 incoming cables get a boost going to the family room.

Still missing some weaker channels that worked before though. I have not noticed any dc switching problems yet...just RF loss.

I need to test the 80ft of RG6 that I added. Waiting now for nicer weather.

Still chasing wabbits...

A little chemical magic might help. See if you can find some "Stabilant 22A" Required for electrical work on VWs so the dealers carry it. Stuff isn't cheap though.

You ain't kidding. That stuff must be made out of pixie dust and rainbow concentrate. :eeek

Thanks Hank. It's an Aska 20db sloped in-line amp from fleabay.

I got everything working a bit better today by undoing/re-tightening coax connectors. One wasn't quite tight.
Also re-installed the amp on the receiver side of the 4x1 switch... rather than in the nosecone where I first had it. (So all 3 incoming cables get a boost going to the family room.

Still missing some weaker channels that worked before though. I have not noticed any dc switching problems yet...just RF loss.

I need to test the 80ft of RG6 that I added. Waiting now for nicer weather.

Still chasing wabbits...

I called Taiwan to see what the output gain is on a 4x8 switch. After a 10 min call they could not find anything, so they are going to talk with the engineers.
Ill let you know what they say.

If you have one give it a try. It fixes so many issues.

To use a multi-switch.... wouldn't I have to replace the C/Ku lnbf with a dual output lnbf?

Still do-able if necessary though. Thanks for the help. :hatsoff

Brian has kindly pointed out (In pm) several potential problems I may have with my set-ups. :hatsoff

It will take me some time to check everything out in this colder weather. I don't have meters and such, so it mostly involves trial and error. Changing around coax, switches, and such.

I have pretty well tested switches, coax, and connectors by swapping around components today... EXCEPT from receiver to grounding block. (I quit for the day!)

Brian (Titanium) was correct: Removing the 22khz switch at the CK1S yielded some improvement. :bow I'm now using the extra port on the 4x1 switch for BOTH bands on the CK1S.

It appears the new 80 ft of RG6 was defective as I feared. It is temporarily serving the Ku side of the CK1S... and being erratic there now. :facepalm

Fortunately, the new 135 ft piece seems ok.

While signal levels are improving, they are still not where they were before I started all this.

Attached are my testing results for today. Only using the STB meter...so this ain't rocket grade research :whistle

Attachments

• Satellite_Testing.pdf
    23.7 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: Titanium
Update:
Everything is working well now with the 9000i back in-line. Replacing the bad coax and replacing 2 or 3 connectors made improvements. Removing the 22khz switch and running coax directly to the 4x8 switch made an even bigger improvement. (as noted earlier)

There was a bad port on the grounding block that was causing a loss in signal. Also the ground wire was slightly loose.

A few transponders that I was not receiving turned out to have changed freqs or were no longer available. I didn't realize they were gone until I started scrutinizing everything. lol

The 20 db amp is now yielding good results. Picture quality looks crisper with it in-line. Not sure why.

The best improvement is coming from not having to motor the main dish around so much. We no longer need to drive it east of 87W. Previously, positioner counts were getting off due to the actuator slipping on the far east side. I haven't had to recalibrate sat position in a month. :) It used to be a couple or more times a week. I hope to keep this old actuator working as long as possible.

In conclusion: Both systems are now working to meet our needs. Any further improvement would require switching to solid copper core coax, possible even RG11. And buying a new actuator.

Thanks again folks for all the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)