Switching receivers from one room to another.

mborrero

Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
I recently joined Dish Network for my tv programming. They hooked up their receivers to my master bedroom and my daughters room. I just realized that my plasma tv in my living room does not have a input for TV tuner. Each receiver is able to transmit in two rooms. My problem is that Dish wants $100.00 to come out and change the receiver from my daughters room to the living room. Simple switch between rooms. Considering the fact that I was never ask in which rooms I wanted the receivers placed in they still want to charge me the 100.00. Does anyone know if this is simple to do or should I have them come out and do it?

Thanks,

I'm not sure of your setup. Hopefully you have 2 dual tuner satellite receivers, and each are hooked up to a home distribution system (maybe x-cable) so that anywhere in the home you can tune a TV to receive 4 different satellite programs.

If that's the case, I could see where you may have trouble watching the Plasma TV in the living room. But it's hard to image that you and the tech did not check the main TV to see if it worked.

It may be a simple move. Provided you can feed the satellite signal from the LNBF and/or Switch on a single or dual cable to the living room for the receivers 2 satellite inputs, and then feed the receivers output to the home distribution system. All of this depends on which receivers and switches are installed.

Maybe you can talk to the local installer.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

This was a newly constructed home and the whole house was pre wired with cable abilities. My problem is that the specific plasma tv that is in my living room is really not that expensive and it is meant to except s-video or componet cable it does not have an input for any type of RG6 cable or tuner input. I noticed that the receiver has the ability to be connected to the tv because it does have the s-video output to he tv and the RG6 input to the receiver. So the real question is can I just simply remove the receiver from my daughters room and place it in the living room. Yes the receivers are dual room receivers with TV1 & TV2 listed on them. The receiver in my daughters room is TV1 and the wall output next to the plasma is TV2. Do I need to switch anything where all the splitter are? I would assume so?

thanks,

I recently moved my 622 to a different room. All I had to do was go in the attic and switch two cables. On the diplexer one cable is the satellite feed going to the reciever and the other is the rf modulated TV2 output from the reciever going to the second room. I just switched these cables and moved the reciever.

As wal-dog2 said, that may be all you need to do. However, even though it's not rocket science (once the satellie is in the sky), your wiring may be slightly different.
Here's a link that has a few documents that will give you an idea as to how it's all connected. http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp

Here's some things to consider:

What type of LNBF and/or Switch are you using to feed the receivers?
a. Maybe a DishPro Plus Twin LNBF to feed 2 satellites to 2 dual receivers, each receiver has a DP Separator to feed the 2 sat inputs.
b. Maybe a DishPro Plus 44 (DPP44) switch to receive 1-4 satellites at upto 4 dual tuner receivers, each receiver has a DP Separator to feed the 2 sat inputs.

With a DPP44 switch, there is a Power Inserter (power supply) that needs to go in a certain place, Port 1 after any diplexers, etc.... Remember this if you change or move cables.

You may be using or not using Diplexers (in pairs) which allows you to send the satellite signal down to the receiver, while using that same cable to send an RF signal, either in the same direction or opposite direction. If multiple cables are available, then diplexers are not needed.

When you remove the sat receiver from the bedroom, the bedroom TV will need to be adjusted/tuned/new channel scan/etc... to pick up TV2 and/or TV1 Outputs, since you removed the S-Video connector.

There's plenty of people here with advice. If later you need some help, just post with what equipment you are using, receivers, switch, separators, etc...

NOTE: Diplexers and Separators are not splitters, but you may also have splitters to feed the RF outputs to multiple locations.

Last edited: