Switching/Splitting Question specific to my setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Achebee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Honduras
Howdy and Happy New Year to all of you at Satguys!
I'm digging around here in the switching simplified Threads by Anole and others and searching around looking for a solution to a specific switching setup I have..
I guess first of all I want to know if anyone has switched or split a signal from a Diseqc switch to several receivers?
Some of you have helped me here before, and my setup is:
A dual orthomode feed-4 lnbs into a modded 4x8 powered switch and one of the outputs I run to a 4x1 diseqc and out to a single receiver.
I have other receivers fed from the 4x8 powered switch in the setup. Only on the single receiver that is fed from the Diseqc am I able to receive certain KU feeds from 3 other fixed dishes..
I am trying to figure out a way to feed multiple receivers with the signal from the Diseqc... Has anyone done this?
Or could I switch this by running the 4 orthomode 4x8 switch as a single leg into another switch adding the fixed dishes to that..??. but then what about the Diseqc?? etc. etc.
Any input will be appreciated, I have been looking for threads on this but can't find any pros or cons concerning this...Thanks for your help, HB

If you want any receiver to access any of your four dishes, you should have dual output LNBs on the three Ku dishes. The two outputs from each dish should be run to two inputs (H & V) on additional 4x8 switches, none of which should be modded because you want the polarity selection voltages. You could use three 4x8s, one for each dish, or two 4x8s and stack two dishes on one switch. The latter approach would allow you to expand to 6 Ku dishes on top of your C/Ku dish, or some other combination of C & Ku dishes. Finally you will need a DiSEqC switch for each receiver. Run the inputs for each DiSEqC switch to every 4x8.

Thanks Pendragon, that is what I need... Darn, I was twisting around all sorts of ideas, but none can come close to just plain experience !! I appreciate it ! Going in to order some extra Diseqc switches now, I have LNB's laying around...
Would you recommend that I use another WNC powered switch? I am using a modded one, as per your mod instructions, I believe it was yours, and it is working fine, however I don't think I need that as I don't need the 18v on all...I have a a couple old Zinwell WB68 laying around...I modded both of them for powered all 18v, as per another one of your drawings, (I believe) and could use one of those unpowered???
and/or I have a couple old Holland HMS-54A switches here...
Which would you recommend I use? Thanks again for the quick response.. HB

This post in the Switch thread demonstrates what Pendragon was saying, above.
It shows 4x4 multiswitches, but you can use your 4x8's the same way.
Just do not modify them for all 18 volt on the LNB ports unless they are to hook to actual LNBs on an ortho feed.
For hooking to your Ku lnbF's, make sure the multiswitches are unmodified.
(I'd use all powered multiswitches, and not rely on any operating unpowered, as it will simplify troubleshooting later)

One last thought:
In the unlikely event you insist on having a Universal Ku LNBF on one of your dishes (as opposed to Standard), then you must have a 4-output LNBF to hook to the 4 inputs of the multiswitch.

The WB68 switches would work fine, but you can't use them modded for all 18V outputs because that will prevent selecting the vertical polarization on the dual LNBs on your Ku dishes. You could 'unmod' them or modify them to take in both 18 & 13V and supply to the proper LNB lines. In some ways I'd recommend unmodded WNC powered switches. That way your receiver(s) will not have to supply power to the multi-output switches and LNBs. That's less stress on the receivers, and virtually eliminates the chance you'll blow up a DiSEqC switch fiddling with coax lines at your dishes.

OK, Got it now...I was reading that post, Anole, at your Switching Thread, but it did not ring in at the time, thanks again for the link. The diagrams are great at that thread and make it a lot easier to get a handle on.. especially for me... I mean, I don't know nuthin much about switches or nuthin, but I sure can't figure this here out...... etc. etc.
And I think I will go with unmodded WNC's as opposed to the WB68's as per Pendragon's point on the power from the receivers issue, as I am famous for blowing up DiSEqC's.... So, I have it now. Understood and thanks to both of you...HB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)