Switching to D*-info?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cband

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Prescott,AZ
I am switching to D* because of a debacle with E*. Anything I need to know, ask for, etc?

Jeff

If you go their website you can review the current promotions that are going on (one year low price) Welcome to the other "side" There DVR's are not multiroom in comparison to Dish. Other then that welcome again and shoot aways at any specific question you may have and I am sure you will get some answers!!

satjay, I thought D* was coming out with a multiroom DVR this year

I am with E* right now, but if D* came out with a multiroom DVR, I would be on board in a minute

I am with E* right now, but if D* came out with a multiroom DVR, I would be on board in a minute

I could be wrong, but I have not heard that. The Big DVR news, for directv subscribers is that they are to be coming out with a TIVO based DVR again later this year I believe. Many miss there TIVO recvievers

What they're supposed to come out with is Multi Room Viewing, not a multiroom DVR. What MRV will allow is to view something recorded on a HD DVR via ethernet connection (wired/wireless/powerline) on another set top box. The advantage that this has, at this time, is that you can view recorded HD material in HD on the other STB in HD, not SD via coax like E*'s current solution.

For more information on what's happening in this area check out the Cutting Edge section of this web site.

Ask for SWM install, so you won't have to run another coax to your DVR. Without it, you'll need two per. I'm switching from E* to D*, primarily because I will not be able to get Locals because of LOS problems.

Last edited:
Appreciate the clarification

What they're supposed to come out with is Multi Room Viewing, not a multiroom DVR. What MRV will allow is to view something recorded on a HD DVR via ethernet connection (wired/wireless/powerline) on another set top box. The advantage that this has, at this time, is that you can view recorded HD material in HD on the other STB in HD, not SD via coax like E*'s current solution.

For more information on what's happening in this area check out the Cutting Edge section of this web site.

Being able to have Multi Room Viewing in HD is a good option. That is what UVERSE is advertising. A major problem with UVERSE is you can only have a maximum of 2 HD streams

A thought for you. In our case, we have TV2 on one of our 722s in the bedroom. It's just my wife and I and we NEVER watch TV1 and 2 at the same time. So instead of ordering a seperate SD receiver, I going to use an RF modulator. The HRXX remotes are RF capable, so when she is in the bedroom, she will have control. Plus, she'll be able to watch recordings. I'm getting two HRXXs. She'll be able to use one of the remotes in the bedroom since I use a Harmony in our main room. So for us, things will remain "normal". Your family's viewing habits may not work for such a set-up.

Ok, I'm tired and have a lot on my mind. What's SMV stand for again? And that will do what for me? Thanks again, a very long day for me.

Jeff

Being able to have Multi Room Viewing in HD is a good option. That is what UVERSE is advertising. A major problem with UVERSE is you can only have a maximum of 2 HD streams

This all depends on where you are located, there is talk that they will have 4 streams before the end of the year.

That said, 2 stream would be fine with me, I only have 2 HD sets....

Jimbo

Ok, I'm tired and have a lot on my mind. What's SMV stand for again? And that will do what for me? Thanks again, a very long day for me.

Jeff

SMV ???
You mean SWM ?

SWM is Single Wire Multiswitch, for DVR use when you only have one coax feed available.

Jimbo

A thought for you. In our case, we have TV2 on one of our 722s in the bedroom. It's just my wife and I and we NEVER watch TV1 and 2 at the same time. So instead of ordering a seperate SD receiver, I going to use an RF modulator. The HRXX remotes are RF capable, so when she is in the bedroom, she will have control. Plus, she'll be able to watch recordings. I'm getting two HRXXs. She'll be able to use one of the remotes in the bedroom since I use a Harmony in our main room. So for us, things will remain "normal". Your family's viewing habits may not work for such a set-up.

To control the DVR from another room it has to be in RF mode, but the Harmony will only do IR. Also, you will probably want to switch the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 when using a RF modulator to feed a SD set in another room.

IR is turned OFF when RF is on. In other words, no Harmony remote + a second RF remote. I ran into that when I set mine up.
Not a problem. Harmony with another receiver not being shared.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)