Switching to DirecTV installation questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stm144

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Allentown, PA
I am switching to directv and am getting the following boxes. 1 home media center and 2 hd boxes. I am getting whole home DVR and Directv cinema. I do not have a home phone line and i do not have ethernet in every room but i do have wireless internet in my house.

My questions are as follows:
1. How many cables can I expect to be run from the satellite into my house?
2. How many cables will be run to each box?
3. Will they set me up with Directv Cinema wirelessly?
4. I currently don't have a TV set up in my home theater in the basement but plan on getting a new TV soon. If they will have to run multiple cables to the media center, this would be the most convenient location for this box, however, like I said, there is no tv currently at this location. Any suggestions on this situation?
Thank you in advance for your support!

Shawn

You should have some kind of TV where each receiver is being installed. The tech may have a set in his truck but you cannot demand that he have one or provide it. + Probably one line from the sat dish antenna...........an OU or Outside Unit..........(the satellite is out in orbit 23000miles)........... and one line to each receiver. Don't know about the wireless deal.

Joe

So I'm assuming that was your attempt at satellite humor?

Anyways, I meant how many cables from the dish into the house. If anyone can provide me with some useful info I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

So I'm assuming that was your attempt at satellite humor?

Anyways, I meant how many cables from the dish into the house. If anyone can provide me with some useful info I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

You should have some kind of TV where each receiver is being installed. The tech may have a set in his truck but you cannot demand that he have one or provide it. + Probably one line from the sat dish antenna...........an OU or Outside Unit..........(the satellite is out in orbit 23000miles)........... and one line to each receiver. Don't know about the wireless deal.

Joe

STM,
Joe's info was 100% correct and very useful.

You asked how many cables from the dish to the inside, that would be 1 with the majority of the set ups now days being the SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) set ups.

Yes, you should have a TV at each location ... I don't know what policy is for that.

And Yes, the dish points at the Sat that is 23,000 miles in the sky.

Fwiw, you do have Line of Site to the Southwest, right ?

STM,
Joe's info was 100% correct and very useful.

You asked how many cables from the dish to the inside, that would be 1 with the majority of the set ups now days being the SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) set ups.

Yes, you should have a TV at each location ... I don't know what policy is for that.

And Yes, the dish points at the Sat that is 23,000 miles in the sky.

Fwiw, you do have Line of Site to the Southwest, right ?

I was fooling around a little there,

RE the TV thing............I have arrived at installation sites where there was no furniture. On a few occasions there was only a neighbor to unlock the door.....The installer will install a receiver, including verifying a signal level to a TV that is present. He is also supposed to program the remote for that TV and connect any other devices that are co-connected such as a stereo or VCR. Some installers carry a small portable set for this purpose. But it is a stretch to expect the installer to run around the building during the activation phase of the installation while moving a TV to verify the operation of the receivers.

While I have run cat5 cable for phone work I have never done any of this ethernet work for Directv, likewise, the slingbox wireless stuff is unknown to me........But there are many others on this site with that experience.

Best quote = "Searching for satellite signal....daddy, daddy, this man just nailed the satellite to the roof out back......come on, I'll show ya!" Sorry about the smart ass tease.

Joe

Rare SD only equipment would use two lines from an old round dish to a multiswitch.
More recent equipment for HD & SD use and many receivers would need four cables to an interior multiswitch.
Current practice is to use a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) which uses a....single wire from the OU...through the SWM LNB to an interior splitter. Somewhere in the system a PI (Power Inserter) needs to be connected and an AC source needs to be maintained.

While existing cable is often used the basic installation calls for running cable to existing TV locations. The installer will not leave unactivated receivers (IRDs) and may not offer to supply a temporary TV to activate and test a receiver where no TV is present.................if something goes wrong when the correct TV arrives the installer could be exposed to industry famous bull sh*t back charges so they don't take many chances.

Joe again

Last edited:
I must have missed part of this conversation somewhere.

We still need the wireless part...............never did a whole home installation from the internet router to TVs.................and I added some old info about the number of cables used.

Joe

So to recap?

1. There will be 1 cable from the dish into the house that connects to a powered SWM "splitter"?
2. One cable will be run to each box including the HR34 (with 5 tuners)?
3. ??? (can this be worked through the whole home DVR set up, does anyone have a diagram how the whole home DVR and directv cinema set ups are done)
4. I will have a tv set up at this location for the install. Will there only be one cable run to the home media center?

If my assumptions are correct in my rundown above, the biggest question outstanding is how they wire the WHDvr and the Directv Cinema

So to recap?

1. There will be 1 cable from the dish into the house that connects to a powered SWM "splitter"?
2. One cable will be run to each box including the HR34 (with 5 tuners)?
3. ??? (can this be worked through the whole home DVR set up, does anyone have a diagram how the whole home DVR and directv cinema set ups are done)
4. I will have a tv set up at this location for the install. Will there only be one cable run to the home media center?

If my assumptions are correct in my rundown above, the biggest question outstanding is how they wire the WHDvr and the Directv Cinema

1. Yes, there will be 1 cable into the house.

2. One cable to each box, including HR-34. I have the same setup with HR-34 and two H25s.

3. Technically, you'd have to way for the wireless cinema connection kit but if you deny installation unless you get it included you can probably get it for free. It'll be setup at any of your receivers: wire from wall to WCCK, wire from WCCK to receiver. You would then set up the wireless network settings on your receiver and that's it.

4. Only one cable to every receiver, including the HMC.

Do I need to have each of my receivers connected by ethernet if i have whole home dvr? or does just one of the receivers needs to be connected directly in this situation?

Do I need to have each of my receivers connected by ethernet if i have whole home dvr? or does just one of the receivers needs to be connected directly in this situation?

No, none of them. The only ethernet connection is at the internet connection kit. The network connection comes over the coax with the satellite signal.

Hey, Wild Bill.......
View attachment 73699

The wireless cinema connection kit manual is attached. The wired kit is connected with one line of RG6 from your splitter, one ethernet cable to your router, and a power supply.

Joe....installer..with a question.

From the router...if the customer does not have an ethernet cable run to the TV....is that cat5 run becoming part of the Free installation? How is the wireless router operating in the Directv system?
Al,ost the same question as stm144..Thanks,

joe

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)