Switching to DISH from DTV, Questions on ordering service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dvanburen

Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
United States
I've had DTV for a little over 10 years, and I think it's time for a change. I currently have an HR34 and 2 other HR series DVRs. While the Genie is OK, it has several issues:
  • DirecTV2PC has not been updated in ages, and does not work with Display Port monitors (it thinks there is an HDCP issue).
  • List of recordings is extremely cluttered with all our shows lumped together.
  • UI looks like it's from the 90's.
  • Very slow overall.
I've read through this forum extensively, and I think switching will address many of these shortfalls while saving some money in the short term. There is a plethora of information in these posts, and for that I must thank each and every one of you that has contributed.

Now, on to the actual point of this post :)

I currently have 9 tuners. This, combined with the desire to keep the wife's/kids/MIL recordings separate from my own, points in the direction of 2 HWS. I only have 3 TV's in the house, so the total order would be 2 HWS and 1 joey. From what I've read this isn't a setup typically allowed when ordering directly through DISH.

What is the best (read: least expensive, least hassle) method of ordering 2 HWS and 1 joey? Is the second HWS $199 regardless of where I order, or is a discount possible for new subscribers? I suppose I could order 1 HWS and one joey, then buy a second HWS and install it myself, but then I would probably need a duo node as the installer would probably use a solo node. Any thoughts or recommendations?

You should be able to order two HWS from Dish without a problem now but I'm not positive. I know it was an issue when they first came out. The only way to save money upfront on the second Hopper is if you get one without sling. This would mean you have a HWS and a regular Hopper, which is my setup.

I always recommend a local retailer if you have a good one around. Just make sure to avoid the third party crap you get in the mail, they are not directly from Dish.

Is there any sort of list or database of retailers? I'll ask around and see if anyone I know locally has had a recent DISH install. Thank you for your replies.

I'm in the Orlando area if anyone happens to know of a good retailer.

As Displayport can transparently support HDCP, it would appear your monitor(s) and/or display adapter(s) don't.

It is important to understand that the slung version of a program isn't 100% faithful to the original.

I've had DTV for a little over 10 years, and I think it's time for a change. I currently have an HR34 and 2 other HR series DVRs. While the Genie is OK, it has several issues:
  • DirecTV2PC has not been updated in ages, and does not work with Display Port monitors (it thinks there is an HDCP issue).
  • List of recordings is extremely cluttered with all our shows lumped together.
  • UI looks like it's from the 90's.
  • Very slow overall.
I've read through this forum extensively, and I think switching will address many of these shortfalls while saving some money in the short term. There is a plethora of information in these posts, and for that I must thank each and every one of you that has contributed.

Now, on to the actual point of this post :)

I currently have 9 tuners. This, combined with the desire to keep the wife's/kids/MIL recordings separate from my own, points in the direction of 2 HWS. I only have 3 TV's in the house, so the total order would be 2 HWS and 1 joey. From what I've read this isn't a setup typically allowed when ordering directly through DISH.

What is the best (read: least expensive, least hassle) method of ordering 2 HWS and 1 joey? Is the second HWS $199 regardless of where I order, or is a discount possible for new subscribers? I suppose I could order 1 HWS and one joey, then buy a second HWS and install it myself, but then I would probably need a duo node as the installer would probably use a solo node. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I just did my families order online via their website chat. Got a good deal on America's top 200, Showtime and Starz are free for 90 days. Protection plan was free for 6 months. I signed up for autopay and paperless billing as well. First HWS was free, second was like $109. I did not originally add the 2nd HWS, but DIRT changed it for me Saturday. Install is in about a week.

Reactions: dvanburen
I just did my families order online via their website chat. Got a good deal on America's top 200, Showtime and Starz are free for 90 days. Protection plan was free for 6 months. I signed up for autopay and paperless billing as well. First HWS was free, second was like $109. I did not originally add the 2nd HWS, but DIRT changed it for me Saturday. Install is in about a week.

Thanks, I may give this a try. I still need to call DTV and find out how far in advance, if at all, I need to cancel. I'm not sure if they will prorate my final bill.

My hardware supports it just fine. It's a well known issue with DirecTV2PC not always recognizing HDCP with DisplayPort interfaces.
Given the similarities, I'm surprised that they can reliably distinguish between DP and HDMI unless they are choking on not being able to deal with the audio.

It was a really boneheaded idea to leave audio out of DP because I'd certainly like to see something like it replace the mechanically fragile HDMI scheme.

Given the similarities, I'm surprised that they can reliably distinguish between DP and HDMI unless they are choking on not being able to deal with the audio.

It was a really boneheaded idea to leave audio out of DP because I'd certainly like to see something like it replace the mechanically fragile HDMI scheme.

DisplayPort does support audio, though I really don't know if it's implemented in today's GPUs.

You shouldn't have a problem getting 2 Hoppers 1 joey. That said, save yourself another $50 and use one of our referal codes in our signatures. The two I have posted are still good.

lol. I haven't gotten anything from dish in that regard so I'm pushing this time. I did have a friend use a very but she signed up 3 days early.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts