Switching to satellite. Still have some questions

transfan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Hi,

I currently have Comcast in the greater Pittsburgh area and am thinking about switching. I did some searching but a lot of the answers were old (and maybe outdated), so I figured I'd post my questions here. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm leaning towards Dish so I posted in this forum. Here are my questions.

Does anyone know if I will receive a drastic reduction in HD picture quality compared to Pittsburgh Comcast (HDLITE?) What about SD channels? Most of Comcast SD channels are terrible.

From my understanding with the HDDVR you can use the dish to watch and record your local HD OTA channels? Do you still need an antenna?

Does the picture go out during bad weather as much as before? 5 Years ago we had DirecTV and the picture would go out during most storms several days a year. Has it improved?

I'd like to see as many Yankee HD games as possible but I am out of market. Which service (if any) would allow me to see more HD games than what ESPN/FOX provide.

Finally, are there any offers available for DirecTV HdDvr other than the $199 standard?

Thank you all in advance for your answers. They will help me to make this decision!

Hi,

I currently have Comcast in the greater Pittsburgh area and am thinking about switching. I did some searching but a lot of the answers were old (and maybe outdated), so I figured I'd post my questions here. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm leaning towards Dish so I posted in this forum. Here are my questions.

Does anyone know if I will receive a drastic reduction in HD picture quality compared to Pittsburgh Comcast (HDLITE?) What about SD channels? Most of Comcast SD channels are terrible.

From my understanding with the HDDVR you can use the dish to watch and record your local HD OTA channels? Do you still need an antenna?

Does the picture go out during bad weather as much as before? 5 Years ago we had DirecTV and the picture would go out during most storms several days a year. Has it improved?

I'd like to see as many Yankee HD games as possible but I am out of market. Which service (if any) would allow me to see more HD games than what ESPN/FOX provide.

Finally, are there any offers available for DirecTV HdDvr other than the $199 standard?

Thank you all in advance for your answers. They will help me to make this decision!

As far as the Yankee question, you will not want to go with Dish, as they did not carry MLB Extra Innings last year and probably will not this year. Direct does have MLB Extra.

Rain: my experience is I only loose the video in extremely heavy thunder storms, when the storm passes the video comes back. This will happen with both Dish and Direct.

HD OTA channels you will need an antenna to the OTA input.

The sd is very compressed on Dish. If you have a hdtv it will not look that good. The bigger the hdtv you have the worse the sd looks. You will need a anntena for ota. If you are looking at Direct, be sure to get the hr20 and not the 21 if you have ota.

If you want Yankee games, forget about Dish. They won't even give NYC people the Yankee RSN. YES Network. CEO Uncle Charlie says they want too much money. You would be able to see a few besides what ESPN and Fox offers but only in SD if you get the superstations package add on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)