Switching to Satellite....

LivingItUp74

Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Hello!

I currently have Digital Cable with Adelphia, and I have had some very bad experiences with them and their service.

I have decided that it is time to make the switch to Satellite. But with that, I have several questions. I'm glad I found this forum. I hope that you can help answer some questions I have for everyone.

1. Direct TV or Dish Network? I am not concerned about sports programming or even HDTV programming, so both systems are on an equal playing field in my eyes. Looking at both systems online, I have found that each has some advantages, and some disadvantages.

2. Which system offers the best deal? Lowest price? (Both up front and ongoing?) I have heard from some people that you can pit the two companies againts each other and get a lower price. Is that true? Has anyone here done that? Someone I know went back and forth between Dish & Direct TV and wound up getting a lower monthly price with more services, etc.

3. I have 7 cable outlets in my home at this time. Of these, only 4 actually need full satellite cabability, but I would like the others to have some basic channels if possible. My homeowners association dues actually include free basic cable, so I do not know if it is possible (because I don't know how the satellite is hooked up), but I could keep the basic cable connected to the outside box and continue to get basic cable on the other home TV's. But, how would I get the satellite signal then? I don't know how it's set up.

4. Does one service generally get better reception than the other? I have spoken to several people who have Direct TV in my area, and several that have Dish. I've heard mostly positive about both systems. The people who have Direct TV have complained about losing the signal to the station when there is bad weather, but the people who have Dish told us that they don't seem to have that problem. Just curious!

5. Where is the best place to purchase your service? Should you go through the companies directly, or should you go to an outside installer? If so, which ones are the best?

6. Superstations / Other Station Questions - One thing that definitely attracts me to Dish Network is the Superstation package. I'd love to be able to see stations in Los Angeles, Denber, New York, etc. I checked online, and I am eligible for these services. I guess I had another question. If, for example, I wanted to receive the Boston independant (which is the only one that is not listed as "available" for a Superstation package in my area), would I be able to write to the station and ask for a waiver? (Or would I check with my own?) Also, how does this work? There are several stations I would love to get (i.e. - the NBC and CBS station in Philadelphia) - I am curious if I am able to request waivers from these stations in order to get these stations? (You should realize I have no idea how this stuff works). If I got a waiver, how do you get it set up on your TV and do they charge you extra for it? If I went with Direct TV - with no "Superstation" package - would I be able to request waivers to get these channels? If so, would they add them for me if they were permitted?

7. DVR - well, clearly Direct TV wins on this one. They have a far superior DVR product (using Tivo). But how bad is the Dish Network DVR? One thing I like is that Tivo has 2 tuners, meaning that you can record 2 shows at the same time while watching another. (This is something my current cable company has - but I saw that unless you get the an upgrade, they do not usually offer this with Dish Network).

If I went with Dish Network, I'd get either the America's Top 120 or 180 package. With Direct TV, I'd probably go with the Total Choice Plus package. I do not want any premium channels.

I'm sorry for so many questions. I keep going back and forth between Dish and Direct TV. Before I make such a big decision, I'd like to make sure I weigh my options.

Thank you for your time and effort helping me with this major decision!

Rob

I am going to take each question one by one. I will try to answer them as best as I can.

1. Both services have their own perks. I have personally had both services and I prefer Directv for several key reasons. (1). Directv's DVR with Tivo is an outstanding work of modern technology and I don't know why I waited so long before I made the switch. Boy, was I missing out. (2) If you ever "wanted" to go the HD route, Directv for sure has the best long term plan for adding more high def channels. Time will tell. As far as advantages/disadvantages, like I said before that is really depending upon your "cup of tea". My likes or demands of a company may be totally different than yours. Just sit down and do a pro and con list for each company on the features that you are wanting then finally make that decision.

2. As far as deals, I know that both companies have their "enticing" deals, but once again, it really depends on your budget and what you want out of your satellite system. If you want a system that has a DVR involved, without question go with Directv. I have had both services and Directv's Tivo with DVR is a much more superior product and works as advertised. One thing that drives people from Directv is that you actually purchase your equipment. Directv does not lease any of their products. You own it. Dish has lease offers which makes it more affordable for most people. I do know that Directv has 2-3-and even 4 room standard D10 receivers (basic models, not DVR) for free if you sign up for 1 year committment to programming. Now, if you want a DVR, you pay $100 for the DVR and the rest of your "standard" receivers are technically free when you sign the 1 year committment. Once again, it all depends on what you want out of your satellite system. Once you go DVR you never go back. It has truely changed the way I watch television. Dish has DVR's as well, but after using almost every DVR model they have ever offered, the functionality of their DVR's are lacking, especially in the software department. Just read the posts about people's experiences with Dish's DVR's and they can explain their findings. Personally, I will never go back to Dish Network. Their receivers are junk and I personally do not recommend them. Just do some research on both companies DVR's and make your decision on your findings. This is a great place to find that information and if you have questions about one in particular, there are over 16,000+ members willing to assist you.

3. If you have 4 outlets in your home that you wish to have satellite tv, it will really depend on what you want receiver wise. If you go the DVR route with Directv and some models on dish network, they have dual tuner DVR's that require (2) satellite lines to the receiver. Most of the time the installer will determine the best way of routing the signal based on your needs. However, sometimes if extra work that goes beyond their definition of a "standard" install, they may charge some kind of fee. Once again, additional homework for you to find out. I personally do not know a straight forward question to answer based on your post. Respond back on the type of receivers and how many you wish to get and that will narrow down a more accurate answer for you.

4. I have had both companies and I lost dish's signal about 3 times in a two year period. I have had Directv since late December and I have yet to loose any signal. We have had heavy snowful and drenching downpours and it didn't phase the signal at all. Just as long as you have a clear line of sight to a southern sky, you should receive high 90's on all satellites. (Directv numbers only go from 0 - 100. 0 - 125 on dish. The higher the signal strength you have the better on those nasty days.

I have to cut this short, but as to your question about dealers. I went through an outstanding company out of New York state named Value Electronics. This company is a class act that strives to ensure each and every customer is happy with their service. www.valueelectronics.com
Ask for Robert, Wendy, or Graham. They will do everything they can to accommidate your needs. Just let them know what kind of setup you wish to have and they can guide you from there. Outstanding company. I have recommended 5 people to this company and all (5) people say the service was outstanding and will continue their satellite shopping needs from Value Electronics.

Hope this information can help out. I remember when I was doing the same thing over 3 years ago. Good luck on your decision. Welcome to Satelliteguys!

Matt

LivingItUp74 said:
Hello!

I currently have Digital Cable with Adelphia, and I have had some very bad experiences with them and their service.

I have decided that it is time to make the switch to Satellite. But with that, I have several questions. I'm glad I found this forum. I hope that you can help answer some questions I have for everyone.

1. Direct TV or Dish Network? I am not concerned about sports programming or even HDTV programming, so both systems are on an equal playing field in my eyes. Looking at both systems online, I have found that each has some advantages, and some disadvantages.

2. Which system offers the best deal? Lowest price? (Both up front and ongoing?) I have heard from some people that you can pit the two companies againts each other and get a lower price. Is that true? Has anyone here done that? Someone I know went back and forth between Dish & Direct TV and wound up getting a lower monthly price with more services, etc.

3. I have 7 cable outlets in my home at this time. Of these, only 4 actually need full satellite cabability, but I would like the others to have some basic channels if possible. My homeowners association dues actually include free basic cable, so I do not know if it is possible (because I don't know how the satellite is hooked up), but I could keep the basic cable connected to the outside box and continue to get basic cable on the other home TV's. But, how would I get the satellite signal then? I don't know how it's set up.

4. Does one service generally get better reception than the other? I have spoken to several people who have Direct TV in my area, and several that have Dish. I've heard mostly positive about both systems. The people who have Direct TV have complained about losing the signal to the station when there is bad weather, but the people who have Dish told us that they don't seem to have that problem. Just curious!

5. Where is the best place to purchase your service? Should you go through the companies directly, or should you go to an outside installer? If so, which ones are the best?

6. Superstations / Other Station Questions - One thing that definitely attracts me to Dish Network is the Superstation package. I'd love to be able to see stations in Los Angeles, Denber, New York, etc. I checked online, and I am eligible for these services. I guess I had another question. If, for example, I wanted to receive the Boston independant (which is the only one that is not listed as "available" for a Superstation package in my area), would I be able to write to the station and ask for a waiver? (Or would I check with my own?) Also, how does this work? There are several stations I would love to get (i.e. - the NBC and CBS station in Philadelphia) - I am curious if I am able to request waivers from these stations in order to get these stations? (You should realize I have no idea how this stuff works). If I got a waiver, how do you get it set up on your TV and do they charge you extra for it? If I went with Direct TV - with no "Superstation" package - would I be able to request waivers to get these channels? If so, would they add them for me if they were permitted?

7. DVR - well, clearly Direct TV wins on this one. They have a far superior DVR product (using Tivo). But how bad is the Dish Network DVR? One thing I like is that Tivo has 2 tuners, meaning that you can record 2 shows at the same time while watching another. (This is something my current cable company has - but I saw that unless you get the an upgrade, they do not usually offer this with Dish Network).

If I went with Dish Network, I'd get either the America's Top 120 or 180 package. With Direct TV, I'd probably go with the Total Choice Plus package. I do not want any premium channels.

I'm sorry for so many questions. I keep going back and forth between Dish and Direct TV. Before I make such a big decision, I'd like to make sure I weigh my options.

Thank you for your time and effort helping me with this major decision!

Rob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)