SWM 771 & 775 errors

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

robershaw

Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hi all, I have read numerous threads about these errors but given that there are so many scenarios, I thought I'd start one more. In addition, it seems frustrating that so many people start threads but very few have the final resoultion of what actually solved the problem posted at the end of the thread. That's my plan.

I've had Direct TV for just under one year now. I have the Genie system hooked up in my living room where I have my only HD TV and a DVR. In the other 3 bedrooms I have SD TV's. All in all, 4 TV's hooked up in the house. In late October, during the World Series to be exact, I started getting error message 771 on multiple TV's. I'd be watching TV in the living room and get the error while at the same time my daughter would holler out that she had an error. The problem was intermittent in October but has progressively gotten worse. Eventually I started getting errors 771 and/or 775 on multiple TV's at the same time.

Odd scenari: Sometimes I go home for lunch and watch TV but I rarely get the error message during the day. However, at night the messages were far more frequent. In addition, the error messages seemed more frequent while watching the HD channels and movie channels too. Not sure if it is all a coincidence or not, but just thought I would share that information in case it leads somewhere.

About 10-days ago I made my first call to DTV and they had me search the house for my SWM box. It was not located in the living room next to Genie but rather it was hidden in the master bedroom. They asked if I had a solid green light and it did. They had me unplug both coax cables going into the SWM box (one at a time) and touch the tips to ground and remove static electricity. I did that. Then, they asked me to unplug the power from the surge protector for 1-minute until the green light was out and plug it back into a wall outlet rather than the power strip. I did all that and checked the system and the errors went away for about 24-hours. The following night the errors were back.

I decided to do some more troubleshooting and look at all the connections to each of the 4 receivers. Most were really tight but a couple needed 1/4 turn and after doing that the errors again seemed intermittent. However, a few days ago the problem started getting much worse and now one of the two errors are on almost constantly. I called DTV back and after a few more resets and discussions DTV told me I needed a technician to come out. I disagreed, I'm a doit yourself type guy who enjoys tinkering and fixing problems. If a tech comes out to my house, I'm going to follow him around like a puppy and ask him to walk me through ever single thing he is doing. He will hate me....so I don't really want to go there yet but I realize I'm just a few frustrating incidents away from that. I'm actually okay with that, as long as I have done my due diligence. My biggest let-down failure will be if the guy comes out and finds the problem in 30 seconds. So, what steps can I take to fix this myself? Also, what are some of the common fixes that worked?

One other thing, while I was talking to one of the technical support guys he eventually said that he believed my SWM power box has failed and needs to be replaced. I'm really tempted to go on eBay and buy a brand new one for $12. But, given that my green light is solid I'm wondering how often that is the actual problem. Any way to test these out? How often is the box the problem?

In some of the forums I read about the connections outside getting corroded. I live in Sacramento, CA, its almost always warm and sunny with just a number of winter rain storms. What are the odds that something corroded given that its only been 11-months since everything was installed.

My home is 15-years old, all the coax was installed 15-years ago but its up in the attic, no moisture, no people walking around up there, etc. If you look at the coax, it still looks brand new.

Lastly, I've read about using a multimeter to test. I have a multimeter, but that's one tool I never really learned how to use properly so any advice on what settings to place on the meter and what ends to touch where would be appreciated.

Help.......Rob

:welcome to Satelliteguys Rob!

You have two error messages, so at least two issues. The first one is the 771 error. That's an alignment issue, or possibly a bad lnb. What are your signal strength numbers on all of the satellites? Since it seems to be related to time of day, I'm thinking an lnb that's failing at night but okay in the warmer day temperatures. A 775 error is failing communication between the lnb and the Genie. That could be the power inserter. You can check it for voltage easily enough, but I am more suspicious of the lnb, since it's possibly causing both problems. Also, check all of the connections, especially outside. A slightly loose connection that changes with temperature changes could be the issue, too. Is the coax all RG6 instead of RG59? Your multimeter should be set to dc and the range above 30 at least, since that's the highest output voltage from the power inserter. Good luck!

Are you saying you have a Genie, a DVR and three receivers? If so that's ten tuners and your system will only support eight...

Hi guys,

I only have a Genie in the front room which I assume incorporates the DVR. I have 3 of the small receivers in the bedrooms. Altogether, 4 items. the coax throughout the house is all RG6.

Yesterday, after posting this forum thread I went home for lunch and turned on all 4 televisions in my house and I could not get any error codes. I went back to work, came home around 5:30 and turned on all the TV's and still did not get an error message. My wife and I went out to dinner, but the kids were home and told me that sometime around 8:00 PM (PST) they started getting the error messages. When my wife and I got home at 10:00 PM we couldn't watch any TV whatsoever and we had error 771. This morning I turned on all the TV's in the house around 7:00 AM and there were no error messages. It's now 9:15 AM and all of the TV's have been on and there still aren't any error messages. It seems like this is an evening problem.

I read some other threads that mentioned these 2 errors are not satelite configuration errors but I don't know if that is true.

I'm not sure how to check the signal strength but I'll figure it out shortly and post back. Thanks for your help.

Signal strength at 9:30 AM while not receiving any error messages.
Satelite 101*, tuner 1

1-8: 95,96,95,98,92,98,94,98
9-16: 95,95,95,98,95,98,94,98
17-24: 95,0,95,100,95,98,95,99
25-32: 95,0,95,0,95,99,95,99

Test reception:
Tuner 1: 95%
Tuner 2: 96%
Tuner 3: 95%
Tuner 4: 95%
Tuner 5: 96%

Satelite 99*(c)
1-8: 86,92,82,85,84,89,83,85
9-16: 82,88,83,83,85,90,n/a,n/a
17-24: All n/a
25-32: All n/a

Your 99c numbers are much too low for consistent reception. They should be in the high 80s at least. How about 103ca and 103cb?

103*(ca) at 2:30 PM, still no errors
1-8: All n/a
9-16: 86,88,88,86,83,84,86,88
17-24: 82,84,88,88,83,85,89,90

103*(cb)
1-8: 85,93,82,83,79,89,80,84
9-16: 78,88,80,85,79,88, n/a, n/a
17-24: All n/a

Yup, those are low as well as the 99c numbers. Your dish needs to be realigned. I'm not an installer, but I'm guessing that if the numbers drop low enough, that could trigger a 775 error as well. Any help here from the real installers?

Yup, those are low as well as the 99c numbers. Your dish needs to be realigned. I'm not an installer, but I'm guessing that if the numbers drop low enough, that could trigger a 775 error as well. Any help here from the real installers?

Nope. 775 is a power issue. I would agree on the lower number through. That dish is working itself out of alignment and needs repeaked. The 775 could be a possible bad LNB and the dish isn't out or alignment but giving weak numbers due to the LNB failing but strictly theory on that. I'd say you may have a loose connection between the power inserter or like mentioned earlier, corrosion is making its self seen. When dealing with copper, electricity, and moisture combined it can happen quickly if there is a weak point some where.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks for the clarification on the 775 error Hutch.

Well, it's 7:35 pm and I have had the TV on most of the day without a single error so far. The error seems to pop up consistently at 8:00 pm so we will see what happens. I had the TV on for 12-hours so far today without a single error and I haven't done a single thing since all the errors last night. I'm anticipating getting the errors within the next hour though. tomorrow I'll be outside checking the fittings at the dish and where the coax comes into the house (i'm assuming there is a splitter there).

Seems odd I know but do you have a police offer that lives close by or possible a FedEx truck? Or even a squad car that seemed to pop up recently that's sitting close clocking people? FedEx uses a GPS system that gives off a frequency that could cause issues, same as a police car. The police officer could be using a radar gun that could cause havoc on a a SWM system

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No police cars nearby or anything that I would think would interfere.

Last night we never got the errors. The weather was the same as previous nights so I have no idea. My daughter said she saw error 775 once this morning but now it seems like its working fine. I'm headed out to check the outside fittings in the next hour.

My 2 cents
I started out with sporadic 771 errors which graduated into 775 and then 776 errors. I thought it was just an alignment issue,or tree branch swaying in the breeze at first. It turned out to be a bad SWiM 16.Got a new SwiM a few months ago and have not had a problem since. I played the unplugging the power inserter for a few months before it got to the point of being ridiculous.

I don't doubt you, but I've never heard of a bad swm switch causing low signal strength numbers. Installers?

Maybe it wasn't providing a full 29 volts and that affected the signal strengths?

I checked all of the fittings and all of the coax and everything looks brand new. I swapped out a couple coax cables just to be safe and it still didn't resolve the problem. Last night it got so bad that the TV froze with code 771 for about 15-minutes, it came back on for 30 seconds and then went back to 771.

On a whim, I unplugged the 2 SWM coax cables and touched the tips of the box to reduce the static electricity (thats what the DTV phone person had me do before). I then uplugged the box until the green light disappeared and low and behold it resolved the problem for the rest of the night. I got home from work and we had the 771 error again so I repeated the unplugging and static electricity thing and it worked again. Per RLDreams above, the resolution was a new SWiM 16. Is that the same thing as the Power Inserter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts