SWM-8 Installation Nightmare

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stevesmith123

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Detroit
So, I recently upgraded to an HR-22 100, current software rev 0x4d1, I am located near Detroit. My old setup was a slimline 5 with a RG-6 cable run of about 85 feet, the cabling has not changed. I purchased a SWM-8 switch along with the PI-29. The system worked great for about a week. Although, during the initial setup with the SWM the receiver could not detect the SWM-8 switch. I then selected the "view signal strength" option and when the transponder numbers came up, I went back to the setup menu and the switch was detected by the receiver. After about a week or so I experienced all sorts of issues.

The first one is error 771A, and from researching other posts on that subject, I have checked the voltage to the switch (it's a solid 29Vs), loose cable ends (none found), and checked for corrosion (none present) at all the terminals. Everything looks solid. The PI-29 has the power outlet all to itself and it is plugged in directly into the wall. The switch is 25 feet from the LNB, the PI-29 is 12 feet from the switch and about 40 feet from the receiver.

I also get error 771 "searching for signal on sat 2 in" This seemed odd because the receiver is set to the SWM setting so why would it be looking for a signal from the second sat IN? B-Band converters are not used. I also get a strange situation occasionally where I will tune to a channel, let's say HBO and CNN will pop up choppy and then the system goes nuts. This has happened twice with different channels, it seemed completely random. I have done resets, in fact, that is the only way to get the receiver working again. When it does work again the next time to a failure is random, sometimes it goes for days other time for minutes.

When I have the receiver check the satellite settings I get a big fat red X on sat 103 18V even. The receiver says the error is on both tuners.

Here are my sat numbers, they are the same for both tuners.

Sat 101
All are in the mid 90's except for transponder 18, it reads 51 and transponder 28 which reads 0

Sat 110
All are N/A except fro transponders 10 and 12 which read 95 and 91 respectively

Sat 119
All are N/A except for transponders 22 to 32 which read in the high 80's to mid 90's, there is one transponder on this sat, 23, that reads 60

Sat 99c
All available transponders read in the mid 80's to high 90's

Sat 99s
transponders 1 to 6 read 0, transponders 7 and 8 are unavailable
transponders 9 to 14 are unavailable, transponder 15 reads 66 and transponder 16 reads 95
17 to 24 read: 0,0,95,96,91,90,74,64
25 to 32 are all N/A

Sat 103s
Trans 1 to 8 read: 0,82,81,0,0,0,N/A,N/A
Trans 9 to 14 are N/A , Trans 15 reads 95 and Trans 16 reads 0
Trans 17 to 24 read: 79,70,0,0,0,0,97,95
Trans 28 to 32 are all N/A

Sat 103ca
Trans 1 to 8, all are N/A
Trans 9 to 24 are all in the mid 80's to mid 90's
Trans 25 to 32 are all N/A

Sat 103cb
Trans 1 to 14, all are in the mid 80's to lower 90's
Trans 15 to 32 are all N/A

SWM Sat
Trans 1 to 9 are all in the upper 90's
Trans 10 to 32 are N/A

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do i just have a bad switch? A bad PI? Both were purchased from solid signal. Could the LNB be the issue? Is this a software issue?

Should I call a technician or an exorcist? Please help!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Just a guess here, are all four cables connected to the swm-8 switch?

Error 771A usually indicates that one receiver cannot communicate with another. Do you only have one HR22 receiver? When I get a 771A message (not often) I can remedy it with resetting the network. It would help to know your complete setup. (I only ask since adding SWM for a single receiver is a bit unusual.)

Also, you did go to your receiver system setup screen and reset the receiver to be in SWM mode, right?

Iceberg will have the definitive answer on this.

Thanks for the replies

Hello

and thanks for the replies and the welcome.

To answer Chip's question: Yes all four cables from the LNB are connected to the SWM and they are good and tight.

To BobStokesbary

Yes, the receiver says that it is in the SWM mode, in fact, the selection it is grayed out and cannot be changed. There is also only one HR-22 connected to the system. I opted for the SWM setup because running a second line for the second the tuner would have constituted disaster. My house is old and the walls are plaster and running the first cable was a huge job so when i heard about the SWM option i was relieved that it would save me a lot of work (that's kinda funny now).

Have you tried resetting power inserter by uplugging it till green light goes out then plugging it back in?

Also found this:
771 Searching for Satellite Main Check: 1) Peaking 2) Line of sight 3) Connections 4) Distribution system 5) Hardware
771A Problem Communicating w/ Dish SWiM power inserter may need to be plugged in. The network can't detect the SWiM due to power loss to the SWiM. No SWiM installation is present
771B Problem Communicating w/ Dish Too many receivers or tuners are connected to the SWiM. Test with SWiM meter and upgrade to SWiM 16 if necessary

Yes i have tried that twice. I have waited for at least ten minutes to make sure the light goes out. i have also watched the PI during a loss of signal and the power light remains a solid green, no flickering or dimming. I have never gotten error 771B.

as for error 771: I do not knowing what you mean by peaking, there are no trees in the way, all my connections are clean, not sure what you mean by the distribution system. the hardware option is interesting. i am fairly certain the PI is good. I am not sure however about the switch. is there a way to test it with simple equipment or i need specialized equipment?

Not sure on testing switch but you could bypass both it and the power inserter then rerun setup set for single tuner and multiswitch instead of swm. Is 771a constant or intermittant as I see this happening during heavy rain? I'm leaning toward bad switch since resetting pwr inserter doesn't resolve 771a temporarily.

the 771A error is intermittent and the time from one instance of the error to the next is variable. this happens rain or shine, clear or cloudy. I am starting to think that i am going to have to tear up some walls and run a second cable but i am clinging to some hope that i can figure out what is going on. i just do not understand why it would work then decide to stop.

Reread first post and am concerned about the 12 feet from switch to pwr inserter as it doesn't meet the minimum of 15 ft. you could try moving it to behind the receiver.

You have the power inserter connected to the swm 1/pwr input, yes?

I don't know if it makes much of a difference,but why did you go with a SWM-8 switch if you only have one receiver? Wouldn't a SWM-2 or SWM-4 splitter work just as well? Anyway,I think I remember having similar problems with my power adapter.My problem(so I thought at the time) was that in between my splitter & power adapter,I was using a flat cable to run my coaxial cable through the window into my living room instead of drilling a hole through the wall. Do you maybe have a flat cable or barrel adapter somewhere in your cable set up between your splitter & adapter? I remedied my situation by(because I had 3 receivers at the time) moving the power adapter to the room where my breaker switch box also is(master bedroom) & plugged it into the outlet closest to the breaker box. Of course having a second receiver in the master bedroom made the choice of moving the power adapter there much easier. End of story,I haven't had problems since.

What type of cable are you using? If it's RG59, that could well be the problem.

Perhaps there are splitters in the wall, or RG59 cable in the wall. Hey, I'm trying for anything here!

Another thing to check is the RG6. Is it all copper or copper clad? It should be copper only.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)