SWM-8 Installation Nightmare

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am going to go out on a limb. Did you happen to change the SL5 LNB for SWM lnb with the green label? It's never mentioned in your posts just that you got a splitter and a PI. I don't know how you could have 4 cables going to the LNB if you did in fact change the LNB. Having installed a couple SWM systems myself I don't think a splitter and a power interter make a SL5 into SWM but I could be wrong.

I just went back and reread your post, did directv change out your dish, did you do it yourself or what all was changed and and who did it? If directv had replaced your SL5 with a SWM you would have gotten a power inserter then and there would be no reason for you to have purchased one. Maybe i'm just confused, it is the day before a holiday.

He isn't using a swm lnb, he has a swm-8 multiswitch.

Hi everyone

First i would like to say thank you for all the suggestions. i think i will start from scratch one more time before i give up, call dtv and fork over some money.

i plan to do them this weekend when i get some free time. i will definitely try to move the switch closer to the receiver and give the connections another inspection. things have been nuts at my house, the wife is 37 weeks pregnant and i need to get my dissertation finished before she drops that bomb. this whole mess started because i wanted to watch Judge Judy yell at people without the freaking commercials!!!

i will let you guys know how it turns out.

Did you check the PI under load, or with nothing connected to it ? Something could have gotten shorted. Is the SWM warm, as it should be ? 59 is fine for SWM. If the PI is in SWM1/pwr. What's the receiver connected to?

Did you check the PI under load, or with nothing connected to it ?

I disconnected the coax wire from the SWM1/pwr input and put one lead on the inner copper wire and the other lead on ground, the result was 29V. i do not know if this is normal but when i moved the ground lead to the nut on the coax wire, keeping the other lead on the inner copper conductor, the result was 62V. The receiver was not on. i am not sure what you mean by under load

Something could have gotten shorted. Is the SWM warm, as it should be ?

Yes it is warm and the light is green

What's the receiver connected to?

Not sure what you mean but the receiver is connected to a coax wire that runs to the IRD terminal on the PI-29
The receiver is connected directly to the TV via HDMI 1.3a

The nutty thing is that i was going to move the PI today but the sat has been working perfectly for last 3 days now.

Does any of this sound like a bad LNB or Switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.