SWM HR23 Signal Loss

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NBCTVENGR

Original poster
May 22, 2006
Greensboro NC
I recently had Directv installed in my house and I have been having trouble with my HR23 DVR. Just wanted to get some opinions about whats going on.. Here is what I have and the issue that is going on.

Slimline-3S (SWM) Dish
1 HR23
1 SD IRD
20v Power Inserter
4 way splitter with power pass on 1 port

The power inserter is inline with the HR23 on the Tuner 1 connector(no cable on tuner 2). This feed is then hitting the 4 way splitter on the power pass port and then connected to the SWM Dish. The SD IRD is connected to a normal port on the Splitter. Sounds to me that its wired correctly.

For the first 3 or so days after the install everything was fine. Then we started getting a quick freeze and a popup saying "searching for signal 771". This has progressively gotten worse over time to now I'm sitting here watching a black picture. With that said the SD IRD works fine.

Of course I have called Directv customer service and they sent a tech out. When he arrived all was working fine so the only issue he found was that the splitter was not properly terminated. He said "that could be your problem" and left. Needless to say soon after he left it quit working again. Its been out ever since Nov 24th. Durring this time the SD IRD is working and has been working just fine.

I have looked at the sat signal meter and on all Sat/Transponders and Tuners I'm getting 0's Even on the SWM im getting all 0's on both tuners. I would say I have a bad cable but like I said the power inserter is plugged in the next to the HR23 using the same cable and I even replaced the short jumper going to the HR23. I have also reset and unplugged power to the HR23. My question is does it sound like the HR23 is bad or something with the SWM??

Thanks in advance for any help!

sounds like a bad receiver... it shouldnt be the cable, because the power inserter is on this line, if it was the cable then your sd box would be acting the same... if i rolled to the s/c i woulda replaced the box and checked terminators.

I was thinking that it is the DVR myself. A tech is coming out Sunday afternoon so hopefully he can get to the bottom of this. Is it possible to copy the recorded programs off the DVR??

My SWM install has 2 coax cables from the "splitter" to the H23 DVR. If you want to record one channel while watching another I think you'll need it. Might just solve the other problem too. Does the searching message indicate a tuner number that is looking for signal?

Regards, eric

If you have a SWMLNB or SWiM8 then all you need is one line to a DVR to allow for both tuners to record. If you don't have SWM then you do need two cable from the dish.

My SWM install has 2 coax cables from the "splitter" to the H23 DVR. If you want to record one channel while watching another I think you'll need it. Might just solve the other problem too. Does the searching message indicate a tuner number that is looking for signal?

Regards, eric

no that is incorrect, that is not swm, or it is installed wrong.

If you have a SWMLNB or SWiM8 then all you need is one line to a DVR to allow for both tuners to record. If you don't have SWM then you do need two cable from the dish.

I have the SWMLNB so I'm fine just the 1 cable then. Both tuners show 0 signal. I do have one question about how the SWM technology works. Is it a "RF" feed from the LNB or more like a data stream?

I guess i don't know what I've got then. One coax from the LNB to the splitter, then one to my single tuner box and 2 to the DVR. I thought it said SWM on the splitter.

Sorry for attempting to mislead you, E

Make sure you do not have a BBC connected (dongle between the receiver and sat cable going to the splitter).

In Satellite Setup, make sure you select the Slimline 3 SWM option, it will be close to the end, 18 or 19 or something like that. That could be part of the problem if set wrong.

Only one wire connected to receiver, leave input 2 empty.

Make sure you do not have a BBC connected (dongle between the receiver and sat cable going to the splitter).

In Satellite Setup, make sure you select the Slimline 3 SWM option, it will be close to the end, 18 or 19 or something like that. That could be part of the problem if set wrong.

Only one wire connected to receiver, leave input 2 empty.

I don't have a BBC at all - from what I read it is built into the tuner. I checked the menu option and Slimline 3 SWM is selected.. Still no dice on getting a signal. At this point I hope the Directv guy shows up and has a DVR in his truck..

Here is the latest. I decided to run a brand new cable from the splitter to the HR23. The power inserter is also on this feed. I hooked it all up and tried it but no dice. I checked the SD box and ofcourse as always it was working. I waited about an hour and tried it again and well it was working (notice no excitement). Its not the first time it has not worked for a day or 2 and then just start working.

Here is my question now. Could it be possible for the cable to have a weird problem like it would carry the voltage from the power inserter but not pass the sat signal to the HR23? I would say no its not possible. Just wanted someone to second that.

I also looked closer at my LNB and I have a Eagle Aspen SL3SPIG-P. Is this a alright LNB/Multi-switch?

Last edited:
Yes the LNBF you have is fine. Try switching the box locations to see if it is an issue in the line, splitter, etc. If it doesn't change on the HR23 then it sounds to me like your dish may just need to dithered a little bit. You could just be picking up signal on the 101 satellite and not the 99 or 103 which would explain why your standard is working. Just a thought, if that does not work then it very well could be something with your box

I ran into this at a customer's house.

Run the power supply on separate line. Don't let the same cable feed the power and the HR23. Every time the washer or something would kick on it would lower the power and kill the HR signal but not the SD box. I ran a new wire from the power supply to the splitter and all was fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)