SWM Multiswitch Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mangler88

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Nc
First off I just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Heres the situation: I am at my parents house in NC and I am helping them upgrade their system so that they can have DVRs where they want them etc.

I called Directv and got a SWM dish installed and everything works great but we cant get access to one of our TVs because we dont have a wire run to it.

We just rewired the kitchen and in the basement below there is a "satellite in" Cable running directly into the kitchen reciever and this is the only place where i have access to "split" the cables. What kind of multiswitch do i need to buy to "split" this line so i can run another reciever off of it?

Thanks,
Austin

Another consideration is not all boxes are swm compatible. What model are you trying to connect?

Yes a D10 and D11 plus a few more are not compatible. Make sure the splitter has a green label on it (1x2,1x4,1x8) Also make sure that the 21v inserter is hooked up to the power pass port on the splitter.

Yes a D10 and D11 plus a few more are not compatible. Make sure the splitter has a green label on it (1x2,1x4,1x8) Also make sure that the 21v inserter is hooked up to the power pass port on the splitter.

There are many receivers that are not SWM compatible. In fact it is easier to list the ones that are.

H20 and up (H20 not MRV compatible)
HR20 and up (all MRV compatible)
R16 (no MRV)
R22 (yes MRV)
D12 (no MRV)

Although a SWM split is best SWM will work off any cheap splitter.
However, for the few dollars extra, I would buy a swm split.
Green lable is only needed for MRV. (although I have seen it work with cheap splitters too as long as the main one is green labled)
Don't worry about the power passing port unless you are splitting the line with the power inserter. Then you must have it going through the power passing port.
If you are messing with the line that has the power inserter on it, then unplug the power inserter or risk frying the LNB (yes, I have seen it happen).

SWM is really simple for the most part to hook up, but it can be verry fickle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)