SWM Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I currently have an SL5 LNB attached to my dish. I was not getting signal to my 2nd tuner(again,this is the second time). I checked my cables all the way through my flat cables,with both flat cables working fine. I ended up on my roof & what I did was disconnect both cables from the two cables they were attached to on the LNB & attached them to the two cables that weren't being used. Now I have excellent reception,but I'm wondering if one of the four cables to my SL5 LNB is bad.
What I want to do is just go ahead & buy an SL5-SWM LNB & a SWS-2 splitter so I can run just one cable to my HD DVR. I have no problem buying the stuff,I just know the D* telephone number to call to get it installed. I don't know any "local installers." Will I be able to get D* to send someone out to install my SWM if I can convince them I'm paying for it? Having one cable instead of two would be a lot better for me & easier to figure out future potential problems with reception than what I have now.

Install it yourself. If your dish is already aligned well, it should be a direct swap. Just don't bump it while you are swapping out the LNB. After you are done, change the setup in your recievers, and you should be fine. Don't forget to remove the b-band converters, you won't need those with SWM.

Yea,

Do it yourself; plenty of literature on here on the proper way of installing it. I added the SWM-8 to my AU-9 & it works like a charm. You can even diplex the OTA feeds into the cable with the correct splitters.

If you are only connecting to one HD-DVR, you don't need the SWS-2. Only the cable from the dish straight in the back.

Only if you add another set top box (IRD) do you need the splitter.

EKG

there's a strong possibility you may have some problems in the future running flat cables on an HD, if I'm correct the cable inside is RG-59, you want to have it all RG-6. When you plan to do the switch, dont forget to get a SWM power inserter as well so it can power the LNB because the power from the reciever alone wont be sufficient

Yeah,I was planning on getting a second HD DVR along with the SWM LNB,power inserter,& initially I want to use the 2-way splitter. Later I want to increase to 4 DVRs(3 HD & 1 SD) & then i'll get the 4-way splitter.

Also,the flat cables I'm currently using are D* recommended 3GHz flat cables,& my indoor cables to my HD DVR are RG-6 3GHz. The installer who originally hooked up my HD DVR said that any cable other than 3GHz & my DVR would start saying error &/or searching for signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts