SWM splitter help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Itmup

Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Central illinois
Hi, New to this site so thanks in advance. Just got Direct TV, but had to keep the cable company for internet service. I want to split the DT signal to a near by TV that doesn't have a receiver. The DT comes in on 2 coax wires. One goes to the receiver directly and the other goes to a "power inserter" labled SWM DU only. It connects to "power to SWM" and comes out as "signal to IRD". From there to a "broadband adapter" with an ethernet output. The DT tech also ran another single coax from the internet cable direct to my modem. The receiver is just on the other side of a wall opposite the TV I want to split to. So it's a short 6 ft. run between them. Do they make a DT splitter I can hook to and come out of the splitter with a coax to both TV's? Would this degrade the signal? Also the receiver has a coax out port, but it is "optical". What's the best way to do this?

Thanks, John

You can't split the signal. You can add a splitter BEHIND the receiver from the out to the coax port. I'm assuming you have an HD receiver so you'll need to either use an RF modulator or some longer component cables

Knowing what type of receiver you have and type of tv you're wanting to "mirror" would help a lot

Hutch, It says Direct TV +HD DVR on the front. Looks to have a USB port on the front and back. If it had a normal coax out port it would appear to be easy, but it says optical and looks like it takes a different kind of connector. The TV I want to mirror is just an old one with a coax input, but I'm thinking of getting a replacement for it. Wasn't sure what you meant by behind the receiver and the RF modulator? John

Get an rf modulator, hook it up to the composite out (red white yellow) and then do a coax from the out to tv part on the RF mod.

If you want hd get an hdmi splitter, then you have to run an hdmi to the second tv.

The reason you can't just split the line coming in is the signal has not be decrypted. Once it hits the box it is decrypted making it possible to then mirror

I understand, thanks. Do either one or both of these mirroring options degrade the signal to the TV in use before the mirroring is set up?

Itmup said:
I understand, thanks. Do either one or both of these mirroring options degrade the signal to the TV in use before the mirroring is set up?

Nope, you'll be fine

he cant use an hdmi spitter with his current tv as posted. Must use and rf mod and coax..... ahhh remember the days of diplexing tv outs from d11s/12/16s etc back into the line with a 2way splitter then sending it to a 2nd tv just like a DISH TV2. Such an easy 45bucks for a mirroring fee.... stupid swm... yea it makes everything easier for running the lines to receivers, and lots of new technology out there. But I still diplex older systems and certain dish setups with comcast when i have to avoid drilling or running new lines ;D

Yeah, dish is easy to split because you can do it at the diplexer, not the back of the box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts