Status
Please reply by conversation.

skihoodoo

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 10, 2008
PERSHING COUNTY NV
i have a swm question
i am maybe disconnecting comcast after my triple play is over i already have directv i have a slimline 5lnb four wires coming down to a swm8 that i got from weaknees then to a swm splitter that has a hr 22-100, hr21-700, h21-100,d12-? i have 6 tuners and i need 9 tuners when i do this how could i accomplish this without getting a new swm if possible as none of the other tuners will be dvr's.

Put the D12 on the legacy port. I believe that the SWM port processes 8 ch. plus the three legacy ports.

yea don't try to split the splitter. The SWM module assigns each rec a frequency to get its data on in steps of 100mhtz. So your using 6 available channels with 2 left over for either 2 D12's or 1 DVR. If your going to get 3 more D12's hook 2 into the SWM splitter and the 3rd into a legacy port.

swm and service call ?

I had a directv tech out here yesterday 5/5/09 and i wanted to find out if this was true or not
i have a swm8 that i got from weaknees back in OCT-NOV 08 a few weeks ago i started having a few pixil. issues and it got worse untili decided to get someone out here to fix my service.

so the tech arrives and i take him to where the dish is and he see's the swm and calls his supervisor and asked about them after he gets off the phone he tells me the swm8 never passed directv's test and that they where never used in the field before the swm lnb became avail. true/false.
so the supervisor told the tech to take out my swm and put on one of there swm lnb so he did and it took him a bit to change the configuration of the wireing so after he did that we came inside and he did his thing to the first receiver and the thing would not work it had there signal on all the transponders on 99/103/110/119 that is was suppose to 101 every other one had a signal like 1 0% 2 95% and so on so he replaced it with a new one and now i will say i have not had any issues since then
he was here for over 2 hours.
Does this whole service call seem normal

I believe that DirecTV only installs SWM8 modules with commercial installations. Therefore, it must be okay to use. I hope the installer left your original equipment with you.

You pixelation was mosy likely caused by the dish getting out of alignment. The serviceman should have just checked the signal strengths first. Did he?

I have to say that you should have come here first to get info from those here more familiar than most DirecTV CSRs/Supervisors. :).

I believe that DirecTV only installs SWM8 modules with commercial installations. Therefore, it must be okay to use. I hope the installer left your original equipment with you.

You pixelation was mosy likely caused by the dish getting out of alignment. The serviceman should have just checked the signal strengths first. Did he?

I have to say that you should have come here first to get info from those here more familiar than most DirecTV CSRs/Supervisors. :).

yes he left me the swm8 and the swm splitter but he took the the original lnb

he did not even check the signal level he did no ajustments to the dish at all except replacing the lnb.

that was my mistake for not coming to the site

here is what my siganls look like right now (when these pic were taken it was cloudy)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I'd say you got had a bit. There's nothing wrong with the SWM-8 module technology and many of us use it quite successfully. However, because it's designed use is multiple dwelling unit installations like apartment buildings it is not installed in many single family homes. Locally the standard techs here have not worked with it and only now are really getting used to working with the SWM LNB. This is not the first time I've heard a tech or supervisor say that SWM-8 is not approved technology or they've never seen it before or some other excuse for not wanting to work with it. I'd agree your 99c and 103c aren't the highest but they're not bad.

i also now believe i have been had because i had the same issue that i called them in about and so i reformated my hr21-700 a few hours ago because i was finding a few recordings where so messed up get half way and they would just start again (most would complete) and i have not had one pixilation at all in at least 5 hours now all i am waiting for is on demand to come back already did connect thing in the network part of the menu

You should also check to make sure that the proper power inserter is installed. The SWM module (legacy 4 line unit) requires a 29vdc power inserter. The SWM lnb (1 line) requires 19vdc, although DirecTv issues 21vdc and that is what is usually installed. If your original 4 line module had a 21vdc power inserter, then that would have caused a lot of problems. If you curently have a 29vdc power inserter along with the SWM lnb, then you ned to have it changed to a 21vdc power inserter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)