System Improvment help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RidgeRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Raymond, Maine, United States
Well I've started using my KU system again, mostly for hobby purposes and to supplement my TV viewing. A while back I put up a nice OTA antenna got netflix and shut off our pay service TV.

So first thing is I have a single output pansat LNBF. I'd like to upgrade this to at least two output to be able to run a second receiver. I was thinking a 3x4 multi switch I want to feed my OTA antenna into this so I can take advantage of the cable lines run to the rooms that I'd like to have a FTA receiver. I would also have to run a diplexers at each TV so I can take advantage of the one cable line already running to each TV.

I figure I have four TVs in my house, by going the 3x4 route with a dual LNBF I could at any given time run two satellite receivers at once.

The only other thought I had was buying c/ku lnbf to put on my channel master 1.2m, I know its not ideal, but as long as running one of those isnt a compromise to KU reception I could dabble with C band until I get around to putting up one of my BUDs. The only downside to this that I can see is there does not appear to be a C/KU dual output LNB so if I did this I could only run one receiver at a time.

How does all of this sound?

c/ku lnbf
suck for ku on a big 10' dish. would not buy 1 again.
the rest sounds good. you will get some loss on the ota antenna that you will have to test.
good luck

If you had very strong OTA and sat signals, you might squeak by.
The loss of signal will compromise -some- of your reception, regardless.
You can try and see. If you're not happy, you know what to do.

From what I recall from the flurry of mini-bud threads a few years back, the dual band LNBFs didn't do very well.
The C-only LNBF should be at the focal point, and then offset the Ku to the side.
But of course feel free to read through the many pages and threads already posted.

You would be way better off motorizing your 1.2 on Ku only.
Then pick up a used 8' or 10' bud.

I think near the bottom of the Switches Simplifeid FAQ is a wiring diagram to hook it all together.

PS: if you are serious about FTA, look up a dual band ortho feed.
I'm not recommending, but you should know.

If you had very strong OTA and sat signals, you might squeak by.
The loss of signal will compromise -some- of your reception, regardless.
You can try and see. If you're not happy, you know what to do.

From what I recall from the flurry of mini-bud threads a few years back, the dual band LNBFs didn't do very well.
The C-only LNBF should be at the focal point, and then offset the Ku to the side.
But of course feel free to read through the many pages and threads already posted.

You would be way better off motorizing your 1.2 on Ku only.
Then pick up a used 8' or 10' bud.

I think near the bottom of the Switches Simplifeid FAQ is a wiring diagram to hook it all together.

PS: if you are serious about FTA, look up a dual band ortho feed.
I'm not recommending, but you should know.

My OTA signals vary some channels are strong some are weak.

My 1.2m channel master is already motorized for KU band, after reading the replies I would be better off setting up one of my 3 BUDs for C band only reception. Rather than using a one of those new C/KU LNBs

My OTA signals vary some channels are strong some are weak.

My 1.2m channel master is already motorized for KU band, after reading the replies I would be better off setting up one of my 3 BUDs for C band only reception. Rather than using a one of those new C/KU LNBs

FWIW, I've done A/B tests with a Corotor II and a DMX741 on my 10ft Winegard system and there's not a nickels worth of difference between the performance of the two. I've got two dishes setup with DMX LNBFs and love them both! The DMX ones are no longer available but were replaced with the NS741.

There was an A/B Cband test done recently between the NS and the DMX but the Ku test has yet to be done. I suspect that the NS Ku will perform as well as the older DMX Ku did with the only down side being that the NS LNBF doesn't have a built in switch so you have to run an add on 22Hz switch to enable both sides.

Cheap China LNBFs, some ppl love'em and some hate'em. Me, I really like mine!;) Don't think I'd try one on that 1.2m dish though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts