System Not Compliant

Status
Please reply by conversation.

egnlsn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Taylorsville, UT
A couple of days ago, I recorded the Indiana Jones movie off of PPV. Went to watch it yesterday, and I got the following message: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program." I saw the same thing several days ago on a regular channel, but didn't thing much of it as it was a channel we never watch (can't even tell you what it was).

Anyway, my DVR is connected via component cables to begin with, yet it tells me to switch from HDMI to component. To see what would happen (if anything), I switched from component to HDMI, and, voila, my program was there in all it's glory (I was, however, disappointed in the movie).

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the world of HDMI content protection. Hollywood is requireing that D* and E* do this. In order to watch the movie you need to hook up your reciver via HDMI from your sat reciver to your tv. The reason for this is because componate can not pass the content protection data assocated with the movies where HDMI can. Now as far as the message saying to hook up componante, its wrong, you need to hook up via hdmi. HDMI provides a better picture and sound anyhow, so its a bonus.

So my TV does not have HDMI plugs (Toshiba 61H70), I will not be able to watch these protected shows?? Are they in 1080p? And require HDMI for 1080p? Component only gets to 1080i. That is what My TV is...1080i. Do you think all shows will start to go this route needing HDMI for content protection data? Hasn't affected me yet, just curious.

So my TV does not have HDMI plugs (Toshiba 61H70), I will not be able to watch these protected shows?? Are they in 1080p? And require HDMI for 1080p? Component only gets to 1080i. That is what My TV is...1080i. Do you think all shows will start to go this route needing HDMI for content protection data? Hasn't affected me yet, just curious.
It has nothing to do with 1080p. My TV is 1080i. I understand the desire to protect content, but it screws those who don't have an HDMI connection on their TV set. Not to mention those who use a component matrix switch because they can use it to switch the input to their A/V receiver.

Welcome to the world of HDMI content protection. Hollywood is requireing that D* and E* do this. In order to watch the movie you need to hook up your reciver via HDMI from your sat reciver to your tv. The reason for this is because componate can not pass the content protection data assocated with the movies where HDMI can. Now as far as the message saying to hook up componante, its wrong, you need to hook up via hdmi. HDMI provides a better picture and sound anyhow, so its a bonus.
Thank you for the explanation. The error message would have made more sense if it was accurate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.