T Mobile CEO - Cryptic comments at CES

Charlie should just open up his bank account and take out T Mobile then fire Legere .

Nah Legere is the man he is going to take att out of #2 spot. Hell he may just start selling dish over his LTE network in 480p lol

Recently I upgraded to the Hopper 3 and noticed that the Dish Network van was advertising that Dish repairs cell phones. When I asked the tech about it, he said that they also repair appliances now too.

I still can not figure out what Dish is trying to accomplish with this new line of business, any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!
Supplement their bottom line most likely. They are trying to diversify any way they can to keep their profits coming in.

Nah Legere is the man he is going to take att out of #2 spot. Hell he may just start selling dish over his LTE network in 480p lol

He'd have to build out his tower infrastructure before he could ever knock ATT from second place. Reardless of Tmo's expanded LTE presence with Band 12, they still do not have near as many physical towers to cover the land area of Verizon or ATT.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

He'd have to build out his tower infrastructure before he could ever knock ATT from second place. Reardless of Tmo's expanded LTE presence with Band 12, they still do not have near as many physical towers to cover the land area of Verizon or ATT.

Tower? What's your Definition?

Big tall shiny metal thing?

Ok, easy enough. I'm not 100% on those exactly numbers of Big tall shiny metal things :)

One thing T-Mobile has that ATT does not is high density in big market's. Check out speedtest videos on YouTube thousands of mini sites with fiber provide a great mobile internet experience.

Reactions: TheKrell
Ok, easy enough. I'm not 100% on those exactly numbers of Big tall shiny metal things :)

One thing T-Mobile has that ATT does not is high density in big market's. Check out speedtest videos on YouTube thousands of mini sites with fiber provide a great mobile internet experience.

That's always been their strong point; big markets/big cities. Then what happens when you're a business person traveling down a country road in BFE Kansas and you receive a sales call? You're screwed. Those areas are where ATT and Verizon still reign surpreme

John is actually dead right on this one. Dish simply is not Dish anymore as they can't stand as a standalone provider without serious cutbacks. They missed the boat with merging with a telecom. They are going to get killed Three ways:

1. Internet video providers - They have skin in this game so we may see the satellite part eventually go away in favor of an OTT platform. ATT also has Full Screen on the internet side for content that dish doesn't have.
2. Bundling & Zero rated data - Kind of hard to compete if you can't bundle Telephone (landline and cell), Internet and TV into one price and have it zero rated on one network. You can't get this and that if you don't offer that.
3. No content. Dish has no content that they own to bring to the bargaining table. You can't ask for a discount on HBO the way ATT can with Comcast. ATT can approach Comcast and say we will give you HBO and CNN at a discounted rate if you offer Comcast's sports net's and NBCSN at a discounted rate. It's a win-win for our subs. Dish has zero skin in that game.

This also brings it to the point that dish has become a subpar provider over the past 10 years. When you half ass things like HD RSN's and you live under a rock like it's 1990's and operate like it, you will get left behind. The way media has been delivered has changed. You can't rely on a platform that isn't being utilized anymore by a younger generation. Eventually, that platform will fade away along with the spectrum that Charlie hasn't used.

The wild card is Trumps administration and the new FCC which is held by old telecom execs and analysts. They may just come out and take that spectrum back. Charlie will sue but will loose as it's the government. With trump in office, it would be up to Charlie to take advantage of the expansion opportunities businesses will have. Perhaps, this is what Charlie is waiting for before deploying his network. One thing is clear Dish needs to make a move, and the longer they wait the further left behind they will be.

Based on my experience in the on-site service industry, I'm guessing that Dish wants to fill the 'dead' time in their technicians schedule with other revenue bearing activities. Dish needs a minimum number of technicians in a given geographic area in order to meet resonable service levels for Dish. But there is time for other activies too.

The tech who installed my H3 was on his way after he left my house to do a recall on a Samsung washing machine. In my opinion, smart strategy on their part.
I am on prepaid dish flex tv. They never need to send a tech to my place. I buy my dish receivers and parts on flea bay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the SatelliteGuys app!

100% that DISH is lagging in doing what Directv did and some of the other Cable companies. I will point however that it isn't a stretch at all - since At&t is basically saying it - that Directv is going away or at the least is going to become a step child. I don't know if Charlie sees DISH going away. Sling to me is a nice but minor foray into online programming but internet service is where it's at and doing via cell is prime. I think saying it's too late for DISH is ... well... too early. Being with DISH nearly since their begining I have seen time and time again Charlie pull out unexpected things.

100% that DISH is lagging in doing what Directv did and some of the other Cable companies. I will point however that it isn't a stretch at all - since At&t is basically saying it - that Directv is going away or at the least is going to become a step child. I don't know if Charlie sees DISH going away. Sling to me is a nice but minor foray into online programming but internet service is where it's at and doing via cell is prime. I think saying it's too late for DISH is ... well... too early. Being with DISH nearly since their begining I have seen time and time again Charlie pull out unexpected things.
I am starting to think that Charlie is riding the train to retirement. He hasn't pulled any new surprises in a while. The Flex pack & the add on packs , is the only thing I can think of in the last few years that has actually been surprising. The hopper line of receivers is nice too ,but the whole thing with the cell phone companies and all that bandwith he has yet to use , has been really disappointing. I would of thought by now ,DISH and T mobile would of all ready been merged and both companies would of been benefiting from the partnership. Instead we are just going along ,waiting for the world to keep on changing, till DISH is no longer relevant to anyone, but rural areas without any other choices.

I am starting to think that Charlie is riding the train to retirement. He hasn't pulled any new surprises in a while. The Flex pack & the add on packs , is the only thing I can think of in the last few years that has actually been surprising. The hopper line of receivers is nice too ,but the whole thing with the cell phone companies and all that bandwith he has yet to use , has been really disappointing. I would of thought by now ,DISH and T mobile would of all ready been merged and both companies would of been benefiting from the partnership. Instead we are just going along ,waiting for the world to keep on changing, till DISH is no longer relevant to anyone, but rural areas without any other choices.
Don't downplay the impact of the Flex Pack. I'm sure it took some tough negotiations to get channel owners to agree to being placed in a pack that is essentially the first steps toward ala carte. If he continues down that path, I can see true ala carte being a viable option. Maybe get back to having choices like a Pick-Em pack again. Without the advantage of an oligopoly conglomerate that the other major providers now currently have, Dish will need to continue to innovate in programming and technology options, which they are currently doing.

Isn't much of OTT viewing done a la carte? As more consumers migrate toward the internet and this format, I think it is certainly within the realm of possibility for satellite and/or cable. It just hasn't fit the model for content providers to this point.

Isn't much of OTT viewing done a la carte? As more consumers migrate toward the internet and this format, I think it is certainly within the realm of possibility for satellite and/or cable. It just hasn't fit the model for content providers to this point.

Somewhat. Sling TV and DTVNOW are package-based. But you can do Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu etc as stand-alone's

If dish was to actually build out their own LTE network it would likely bankrupt the company.

There are not enough Dish subscribers in concentrated enough areas where offering LTE internet would be profitable.

As more and more people demand high speed internet, and require streaming video, the more the Telco and cable providers are going to win.

I do a lot of sales for Comcast and Charter. The bundle deals they are offering right now to new customers for Tv and Internet, why would anyone want to pay for Dish and buy a separate internet service from the cable company.

Directv, even though they have AT&T has a similar issue. Their internet speeds suck most of the time when they are available, and they do not cover an entire area

If dish was to actually build out their own LTE network it would likely bankrupt the company.

There are not enough Dish subscribers in concentrated enough areas where offering LTE internet would be profitable.

As more and more people demand high speed internet, and require streaming video, the more the Telco and cable providers are going to win.

I do a lot of sales for Comcast and Charter. The bundle deals they are offering right now to new customers for Tv and Internet, why would anyone want to pay for Dish and buy a separate internet service from the cable company.

Directv, even though they have AT&T has a similar issue. Their internet speeds suck most of the time when they are available, and they do not cover an entire area
I have DISH for TV & Charter Cable for Internet and I love it. I would not change for any reason unless something happens to the DISH Satellite Company..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)