T Mobile CEO - Cryptic comments at CES

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The bundle deals they are offering right now to new customers for Tv and Internet, why would anyone want to pay for Dish and buy a separate internet service from the cable company.

Maybe you only meant within your area, because not everyone has access to a "cable" company or service that's worth a damn. ;)

The local podunk cable company in my town does have decent, if mildly overpriced, internet service. Their TV offerings, channel packages, hardware, and prices are all pathetic. For the most part, Dish is Dish and Direct is Direct, no matter where you are. People seem to forget that "cable" is NOT that way and varies quite a bit from city to city.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSheridan
The local cable company around here makes Dish and DirecTV look like a fantastic deal and the sat offerings are much superior products. :biggrin

That is the way it is here. In this rural county of 30,000, three towns are served by a local mom and pop called West Alabama TV Cable and one town is (for some strange reason) served by Charter. WATVC makes Dish and DirecTV look like something out of "Star Trek" by comparison. I think that Charter around here in that one small area is "ok" they do have great internet from what I hear, but I hear that after the first year the price goes sky high on everything. CenturyLink is the CLEC for the whole county, and they offer 20-25 Mbps in a VERY small area right in the middle of each "town," but out away from there, the max is 10 Mbps. I live about 2 miles off a main thoroughfare on a county road, and 4 Mbps is the best I can get from them, the mom and pop cable outfit doesn't even serve here. I think that 10 Mbps is the fastest internet they offer, I think they are still on DOCSIS 1 or 2, definitely not 3.0.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

space x elon musk has plans for a high speed internet service from cheap low altitude sats.......

charlie could do a very disruptive thing...

using elons sats.

i wonder what chrlie would charge in fees? for internet plus a cell like service

I have DISH for TV & Charter Cable for Internet and I love it. I would not change for any reason unless something happens to the DISH Satellite Company..

I too have Charter for cable both in Ct and now in Fl since they took over Brighthouse. They have been steadily increasing the cost more than normally expected and this last year raised prices twice but it's more than that. They increased our speed (For "Free") but now are saying that was an introductory cost, and have in effect raised prices three times in the last year because of that. And you can't go back to the previous speed because it is no longer offered. I'm sure there was something in fine print but to me it was a way to get as many as possible off the lower less expensive speed so they would not be grandfathered.
Now all that said - I have to give credit when due. I called and with little fuss they gave me a very good deal in both my locations even though I obviously do not bundle. In addition I get at least the speed advertised if not more. And their automated system is very good - if you call about an outage the system tells you right away they are aware of it, some details and when it is expected to be back. Therefore they don't waste your time having you try things and then tell you there is an outage.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have DISH for TV & Charter Cable for Internet and I love it. I would not change for any reason unless something happens to the DISH Satellite Company..

Yea and for less money your paying for Dish with s DVR you could have the charter triple play for $89.99 plus $6.99 per Tv.

Granted Dish has a slightly better interface, charter beats dish on price

Yea and for less money your paying for Dish with s DVR you could have the charter triple play for $89.99 plus $6.99 per Tv.

Granted Dish has a slightly better interface, charter beats dish on price
You are correct, Charter beats DISH on price, but I want quality over better price. When I left Charter in 2007 I had 3 Motorola DVRs and they were constantly giving me troubles. Before the Motorolas I had two Moxi DVRs. They were awesome when they worked. DISH 722ks were superior to me compared to Charter's DVRs, and now the Hoppers are super awesome. I still have Charter's Internet service and it is superior here in the St Louis area. I have the 120 Mbps down & 5 up service but I get a constant over 160 down and sometimes up to 6 up when I do speed test. Charter's service is superior in my area too. Good technicians and they get here quick when I need them which is rare. The only thing I miss about Charter's TV service is Howard Stern TV.

ATT's solution to the DSL bandwidth issue is going to be G fast for DSL with a combination of 5G. With G Fast, ATT can do gigabit over current dsl bonding links. It's just a matter of getting it up and going and time.

John Legere has been certifiable for years. His own company's supposed "deals" and "carrier" is far from it. T-Mobile ads are disingenuous, and yes they "re-optimize" the streamed content without telling you, until the press points it out if anyone reads the super-sub scripts 2pt font/typeface on your agreement. I've always found him to be unctuous. And T-Mobile for all its crowing still can't even come close to some of the best MVNO's pricing and value, assuredly not even his own MVNO, if he owns one like all the other carriers do.

So, I take it Charlie refused John's offer for Dish's spectrum, and now dear John is PO'd. He is always looking so greasy and in need of a bath, and makes comments as if he had way too much coffee. Quite an offensive presence. And BTW, Dish has SlingTV, and AirTV to keep it around for a long time. However, it is clear that Charlie has been preparing Dish for a sale for years. The Echo split and even SlingTV seemed to be more about keeping Dish an attractive buy and less about survival. I think John may be suggesting that HE will take Dish's spectrum off of Charlie for a cheap price. That may be so, but I think T-mobile's future has others buying it as well, and fairly soon. Or Dish and T-Mobile are merging? It could be his nutty way of saying so, and it would make some sense, with Charlie retiring as part of the plan. We shall have to see how 2017 plays out. But let's remember Dish's profits have been positive for years, even in the wake of subscriber losses.

Last edited:
As far as CEO's go, I despise John. He has me blocked on Twitter because I would call him out on his BS when he posted about how many pops TMO covered...
One day I got tired of his BS popping up in my twitter feed, so I point blank asked him "why, in central Alabama, did Tmobile let roaming agreements expire while nearing the AT&T and Tmo merger in hopes it would pass the FCC..then when the merger was denied, Tmo never brought service back to this area?."

like, literally, one day Tmo worked, then the next day it didn't. They went from having great service here (because AT&T tower 1 mile away) to having NOTHING...absolutely no service.
So, as a CEO, Legere is a liar. His job is to make the share price of Tmo look attractive, which he's done. He's a smooth talker. Just youtube his video of him being interviewed when he was CEO of Global Crossing...
A smooth-dressed, business-like attitude and actually looked professional in his appearance. That was before crack rock, or cocaine...
And look at him now. He tried to play the part of "i'm a common man"...but you're not dude. You're a wildcard. And your behavior and quick trigger to shout expletives at your competition makes you a liability. Sure people eat up everything he has to say...because he knows what to say and how to say it. That's crack and coke at work..
I really think the guy is a coke-head..not being belittling, it's truly what I think of him. How else, other than drugs, would you explain his wild-eyed, sporadic outbursts unless he's had some sort of mental breakdown that left him in the current state he's in..

All it takes is asking him a few tech questions about Tmo and he will block you from his twitter. I knew I had hit a nerve when he did that to me...(and I didn't even get to the crack/coke part of my question to him)

As I've said before, in this thread even, Tmobile has made much headway in the wireless industry, but they still don't have anywhere near the physical tower infrastructure of ATT and VZW. Serious business people who depend on a wireless network that covers a land area that extends well beyond the urban areas and into the deep rural countryside will continue to use ATT and VZW. Enhanced LTE has improved Tmobile's footprint, but I consider it a gimmick because they haven't actually built out any more towers. My 13-year-old has Tmobile on her phone and she loses service in rural areas all the time, even with Enhanced LTE Band 12. I myself live in a small town where the only physical cell tower is owned by Verizon. Tmobile either needs to build out or merge with somebody who can.

Serious business people who depend on a wireless network that covers a land area that extends well beyond the urban areas and into the deep rural countryside will continue to use ATT and VZW.
Exactly. I've had that argument with two CFOs that wanted to switch to save. In both cases TMobile lost and was ousted after we did the test roll outs. Urban users were happy (until they went on vacation), but even moderately remote folks were out of luck.

And it's not just rural areas. Even in metro areas TMobile clearly had more dead spots in my experience. Admittedly it's been a couple of years since I went through the eval process.

Exactly. I've had that argument with two CFOs that wanted to switch to save. In both cases TMobile lost and was ousted after we did the test roll outs. Urban users were happy (until they went on vacation), but even moderately remote folks were out of luck.

And it's not just rural areas. Even in metro areas TMobile clearly had more dead spots in my experience. Admittedly it's been a couple of years since I went through the eval process.
Its still the same.
That coverage map is so over exaggerated I'm surprised they haven't been told to fix it.

People sit at my Bar and complain about T mobile poor service coverage.

Its still the same.
That coverage map is so over exaggerated I'm surprised they haven't been told to fix it.

People sit at my Bar and complain about T mobile poor service coverage.

It's not exactly "the same;" people whose phones have Band 12 capabilities do have greater coverage with Enhanced LTE. That coverage differs from their traditional GSM coverage they have. However, they have not, to the best of my knowledge, added any additional towers in a very long time.

It's not exactly "the same;" people whose phones have Band 12 capabilities do have greater coverage with Enhanced LTE. That coverage differs from their traditional GSM coverage they have. However, they have not, to the best of my knowledge, added any additional towers in a very long time.
While I see your point, But if you look at the list of phones that support the Enhanced LTE, You would see most phones made within the last 4 Years from Apple ,LG, Samsung are compatible.

You would be hard pressed to find someone whom actually uses their phone that still has an Iphone 3 and Galaxy S4s.
Just saying.

Especially when all 4 Companies will sell you a brand New I phone, or Galaxy S7 for zero interest and low monthly payments.

That Enhanced LTE, is still well below the coverage area of the competition by far.

Great service for the City folks, But they still find out real quick most of PA requires AT&T or Verizon for reliable service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)