Please reply by conversation.

drapati

Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
I have a Hotdish95 pointed at T12 from zipcode 10514
(elevation 14.5, azimuth 112).

I get very strong signal 98%, but minimal quality, and adjusting the dish
does not help. LNB tilt is at -44 degrees, it is DMS Intl model
ASC321-2 universal Ku. I think pointing is not the problem he.

What could possibly be the problem? Bad LNB, bad quality dish?

PS. receiver is a samsung 702Plus. I have used it before with a Triax 110 dish
and MTI LNB with very good results, but I dont have these where I am now.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Also, there are some scattered thin tree branches in the signal path, not much, but perhaps this could be the problem?

could be a tree problem

If you are getting a quality signal (10), the LNB is good. Have you tried to tweak the dish? Moving it 1/8" at a time might help

The signal will NOT pass through the tree branches, you may have to cut them or move the dish, the KU satellites are also MUCH weaker!

Thanks for the replies.

Cutting tree branches is not possible because they are far away and not in my property. I created a home-made inclinometer, and I have a good reason to believe
that the path is basically clear. Besides I am getting quite a strong signal. It is the
low quality that puzzles me.

Regarding adjustments, I have tried moving the dish in all directions during the pointing
process. At best I was able to get about 12% quality, but 8-10% most of the time.

Also, during dish movement, I have seen the quality indicator go to about 20%, only to
return to 10% immediately. This can be either a transient artifact of the receiver,
or perhaps a problem with the dish. My thinking is as follows: by applying pressure
on one side of the dish, this changes the dish geometry by a bit (particulalry since these
dishes are made of fairly thin steel). If that is the case, it is possible that the
dish I have has a manufacturing defect and does not focus properly as is. I have thought of that, but I wanted to hear people's opinion if this is a common problem, or I should be looking somewhere else.

Anyway, I was planning tonight to point it to an easier to acquire satelite with a higher
elevation and a clear visual path (like AMC 5 or AMC 3 in my location), to see if this is really a tree problem or not.

Maybe this will help......

http://www.bjup.com/services/bjhomesat/tech_support/obstacle.html

I have also noticed with some of the cheaper dish that they are indeed out of shape, sometimes some gentle persuasion is called for but the dish has to be pointed at something with quality first then try slightly flexing the dish to see if it will collect more signal quality, remember the signal strength means NOTHING forget about that it will just mix you up, you could have the dish in the house and still get signal strength!

drapati said:
Anyway, I was planning tonight to point it to an easier to acquire satelite with a higher
elevation and a clear visual path (like AMC 5 or AMC 3 in my location), to see if this is really a tree problem or not.
IMHO, that's your best bet. Start by receiving a relatively easy signal. That'll prove that your components work and may suggest relevant fudge factors for pointing at other birds. (Maybe 39 degrees on your inclinator points at a bird that's really 41 degrees up, or maybe your compass reading is off a point or two.)

If you know how tall the trees are and how far away they are, you can do the trigonometry to see whether your elevation angle will clear them.

thanks - it works now

Thanks everyone for replying. It ended up beeing a tree problem.
I moved the dish around to an opening between the trees. The signal now
comes over the treeline in the distance and under some tall trees in my
property (elevation is just 14.5 degrees).
I was walking around for more than 30 min with a clinometer
to find a good spot. But it works and I get 80% quality with a 95cm dish,
which is amazing given the "tiny hole in the sky" that I was able to find.

Of course we'll see what happens when the leaves grow back in the spring,
but so far I am very very happy.

To close this thread, I took a picture of the results of my targeting exercise. It took quite a while with a compass and clinometer to find a spot where an antenna can be mounted. The elevation is only 14.5 degrees, however, the fairly clean signal path gives over 80% quality.

Image is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1751a.JPG
    IMG_1751a.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 200
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)