T17?

CycloneSat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Loganville, GA
I heard there was a request from DeathStar for a T17 satellite to launch. I don’t see why they would though, they already have all the capacity they need. Has it been cancelled?

A few years ago when EADS Astrium had a note (not a formal announcement) about building what became T16, they said they were going to build two satellites for Directv. But nothing was ever heard about the second one. I don't see what satellite they could have replaced in their US fleet, so it may never have been there. Directv has a Latin American operation that maybe needs a new satellite, so who knows maybe it was cancelled or maybe it is coming but not yet.

There were more than a few skeptics here who were claiming Directv was never going to launch another satellite despite plenty of evidence T16 was being built, because they hadn't made a big deal announcement about it like past satellites. AT&T's CEO even claimed around this time last year that "Directv had launched its last satellite".

If they launch another one I'm 99% sure it would be for Latin America, not the US. They simply don't have any reason to launch another in the US for quite some time.

Reactions: navychop
Adding another satellite for DTVLA service beyond the Ku band payloads of intelsat 30 and 31 which are both essentially still new?

How likely is that? ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Adding another satellite for DTVLA service beyond the Ku band payloads of intelsat 30 and 31 which are both essentially still new?

How likely is that? ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Didn't they apply for Ka and RB licenses in the DTVLA market at one point?

Maybe at one point. But I think they wrote off 119 a few years ago with the HD migrations

I agree, but that's the only possibility in the US I could see where another satellite would be feasible, other than another T15/T16 like design that would be a true in-orbit spare that served no purpose unless they suffered a satellite failure (and would lose any spot beams regardless)

If this satellite ever actually ends up existing, it would either be a in-orbit spare or repurposed for something else, at least that’s what I think.

It’s a lot of money for 2 satellites to hold on to 14 transponders.

They should have done a transponder swap with Dish years ago when Dish needed the capacity at 119.

It doesn’t make a difference to Dish which satellite has the capacity as all Dish customers who see 119 also see 110.

On the other hand, Directv I don’t think Directv could easily move the transponders to 110, as they use a special LNB that combines the frequencies at 110.

It made sense 15 years ago to put any junk satellite up there and uplink programming yo deny Dish the transponders.

With all the disputes dish has of lately, even if Directv surrendered then, dish wouldn’t have enough programming to put up there

Reactions: CycloneSat
Dish leases transponders at 129. If they got control of Directv's transponders at 110/119, they'd probably use those to allow them to drop the lease at 129, so I wouldn't see it adding capacity just reducing cost.

I'm not sure how much thought AT&T gives to Dish as a competitor. When Directv was independent and cord cutting hadn't really begun it was obvious to view Dish as their major competition. AT&T is a lot bigger than just TV and satellite is losing subscribers so I doubt AT&T considers Dish worthy of concern. They probably devote more time thinking about the possibility Dish finally does something with their cellular licenses and targets fixed wireless in rural markets like AT&T plans to.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts