Tailgater and VIP211Z

WillS

Original poster
Aug 26, 2023
Seattle
I have a real strange one that has me stumped. I have a King Tailgater on my RV with a VIP211z receiver. In the past, everything has worked fine with this setup. When we were camping last week, I was woken up by the antenna continuously moving around like it was searching for the satellites, so I pulled the power to the receiver. This was the first time that we have used this setup since satellite 129 was dropped. When I had searched for the satellites when we arrived at the campground, everything worked fine. In the morning, I plugged the receiver back in and did the satellite search again. It went through the first two steps normally, but then stuck at step 3 and would not finish. After a half hour, I stopped it. I checked all connections and tried it again, with the same results. We are in Washington State, so I decided to search as if we were in Oregon. Amazingly, it did complete all three steps. I then tried to search for Washington State again and it still failed at step 3. So, it will complete setup if I tell it we are in Oregon, but not Washington. I have a feeling that this is related to the loss of satellite 129, but I am baffled.

Sounds a software issue. Many people don’t like 211z receivers for some reason. I do have a Wally receiver. I love my Wally receiver. 211k is a fine receiver, been a great receiver for years. I think you can still get 211k receivers from somewhere at least for right now.

We have to keep in mind we can’t mix any other receivers with Hopper/Joey except for 211s or Wallys. I think Dish will allow you to activate up to two either 211s or wallys on Hopper/Joey account if those receivers are purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
This is a problem with Wallys, 211Ks, 211Zs and probably the original 211 if there are any of those still out there. Dish NEEDS to get software fixes for all of them, they are having fits with tailgaters and the lack of 129.

A couple work arounds that sometimes work. Unplug your receiver, rotate your dish 10 or so degrees one way or the other, then plug back in and try again. If that doesn't work, when it is stuck on the 3rd sat, looking for 129, stand in front of the dish (or block it with something, cardboard is not thick enough). It will block the signal, and it will move on to the next step, which will be a message telling you you don't have all the satellites. Select "view TV" and you are good until you unplug or reset your receiver and have to go through it all again...

Our office has been inundated with calls about this. The staff is sick and tired of it.

The problem is, satellite 129 is still there, and the Wally sees it (on some level) but can't lock on. It doesn't give up like it normally does if there is a tree or something in the way.

This is a problem with Wallys, 211Ks, 211Zs and probably the original 211 if there are any of those still out there. Dish NEEDS to get software fixes for all of them, they are having fits with tailgaters and the lack of 129.

A couple work arounds that sometimes work. Unplug your receiver, rotate your dish 10 or so degrees one way or the other, then plug back in and try again. If that doesn't work, when it is stuck on the 3rd sat, looking for 129, stand in front of the dish (or block it with something, cardboard is not thick enough). It will block the signal, and it will move on to the next step, which will be a message telling you you don't have all the satellites. Select "view TV" and you are good until you unplug or reset your receiver and have to go through it all again...

Our office has been inundated with calls about this. The staff is sick and tired of it.

The problem is, satellite 129 is still there, and the Wally sees it (on some level) but can't lock on. It doesn't give up like it normally does if there is a tree or something in the way.
The simple temporary, but one time, trick I came up with is to wrap the 129 horn with aluminum foil. Therefore, as far as the receiver is concerned 129 is “gone”. Cheesy, but it works.

Thank you for this information. Now that I think about it, this may be why it will work when I choose that I am in Oregon, when I am actually in Washington. The Tailgater probably cannot find satellite 129 due to the difference in Latitude, so it moves on. Evidently, it still can see enough of 110 and 119 to allow me to watch programming from those satellites, though I suspect that the signal strength is not as good as it would be if I chose Washington. I will try your blocking technique next time so thanks for the tip. Hopefully, Dish will correct the software though. I don't want to climb up to the top of the RV just to block the antenna.

Also, the only difference between a 211z and a 211k is the z lacks component and channel 3 output and off air antenna in, just like the Wally. Functionally they are identical.

No it does not, only 211s and Wallys. Hopper Duo "might", it is just a Wally with a hard drive, but it would have more trouble running on 1 tuner than the Wally does.

I’m not sure if Dish would allow activation of Hopper DUO on an account with other hoppers. I think the only receivers are allowed to be added to account is 211 receiver and Wally if purchased. Two is maximum limit.

I’m not sure if Dish would allow activation of Hopper DUO on an account with other hoppers. I think the only receivers are allowed to be added to account is 211 receiver and Wally if purchased. Two is maximum limit.

No, you cannot have a Hopper duo on an acct with any other hoppers (we have tried). It is silly, but that is their rules...

Last edited: