Tailgater First Impression

We just used ours for the fifth time and it's worked great everytime. It's so easy to set up that my wife was able to get it going last week when I couldn't make it.

A friend has been trying to "trade up" his 211 for a 211k, so he can get a Tailgater, and Dish CSR's keep telling him he can't or they wont do a trade for his 211.

Finally had a chance to use the Tailgater while camping last weekend. My campsite had a clear view to the south, southeast from the front of the site across the road to a distant wood line. I set the Tailgater under the front bunk end of my pop up tent camper and secured the security cable around the camper front frame and the padlock to the Tailgater. Plugged everything in and within 10 minutes had a working satellite system.

The channel changes on the Tailgater from one satellite to the next only took a half second or so. Really not any more time than with the home system. Totally seamless and totally automatic. We stayed until Monday and Sunday night rain fell at a pretty good clip and we never lost the signal. The signal strengths were comparable to my home sytem. Overall I give the Tailgater a thumbs up and a 5 star rating.

Nice thing too about the Tailgater system for me is, I do not feel so awkward setting it up with an audience of neighbors watching me. I always here the snide remark just out of earshot of “look at this guy,… camping in a pop up and setting up a satellite dish!” No big ol dish on a tripod and the inevitable flurry of questions from fellow campers of what the heck are you doing.

Also, the tailgater is so small it will fit in a trash bag and still work. Do that and no one will ever know that you have a satellite dish at the campsite!

With out reading all 5 pages of this.. Does anybody know how close you can set up 2 of the tailgaters together.. With out causing any interference between each other?? I have a customer that had the vucube 200 and had some problems with it running two 211k's he has since got 2 tailgaters. He was going to mount them pretty close together on the back of his mobile home.. But not sure how close they can be.. Thanks

I can see where you have to have a certain amount of space between the VQ,s being they are controlled by a wireless remote. The tailgater is controlled by the cable and the 211K therefore there should not be problem in my opinion.

View attachment 71127

Tailgating is the practice of driving on a road too close to the vehicle in front, at a distance which does not guarantee that stopping to avoid collision is possible. Approximately one third of rear-end collisions involve tailgating.

In many jurisdictions this action is illegal and punishable by fine.

I try not to tailgate, but people keep jumping in front of me while driving ... thus making ME tailgating.

Too bad they don't have one of these doe D* that gets HD yet .... STILL Waiting.

I think it also means "partying out of the back of your pickup" often in the parking lot before a game.

With out reading all 5 pages of this.. Does anybody know how close you can set up 2 of the tailgaters together.. With out causing any interference between each other?? I have a customer that had the vucube 200 and had some problems with it running two 211k's he has since got 2 tailgaters. He was going to mount them pretty close together on the back of his mobile home.. But not sure how close they can be.. Thanks

Put 'em on the ground, hook 'em up, and test various distances. I can see no reason why they have to be apart any particular distance, but who knows.

I'm not sure if the pics are attached to this but my tailgater got zapped and I got permission to take the top off. Yee ha! When you power it on two little motors spin it around and locate the sats. My motors died so no go no more. But I did figure out how to make it more secure. Forget the plastic "lock" taps at the bottom of the handle. Remove the handle (3 screws) and once removed slip a flat thin piece of aluminum under the handle and then reattach it. Drill two holes (one at each end) and you have a more secure way to lock it.
As a sidepoint...if you are remotely close to a lightning storm unplug the "cube" and take it inside. It runs on very low voltage and can get "hurt" real easily.

Attachments

• _DSC0015.jpg
    _DSC0015.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 155
  • _DSC0018.jpg
    _DSC0018.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 167
  • _DSC0019.jpg
    _DSC0019.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 152
  • _DSC0021.jpg
    _DSC0021.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 152
  • _DSC0022.jpg
    _DSC0022.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 155
  • _DSC0012.jpg
    _DSC0012.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 157

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)