Tailgater

Blackhawks

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Chicago Norh Suburbs
Is the Tailgater available as of yet? What are it's specs, such as height, etc. There's no mention of this on the website.

Want this for upcoming B1G Football Season.

Dishstore got some in yesterday, and I opened one up just to peak inside the box, and it looks awesome.

They come with a 50 foot coax cable. Once cable from the Tailgater to the receiver and thats it.

Im tempted to take the unit out of the box and play with it, but decided to leave it in the box so I wouldn't have to sell it as an open box item.

Things looks really cool and is super light. We put one out for display (expensive display) since people always wants to see what they look like. Trying to talk the boss into letting me take the cover off to see what it looks like inside. If i do I will post pictures.

Think it will be easy to use. Sounds like the 211 need to have the 4.99 software for it to work. Have 2 customers that want me to install or show how to use on Friday so if anything is strange or not covered I will post it. From the info in the box it seems really simple and straight forward.

Shawn

Things looks really cool and is super light. We put one out for display (expensive display) since people always wants to see what they look like. Trying to talk the boss into letting me take the cover off to see what it looks like inside. If i do I will post pictures.

Think it will be easy to use. Sounds like the 211 need to have the 4.99 software for it to work. Have 2 customers that want me to install or show how to use on Friday so if anything is strange or not covered I will post it. From the info in the box it seems really simple and straight forward.

Shawn
Here is a video of what the inside of the Tailgater looks like. Tailgater

It is extremely easy. Have your TV and 211k plugged into a generator. HDMI cable from 211k to the TV. Set the Tailgater out in an open space up to 50' away that has a view of the SW. Connect one end of the supplied cable to the Tailgater and the other to the 211k. Turn on the TV and the 211k. Once the 211k fires up it should show the screen asking what state you're in. Select the state and then select scan. It starts searching and then does the program download on it's own. You just sit back and wait for your programming to show up. Maybe looking at about 10 minutes total setup time.

Why bother with a generator and all the noise and required maintenance? An inverter connected to your vehicle's electrical system is a much simpler solution. The 211K operates on about 65 watts and a my 32" LCD TV another 100 watts. A small inverter or even a large inverter costs a fraction of what a generator costs and unless you spend the big money for an inverter type generator the quality (voltage fluctuation and hertz stability) of the power from an inexpensive generator isn't as good as a sine wave inverter.

Living in the Caribbean I have both a Honda inverter type generator that puts out cleaner power than my local utility and as a backup to the generator a Tripp Lite 1800W (3600 watt surge ) inverter. The inverter is 13" x 6"x 4" and requires no maintenance, puts out sine wave type power, cost me less than $200 and is almost silent with the exception of a small cooling fan. My 2800 watt Honda generator needs regular maintenance, cost $1,700 and weighs over 100 lbs fueled and even though it is quiet for a generator the sound level is still 58 decibels at half load.

Yes it does but it just sees one at a time. It switches satellites when it needs too and does so very quickly so that there is no long delay when you switch to a channel on another sat.

Why bother with a generator and all the noise and required maintenance? An inverter connected to your vehicle's electrical system is a much simpler solution. The 211K operates on about 65 watts and a my 32" LCD TV another 100 watts. A small inverter or even a large inverter costs a fraction of what a generator costs and unless you spend the big money for an inverter type generator the quality (voltage fluctuation and hertz stability) of the power from an inexpensive generator isn't as good as a sine wave inverter.

Living in the Caribbean I have both a Honda inverter type generator that puts out cleaner power than my local utility and as a backup to the generator a Tripp Lite 1800W (3600 watt surge ) inverter. The inverter is 13" x 6"x 4" and requires no maintenance, puts out sine wave type power, cost me less than $200 and is almost silent with the exception of a small cooling fan. My 2800 watt Honda generator needs regular maintenance, cost $1,700 and weighs over 100 lbs fueled and even though it is quiet for a generator the sound level is still 58 decibels at half load.

How do you maintain power for hours or even days when tailgating using only an inverter without having to run the vehicle? I see many Honda EU1000 and EU2000 ultraquiets at most tailgaters and campgrounds.

If you have a good battery in your vehicle and are only pulling less than 200W of power you can probably run for 60 - 90 minutes. Add a second battery and double your run time. Even if you have to start your vehicle and recharge your batteries. Your vehicle running makes less noise than a generator. Cost wise it is also less expensive.

375W Inverter $66 (Can be plugged into cigarette lighter )

Extra 12V Battery $120

Wires and cables $50 if you want a permanent installation.

Even a small Honda EU1000 will cost you $400 - $500 used and around $790 new and you will need a heavy gauge extension cord so you can move the generator away from where you are trying to watch TV.

I will agree that if you are going on camping trips where you want or need AC power day and night then you are better off with a generator, but if you are going to tailgate 6-8 times a year and then only need power for 3 -5 hours to run a TV and a Dish tailgater you really should consider using an inverter. Reason most people don't is because they aren't familiar with the technology. Boaters use inverters all the time to prove 120 AC when they are cruising or anchored and shore power isn't available.

Spend the $66 for an inverter and see how it works for you before buying the generator. If you are satisfied with the results then you can purchase and additional battery to extend the time between engine starts to charge the battery.

I just bought the Honda EU1000 for $749. It's light and super quiet. I split the cost with my dad, he'll be using it around the house and I'll use it tailgating.

We use to use an inverter with 2 car batteries. It was a major pain in the butt. This generator is super easy to run and can last all day on a gallon of gas. I'm pretty happy with the set up I have now.

couple of tailgater questions: Is there any difference between the the tailgater an Vucube 1000 besides the DISH only requirements? and can you use a longer cable run than the 50ft included? where can I find the Western Arc sats location, I am in SE Michigan and DISH at my house is pointed South East

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)