Tailgating/Camping

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chifan

Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Arkansas
I am not very knowledgeable about tech stuff, but I have a question that is probably an easy one for most of you. I just upgraded my DTV system at the house to HD with the genie and three client boxes. Do I have the ability to take one of those client boxes and hook up to a portable dish at a remote location? This is what I did with the old system, which had basic receiver boxes on all of the TVs in the house. I wanted to ask before spending the money to replace/upgrade my portable dish equipment. Thank you in advance for your responses, and for your patience with an uber novice....

Chifan,

You CAN do this IF you take the Genie itself and you need to make sure you have a SWM dish set up with the Power inserter as well.

:welcome to Satelliteguys chifan!

The clients don't have tuners in them, so like Jimbo and HIFI noted, you need the Genie to use a client.

Given that you describe yourself as an "uber novice" I would strongly recommend that you hang on to your SD equipment for your camping. While many of us have learned how to do our setups on the road, the HD setup does require more effort, and an initial cost for additional/more expensive equipment than the 18" round dish. I like the option of having a DVR on the road to time-shift programming to when I am in the RV so I was willing to learn what it takes to do HD SWM setup to keep my HR24 in a "like" environment while I am on the road. But, that does not sound like a priority to you. I think it would be easier to just hang on to one of your SD receivers for your tailgating/camping needs and let it go at that. You can always upgrade to a more elaborate setup if you feel you want to at a later date.

And as others have said, the clients are just bricks without the "server" receiver. So, that is definitely not an option.

Keep or get a traditional-type receiver. Setting up a slimline with SWM on the go is not ideal. Can it be done? Very yes. Is it easy? Not really. Pay $6/mo for regular receiver or have it "seasonally deactivated" when you don't need it, and save yourself some time and stress.

Keep or get a traditional-type receiver. Setting up a slimline with SWM on the go is not ideal. Can it be done? Very yes. Is it easy? Not really. Pay $6/mo for regular receiver or have it "seasonally deactivated" when you don't need it, and save yourself some time and stress.

That only works easily with owned equipment. If it's a lease and you suspend it, Directv will want the box back.

That's one of the advantages to having owned equipment.

That only works easily with owned equipment. If it's a lease and you suspend it, Directv will want the box back.

Not for a seasonal suspension. There's no recovery for that one.

When you add it back its a new contract as well which is complete BS.

Also not true. Reactivating old hardware on an account does not put you in any kind of agreement.

Not for a seasonal suspension. There's no recovery for that one.

Seasonal suspensions have time limits. It sounds to me like chifan wants to be able to remove and add a box at will. That would require an owned box to avoid sending it back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts