Tailgating Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Piratelooksat40

Original poster
Jul 5, 2011
North Carolina
I have a couple of questions, that I am hoping someone can help me out with. or the past year, I have set up an HD Direct TV dish and had it connected to a 40 inch flatscreen and a honda generator for our football tailgates. Everything worked fine, I would take one of my recieivers with me to the game and I have a seperate dish on a tripod. it would take me about 20 minutes to get everything lined up and working. The first time I did it, it took a while but then once I did it the first time I had no problems.

I have two questions:
During the last game of the season last year, I knocked the head of one of the bolts that allows me to make the fine tune adjustments to the signal. The bracket is attached to a Slimline HD dish and it sits on top of a pole that goes into my tripod. I need to replace the bracket, but I can't seem to find the bracket. Am I going to need to get another dish? BTW, I don't remember where I bought the set up originally.

The second question is that before the last game of the season, I hade my home dish upgraded so that I could have the whole home DVR and that I could record a show and watch another show with only having 1 coax cable in the back of the DVR. WHen I went to set it up I brought my Direct TV box and it did not work, so I called direct TV and a technician walked me through the settings that I needed to change to get it to work with my "Tailgating Dish". I did not write them down, and wondered if anyone knew what I would need to change.

So here is a summary of my questions:

I need to get a new adjusting bracked for my "Tailgating Dish" anyone know where I can get one.

Should I just buy a new dish so that it is the same that I have at my house? If so, how do I find out what kind of dish I need to buy( My dish is on my roof and it is 3 stories up)

If I use my old dish, what settings do I need to change to make my recieiver work with it.

I think the mounting brackets are different for different manufacturers. If so, you will need to match it up. For the settings, go into the setup menu and change from the SWM setting to multiswitch, then the 3 or 5 lnb setting depending on which one you have.

eBay for a replacement mast assembly.

I imagine your old setup was Multi-switch and your new setup is SWM. You switch it in Sat Setup as Raoul said.

Better yet go ALL SWM and it will be plug n play. Doing so will require the introduction a Power Inserter and you will no longer need the BBC's. You should be able to get a SWM LNB, a PI, plus a Splitter (not needed for one receiver) as a kit on eBay. $40 to $50. As Raoul said you need to determine if you use an SL3 (receives 99, 101, & 103) or SL5 (which adds the 110 & 119)

Downside is that if you are using a cheap meter it will not work with SWM unless you spend $20-$30 for a gizmo called an ASL-1.

Use the Repeat Sat Set Up (what Chip was talking about).

I would NOT go with a SWM for the tailgate set up, just adds more stuff into the system that you need to remember to have and remember.

As long as you can remember to run the Repeat Sat Set Up, you'll be fine.

Use the Repeat Sat Set Up (what Chip was talking about).

I would NOT go with a SWM for the tailgate set up, just adds more stuff into the system that you need to remember to have and remember.

As long as you can remember to run the Repeat Sat Set Up, you'll be fine.

I actually disagree with this....having done both, the minor inconvenience of an extra plug (PI) trumps the nightmare of repeating the setup and mixing and matching non-SWM and SWM.

I actually disagree with this....having done both, the minor inconvenience of an extra plug (PI) trumps the nightmare of repeating the setup and mixing and matching non-SWM and SWM.

OK.

So it takes :30 sec to get into the Repeat Sat Set Up.
When your dealing with SWM, isn't it doing that same thing already ?

I used to agree with Jimbo until I did it. SWM is plug n play. You don't need to go into Setup and I am switching from an SL5s to an SL3s. I guess the receivers can see the SWM LNB's and set themselves up automatically. Now when I have signal at the meter I have picture at the box. REPEAT - you do not need to run Sat Setup with SWM. SWM is hands down faster, easier, and the signal is stronger. No BBC's needed either.

what meter did you use on the swm?

I bough a cheap in line meter on ebay to look for the sat, will it work with swm on a slimline dish?

thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts