Take this for what its worth...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
SAEMike said:
I'm glad I'm with Dish. I'm with Charlie on this one. I'd much rather get more SD channels that I'd watch than get a bunch of HD stations that have duplicate programming from what's already on the SD channels or something completely worthless in HD.

You know, a lot of the SD channels that Dish subs are clamoring for are already on DirecTV's $40 TC/locals package, such as NFL Network, Trio, Oxygen, Newsworld, YES, Fine Living, FitTV, Fuel, and Outdoor Life. (That doesn't include the channels that Dish subs need the more expensive AT180 for, such as Nat'l Geo, Hallmark, Fox Movies, and Bloomberg.)

I'm just sayin'.

rkr0923:
Since you are obviously (and loudly!) so miserably unhappy with EVERYTHING DirecTV does, I hope you have VOOM or Dish or Comcast (or someone) who makes you happy.
And why do you feel the apparently manic and incessant need to make snarky comments about anything DirecTV does - or any of us who enjoy their service?
Why can't you just enjoy whatever it is you DO enjoy?
While we enjoy what WE enjoy.
This IS a DirecTV Forum, after all.
Perhaps Scott could arrange to have a DirecTV Haters forum constructed for you.

If they would get off their behinds and do something I might have a differnet opinion.
Until then............................
But, admit it or not, D*tv is lacking in the HD department. Even Charter has them beat!

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am positive the 6 NFL channels he refrences are the FOX HD games ... so I doubt we will see RSN's or other. I had read this I think at AVS back in April, as far as the others ... they NEED the premium HD's like Starz & the others. Once they do this, I will be locked in with D*. If you add in the 7 OTA's I get for free, I am sitting pretty good!

Realistically they need to can 509 & 542 (or 88 & 91) so they can reuse that bandwidth for other channels ... unless this is just a duplicate channel map not a duplicate broadcast. I really don't know.

I can say I want to see Starz & Encore added more than any. I find they have better movies and premires than anyone else including HBO. I am all about the movies!

GaryPen said:
You know, a lot of the SD channels that Dish subs are clamoring for are already on DirecTV's $40 TC/locals package, such as NFL Network, Trio, Oxygen, Newsworld, YES, Fine Living, FitTV, Fuel, and Outdoor Life. (That doesn't include the channels that Dish subs need the more expensive AT180 for, such as Nat'l Geo, Hallmark, Fox Movies, and Bloomberg.) I'm just sayin'.

Those extra channels you mention are on the $43/mo DTV Plus Locals package not the $40 package. Of all of those Trio, Oxygen & YES are the only compelling ones. According to DTV website as of 6/22/04, YES actually requires the $91/mo package and Dish does include the Outdoor Life. Now I am not saying that all the channels are compelling, but let's compare apples to apples on that $43 DTV package to the $50 Amer Top180 w/locals package, we also get the the following that you do not:

Considerably larger local into local coverage
1 additional Univision
Many more additional digital music offerings
Sirius music service
7 additional shopping networks
Auction TV
Bingo TV
Interactive TV with interactive weather (DTV cancelled all these services)
Style TV
SiTV
Great American Country
Nickelodeon GAS
Reality TV
Discovery Science (aka The Science Chnl)
Healthly Living
WGN (home of the Cubs & Bulls)
Wisdom TV
Angel One
EWTN - Global Catholic
The Movie Chnl Xtra
The Movie Chnl West
Encore Westerns
Encore Action
Encore Mysteries
Encore True Stories
Encore Love Stories
Encore WAM!
Golf Chnl
Madison Square Garden
Sunshine SportsNet
Comcast SportsNet
Empire SportsNet
New England SportsNet
Fox Sports World
18 Chnls of the Fox Sports Net
Research Chnl
Hispanic Info & Telecom TV
BYU-TV
University of Washington-TV
AARTS - classic Arts
Colours TV
Universityhouse
University of California-TV
EE Tv - Educating Everyone
Free Speech TV
Good Samaritan TV
PAEC - Florida Edu

It is quite a compelling additional list wouldn't you say? If I missed any I am sorry, but to me just having the Golf Chnl, Madison Square Garden, Sunshine SportsNet, Comcast SportsNet, Empire SportsNet, New England SportsNet, 19 channels in the Fox Sports pack, WGN, 2 channels of The Movie Channel, and 7 channels in the Encore pack are well worth $7 more. Now I am a sports junkie so that may be just me.

charper1 said:
It is quite a compelling additional list wouldn't you say?
You forgot to comapre picture quality, quality DVR options and the fact that we have as many RSN's as there are other sports channels on E* not to mention no one but D* has the one that matters the NFL Sunday Ticket!

Good point though,more is better. I have TC Premier through D and I still only watch like 30 of my 210 channels, that's money well spent lol!

For now I am stuck on an HD rant .. that is all I care about but it needs to be good! I hated Voom!

I have had both and actually had DTV longer until they kept trash my bill.

My picture quality is exactly the same as it was on DTV when comparing the same channels, on the same exact TV. The HD is a bit more stable on HBO & SHO.

My ReplayTV is a much better DVR that anything that TiVo, DTV or Dish put out, and its a lifetime unit so no fees. The ONLY feature the newest models DTV or Dish DVR adds is dual tuner. I don't need that having E & W feeds for anything that might remotely run together or that won't get repeated on another day. Simple planning ahead makes things much easier and cheaper.

As far as the sports packages we only compared his $43 DTV pack to the $50 Dish pack. I know you CAN get all the additional RSN's but only at the $91 fee, but they are included in the Dish $50 fee, and I was trying to make the apples to apples point.

YES I AGREE 1000% with you about the NFL Sunday Ticket. It is currently the holy grail for DTV and they know it. They paid dearly to up their exclusive contract last year! AND it too is a premium add-on service not included any package that we compared.

Even "IF" they double the HD content and add more local into local areas that which is widely rumored, this still will not be the package to package comparison he mentioned.

All things being equal if you buy everything both providers have, excluding the offset international programming, how much extra per month will you pay to get the NFL Sunday Ticket?

$375 more per year and how many Sunday Ticket games can you watch from start to finish without channel surfing all over the place? Two. One early start (noon) and one late start (3pm)

Although you do get to CHOOSE what two games they will be.

Now I LOVE the Sunday Ticket, don't get me wrong, but I put it into perspective, in relation to its cost, compared to what I really was getting.

charper1 said:
Those extra channels you mention are on the $43/mo DTV Plus Locals package not the $40 package. Of all of those Trio, Oxygen & YES are the only compelling ones. According to DTV website as of 6/22/04, YES actually requires the $91/mo package and Dish does include the Outdoor Life. Now I am not saying that all the channels are compelling, but let's compare apples to apples on that $43 DTV package to the $50 Amer Top180 w/locals package, we also get the the following that you do not:

Considerably larger local into local coverage
1 additional Univision
Many more additional digital music offerings
Sirius music service
7 additional shopping networks
Auction TV
Bingo TV
Interactive TV with interactive weather (DTV cancelled all these services)
Style TV
SiTV
Great American Country
Nickelodeon GAS
Reality TV
Discovery Science (aka The Science Chnl)
Healthly Living
WGN (home of the Cubs & Bulls)
Wisdom TV
Angel One
EWTN - Global Catholic
The Movie Chnl Xtra
The Movie Chnl West
Encore Westerns
Encore Action
Encore Mysteries
Encore True Stories
Encore Love Stories
Encore WAM!
Golf Chnl
t
Research ChnlMadison Square Garden
Sunshine SportsNet
Comcast SportsNet
Empire SportsNet
New England SportsNet
Fox Sports World
18 Chnls of the Fox Sports Ne
Hispanic Info & Telecom TV
BYU-TV
University of Washington-TV
AARTS - classic Arts
Colours TV
Universityhouse
University of California-TV
EE Tv - Educating Everyone
Free Speech TV
Good Samaritan TV
PAEC - Florida Edu

It is quite a compelling additional list wouldn't you say? If I missed any I am sorry, but to me just having the Golf Chnl, Madison Square Garden, Sunshine SportsNet, Comcast SportsNet, Empire SportsNet, New England SportsNet, 19 channels in the Fox Sports pack, WGN, 2 channels of The Movie Channel, and 7 channels in the Encore pack are well worth $7 more. Now I am a sports junkie so that may be just me.

You are only part wright, to be fair here are some corrections. Yes is in TC if you live in NY and in $12 add on Sports pack if you do not live in NY. Trio and Oxygen are indead in the $40 TC pack, I have a D* brochure in front of me now. Discovery Science (aka The Science Chnl) is not an E* exclusive as you show it, is also included in the D* $42.99 TC+ package, neither are WGN and ESPN E* exclusive as you claim, they are both also in the D* $39.99 TC package.

Of these regional sports channels, Research ChnlMadison Square Garden
Sunshine SportsNet
Comcast SportsNet
Empire SportsNet
New England SportsNet
Fox Sports World
18 Chnls of the Fox Sports Networks plus Turner South.
With E* you only get Fox Sports World (AT180) and only your local RSN (AT120,180 and AEP) and not all of them like you indicate, if you want all of the RSN's and NBA-TV you will need to add the $5.99 Multi-Sport package. With D* you also get your local RSN's with both TC, and TC+ and if you want all of them plus other Sports channels that are included in E* AT180 like Golf, Outdoor Life etc you have to either add the $12 Sports pack or go with the $90.99 TCPremier pack.

The rest of your list is close to being correct.

Why do so many seem to care so much that they have the BEST deal and then try to brag about it and convince everyone else to join them?
We have all made our choices for our own reasons.
If you are happy with your choice, wonderful.
But don't try to tear down MY choice.
You don't have to tear down D* or TiVo just because you prefer E* and its DVR.
You don't have to tear down VOOM because you "have to have" NFL ST on D*.
You don't have to tear down E* because you get every friggin' movie channel in the universe (plus those exclusives!) on VOOM.
Just make your choice and enjoy it without having to criticize anyone who chooses something differently.

Good point fredfa, I tried them both and stayed with the one that had the package that fit my taste the best. Whether it is $3 more or $2 less doesn't matter, what does matter is that it has the channels I like, it is clear and it works. For me it was D, for others it may be E. Pick the one that fits you.

fredfa said:
Why do so many seem to care so much that they have the BEST deal and then try to brag about it and convince everyone else to join them?
We have all made our choices for our own reasons.
If you are happy with your choice, wonderful.
But don't try to tear down MY choice.
You don't have to tear down D* or TiVo just because you prefer E* and its DVR.
You don't have to tear down VOOM because you "have to have" NFL ST on D*.
You don't have to tear down E* because you get every friggin' movie channel in the universe (plus those exclusives!) on VOOM.
Just make your choice and enjoy it without having to criticize anyone who chooses something differently.
The inhernet issuse there is that they ALL SUCK! You need 3 providers to have it all. But like I said I only watch anout 30 channels right now anyway.

Oh and on the "how much Sunday ticket" thing ... it is not how many games we can watch, it is watching the GOOD games and marquee matchups that are unavailable in your local market. I will be glad when D* loses Sunday Ticket ... IT WILL DRIVE THE PRICE DOWN!

slacker, don't hold your breath for when DirecTV loses NFL ST.
And I disagree. They don't all suck.
It is just that not one of them has everything.

fredfa said:
slacker, don't hold your breath for when DirecTV loses NFL ST.
And I disagree. They don't all suck.
It is just that not one of them has everything.
That is what I meant to say! I mean really, we do live in a world where we get it all now, why not get it all together?! D* will not likely ever give up the agreement, and actually I was wrong about it getting cheaper. The top 1% will still keep their thumbs on us.

I am actually quite happy with D* and their offering, that is why I have them and not C* or E*, but I really want them to get on the HD. In 2006, satellite will have to complete with LOCAL channels for PQ and that is NOT cool. By then the HD DVR will be more economical and widespread and I’ll be time-shifting a ton of locals.

I know it is difficult to remain patient -- remember last spring as we waited, and waited for ESPN HD? -- but the NewsCorp folks running DirecTV now are not dopes.
I can't imagine there won't be lots of HD content soon.
(Although obviously not soon enough!)

help a newbie out please. i am a D* SD user with a new JVC ED plasma and am disappointed overall with pq. i've done everything within my reach to get it as good as possible.

assuming DVI connection, would D* HD improve it? obviously HD would be better but would SD improve?

i have the 3 lnb dish already. could i just purchase an HD rcvr and OTA antenna online cheaper than through D* then add the service through d*?

is the OTA antenna even necessary since it looks like the potential new HD channel additions would include the majors?

i am going to sign-up for the NFL ticket - is that all HD? part HD? no HD?

what is a good HD D* receiver model?

thanks!

hd would definitely improve the pic quality, although with a plasma or any hd set unless the upconversion is built into the set top box or television you could actually have a worse sd pic.

ckone0814 said:
help a newbie out please. i am a D* SD user with a new JVC ED plasma and am disappointed overall with pq. i've done everything within my reach to get it as good as possible.

assuming DVI connection, would D* HD improve it? obviously HD would be better but would SD improve?...
An "EDTV" is just that - Extended Definition - not High Definition. About the only improvement you'd see on the HD channels is less compression than their SD counterparts. Hardly worth the expense of an HD STB plus subscription to an HD package.

Genreally, plasmas and other fixed pixel displays just can't match a CRT's picture quality when viewing SDTV channels. Watching an SD channel on an HD STB sent to a non-HD display (i.e. EDTV) would look no better than watching an SD channel with an SD box.

DVI would improve the EDTV picture little, if any.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)