Taking HD DVR on the Road

Status
Please reply by conversation.

schneid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
In the Wind
This has probably been answered before but I can't find it. It seems doing D* HD in a RV is difficult unless you have lots of money. If you want the big four networks, you have to open a separate account, which is even more money.

Can I take my HD DVR on the road and watch what it has recorded or does it have to be connected to dish or phone line?

Thanks.

Yes you can take your DVR on the road and it needs to be connected to a satellite in order to watch what has been recorded. Without knowing your exact needs it's hard to suggest what you need. However, the simplest way is to get a 18" round dish and mount it on a tripod. Aim it at 101 and you are good. If you want to watch while moving, that's a whole different story.

You might be able to get a DNS waiver for RV use.

If you want HD, you will need a slimline dish. For locals, if you already get HD locals via DirecTV, you will get them in your RV if you are within their spotbeam. It varies, but over here on the left coast it's about 200 miles. If I was you I would get an AM21 to go with your HD DVR (unless it's an HR20) and a small amplified antenna if your RV doesn't already have one. Use the antenna for locals, you will just have to go through antenna setup at your destination with the zip code of where you are at...

I don't want to view any live programming. I just want to fill an HRxx with shows and movies to watch while away from home.

So my question is, will an HRxx allow pre-recorded shows to be viewed without any connection? 120vac and HDMI excepted of course.

I don't want to view any live programming. I just want to fill an HRxx with shows and movies to watch while away from home.

So my question is, will an HRxx allow pre-recorded shows to be viewed without any connection? 120vac and HDMI excepted of course.

Ohhh, ok. Missed that. There are differing opinions on that. I personally haven't tried it. From my understanding, when the receiver first boots up, and begins it check for satellite signals, you have to cancel it. From there you can get into the list and view programs. I have not heard if this works with an HR24.

Best thing to do is try it. Unplug your HR24. Disconnect the satellite cable then plug it in. As soon as the search for satellite comes on, hit exit. See if you can get out of it and play recorded shows. I would be interested to see your results. I might try it myself.

It's not that hard to figure this one out. Unplug the AC power from the DVR, disconnect the satellite dish cable(s), plug in the AC power, see if you can watch the programs recorded on the DVR.

I tried this with my HR20's last week and was UNABLE to get them to play.

Gave me some kind of an error.

Once I plugged in the Sat signal, all was well again.

Kind of sucks. I guess the only option is to buy a $1,600.00 dish and another $120.00/mo account and it will still be iffy.

I would settle for just HBO, Showtime, and CNN or Fox. Wonder if that can be done with one LNB and a small dish?

A slimline is just too bulky, heavy, and difficult to setup to be portable.

Kind of sucks. I guess the only option is to buy a $1,600.00 dish and another $120.00/mo account and it will still be iffy.

I would settle for just HBO, Showtime, and CNN or Fox. Wonder if that can be done with one LNB and a small dish?

A slimline is just too bulky, heavy, and difficult to setup to be portable.

Well, you've listed a few options.

Here's another option:

Winegard RoadTrip MiniMax Automatic Stationary Satellite TV Antennas - Product - Camping World

And you CAN get a automatic one for on your RV cheaper than $ 1600.

You can get a KingDome set up for a little over $ 1300.

Here's one for $ 999
Winegard RoadTrip 12.5" Low Profile Stationary Satellite Antennas - Product - Camping World

Or this one works well as well and it's $ 660 VuCube
VuQube 1000 Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Item - Camping World

All depends on what you want to pay for it.

Doesn't look like Winegard, Kingdome, or VuQube will do D* HD.

Looks like TracVision will do it for $1400.

And you still have to buy a second account from D* if you want the big four networks. For me that would be another $1,200-1,400 a year.

I'm a "small people" to quote the BP chairman. I can't justify spending that much money more for something I am already paying for.

It does seem if you want affordable HD RV service, Dish is easier and more affordable.

Doesn't look like Winegard, Kingdome, or VuQube will do D* HD.

Looks like TracVision will do it for $1400.

And you still have to buy a second account from D* if you want the big four networks. For me that would be another $1,200-1,400 a year.

I'm a "small people" to quote the BP chairman. I can't justify spending that much money more for something I am already paying for.

It does seem if you want affordable HD RV service, Dish is easier and more affordable.

Why is DISH any different, you still need to buy the correct Trac vision type device.

Why would you buy a second account from D* ?

Your camping/traveling, whats wrong with the local channels from the city your in ?

Yes, many of them won't do HD for D*, not quite sure why that isn't integratd into them yet, but they are not.

I am waiting for the Carry All to be up graded to handle HD, then I will invest in one. The current ones I can get for under $ 700.

In the mean time, I hook up the Slimline and am up and running in about 10-15 minutes.

btw, When I store the Slimline, I simple take a few bolts out and remove the arm and it store quite easily, other option I have also done is to remove just the reflector ( 4 bolts) also makes it pretty easy to store.

Why is DISH any different, you still need to buy the correct Trac vision type device.

Beats me but all the notes say D* HD is not supported. I think Dish sats are more localized and fewer.

To get the big four, you need a Distant Network Service which are feeds from LA or NY. Your current locals can only be received in your geographic vicinity and D* will only yet you change your location twice per year. D* will not give you DNS if you have Locals. To get them you must prove you own an RV and open a totally separate account for the RV and pay full price plus $15/mo for DNS.

Your camping/traveling, whats wrong with the local channels from the city your in ?

Nothing provided you are in range. It is also time consuming as the TV auto channel search takes awhile. With the new multiple signals per HDTV channel, the TV can find hundreds.

Yes, many of them won't do HD for D*, not quite sure why that isn't integratd into them yet, but they are not.

I think it is because D* must see five sats strung out across the country.

In the mean time, I hook up the Slimline and am up and running in about 10-15 minutes.

They're cumbersome and and in my opinion a pain to set up.

Beats me but all the notes say D* HD is not supported. I think Dish sats are more localized and fewer.

To get the big four, you need a Distant Network Service which are feeds from LA or NY. Your current locals can only be received in your geographic vicinity and D* will only yet you change your location twice per year. D* will not give you DNS if you have Locals. To get them you must prove you own an RV and open a totally separate account for the RV and pay full price plus $15/mo for DNS.

Nothing provided you are in range. It is also time consuming as the TV auto channel search takes awhile. With the new multiple signals per HDTV channel, the TV can find hundreds.

I think it is because D* must see five sats strung out across the country.

They're cumbersome and and in my opinion a pain to set up.

Actually the DISH sats being more localized is incorrect, DISH sats are all over the place over a much wider area.

The D* sats that are important are the 99, 101 and 103, only 4 degrees apart.

The issue with the D* part of why they can't get HD, I'm sure that it is because with D* the 101 is on KA and the 99 and 103 are on KU frequencies (could be the other way around) the DISH ones are all on the same KA or KU.

The portable set ups do not have BOTH KA and KU in them. thats where the biggest difference is, hoping sometime soon they bring a new one out that handles both with out the cost being a whole lot more.

I have a Kingdome 9762-LP for 3 years used it with a VIP622 until the VIP622 died and is now replaced with a VIP722. I am able to have the check switch lock onto 110-119-129 but it usually takes a few attempts. I have both lnbs on the Kingdome connected to the two outputs of the Dish DVR receiver and can watch different TV channels on the front and rear TVs as long as both TVs watch channels on the same satellite. Only the TV1 (front)will change which satellite you are selecting by changing to a channel on a different satellite. I have had a slight problem ocassionally this summer with the dish not willing to move off of 129. After calling Kingdome, they said that they basically do not suport and DVR receivers so I am on my own. I found that I could manually change satellites so I was functional.

Opps, I found this thread via SEARCH but did not realize until after posting that this was a DirectTV thread. Sorry guys.

Last edited:
All depends on what you want to pay for it.
... and how important fresh HD programming is to you.

I can't see spending money for something that will only do SD if you're going to have an HD receiver and HD television. I don't see the DIRECTV satellite situation ever changing back to the less expensive dishes; more than likely they'll add a third band to the existing two.

All the setups you linked to will do DISH Network HD.

... and how important fresh HD programming is to you.

I can't see spending money for something that will only do SD if you're going to have an HD receiver and HD television. I don't see the DIRECTV satellite situation ever changing back to the less expensive dishes; more than likely they'll add a third band to the existing two.

All the setups you linked to will do DISH Network HD.

Yup, I decided to wait it out ... I will get the automatic dish when it does HD and not before, till them I'll throw up the Slimline set up .... like schneid said, you can be up and running in 15 minutes or less.

However, I don't find it to be all that big of a deal to set it up.
If I'm withing a 100 miles or so, the set up from home works great, otherwise I have to change the settings some, not usually the case.

I'm the OP and here is an update. I had my home switched to DECA which required an LNB swap. I took the old LNB and acquired the rest of pieces, arm, dish, and base. I bought a Heavy Duty Tripod Kit from www.tv4rv.com . Moved my DECA'ed HR20-100 to my RV.

I set up the tripod and had no problem getting the signal. If you follow the steps exactly it is very easy. The two most important steps are an absolutely plumb mast and a dead-on azimuth shot. The TV4RV kit includes a bubble level, a aim-able compass, and sat finder to accomplish this. All else falls into place from there.

The HR20-100 is ideal for an RV as it will tune, hence record, OTA programming. I run my Winegard Sensar w Wingman (crank-up RV OTA antenna) to the HR20 and then HDMI to the TV.

I was worried about moving my DECA'ed HR20 to the non-DECA RV as the LNB's were different, one SWM and the other one non-SWM. It doesn't care It sees the LNB type on setup. The only difference is the RV setup requires two feeds with B-Band converters and the house only needs one feed with the DECA box and no B-Band converters.

I was also able to connect the HR20 via Ethernet to a DD-WRT modded LinkSys router that acts as a repeater for available WiFi signals. When the router is linked to an external WiFi source the HR20 is able to establish an Internet connection. I think this is necessary for PPV or if you want schedule via m.directv.com.

The Heavy Duty Tripod Kit from TV4RV is most economical yet functional mobile DirecTV solution out there. I also opted to purchase their Folding Arm Kit (make sure you buy the correct one) and an power supply for the finder.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts