Taking hopper or Joey to summer cottage

chwtom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2007
New dish customer here. I have a hopper, a super Joey, and 2 joeys. The hopper and super Joey would be difficult to move. However, the joeys would be easy to move and bring with to a cottage we use in the summer.
There is already a dish on the roof of this cottage from an old owner. Can I bring one of my boxes to the cottage and use it?

The Joey do need the Hopper to work. You would need to move the Hopper and all of the Joeys attached for this to be considered a Snowbird account and call to update the address each time you move.

New dish customer here. I have a hopper, a super Joey, and 2 joeys. The hopper and super Joey would be difficult to move. However, the joeys would be easy to move and bring with to a cottage we use in the summer.
There is already a dish on the roof of this cottage from an old owner. Can I bring one of my boxes to the cottage and use it?
You could BUY a 211 HD receiver and setup a separate account at the cottage for the summer. Something like the Welcome Pack would cost $20/mo and offer networks plus some basic programming for the summer. When you close up the cottage just turn off the account till you need it again.

Reactions: Scherrman
Joeys have no tuners, and get all their information from the Hopper. So they can not operate alone as the posts above indicate.

What many people do in your situation is to buy (you must buy you can't use a leased box) a 211 receiver and bring that to your summer cottage. Just to stay on the legal side of things, keep in mind DISH requires all receivers to be in the same place. However, the 211 receiver is allowed on the account because people do use them for tailgating and for motorhomes etc... Most of us here will tell you the real criteria is that only one location be using DISH services at a time. So if you take the 211 receiver to the Summer cottage and use it - with no one using the receivers at your home, to me that meets the spirit of not committing what is called Account Stacking.

That would not be the official stance of DISH just to be clear, and why MattG gave the answer he did.

lol, Whoops.... That was the exact answer I gave customers all the time @Tampa8 .... Like you said.. It all depends on the "spirit of not committing account stacking"... Thats how I understood it from my day 1 of training as a call center rep....

Reactions: Tampa8
Joeys have no tuners, and get all their information from the Hopper. So they can not operate alone as the posts above indicate.

What many people do in your situation is to buy (you must buy you can't use a leased box) a 211 receiver and bring that to your summer cottage. Just to stay on the legal side of things, keep in mind DISH requires all receivers to be in the same place. However, the 211 receiver is allowed on the account because people do use them for tailgating and for motorhomes etc... Most of us here will tell you the real criteria is that only one location be using DISH services at a time. So if you take the 211 receiver to the Summer cottage and use it - with no one using the receivers at your home, to me that meets the spirit of not committing what is called Account Stacking.

That would not be the official stance of DISH just to be clear, and why MattG gave the answer he did.
Ok thanks
So would I use the card from one of my receivers at home in the 211?

ok thanks--so then if i buy a 211 ( assuming I'd look on ebay or something?), do I have to get that activated at my primary home first? Would I have to pay another monthly charge for that? I'd only use it at the cottage on rare occasions (a football game, a movie, etc). We would never watch TV at home and at the cottage at the same time, so it would be nice not to pay for the extra receiver.

Because you own it, you can activate for the Month(s) you need it, then deactivate it when you are not using it. It would only be $7 (I believe) a month when activated.

You can activate it at home or at the summer cottage. If you don't buy a new one be sure any used one you buy is free and clear of any back charges from the previous owner or not stolen. You can get the receiver ID number and smart card number before you buy and ask DIRT here to check that it is clear and able to be activated.

Reactions: ChadT41
MattG, theoretical question: Since the Joeys do not work without a Hopper, wouldn't it be OK just to move the Hopper to a different location?

MattG, theoretical question: Since the Joeys do not work without a Hopper, wouldn't it be OK just to move the Hopper to a different location?

That may be the best solution for someone who is trying to stay within the DISH guidelines. As you say the other receivers are useless then. Many may not have a node or are not knowledgeable enough to install one, and may not want to unhook the Hopper so in that case the 211 works.

The best solution for him is to do what boba and Tampa8 suggested. Just purchase a 211 receiver and use that at the cottage. If the right dish antenna is there you shouldn't have to do anything but hook up the receiver and watch TV once it's activated. You may have to do a check switch at first. This really shouldn't be any different than a Hopper account with a tailgater. You just activate the receiver for when you wan to use it and deactivate it when you're done. This should be completely within Dish's rules.

If you have an internet connection at the summer cottage , simply take your computer and cables to connect it to your summer cottage TV. Then you can use Dish anywhere and not need an extra subscription cost. Whenever I get a summer or winter rental, I make sure it has an internet connection and a TV that I can connect to ( HDMI or RGB ). I do the same when I go to a motel on the way to the rental.

If you have an internet connection at the summer cottage , simply take your computer and cables to connect it to your summer cottage TV. Then you can use Dish anywhere and not need an extra subscription cost. Whenever I get a summer or winter rental, I make sure it has an internet connection and a TV that I can connect to ( HDMI or RGB ). I do the same when I go to a motel on the way to the rental.
That might work if his Hopper is a HWS, otherwise he needs Sling Adapter.... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts