taking lessons from the boys (chicken wire & duck tape)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ditto:

I see a solution, but you won't like it any more than I do:
- see if you can order a smaller diameter motor shaft from Sadoun.
- cut off the motor shaft around half way, so the new DirecTV mount snugs up close(r) to the motor.
- pin the mount to the shaft with a bolt through both

There, I said it... and now I'm gonna go wash my mouth out with soap! - :(

Well, that's why we build the mousetraps... to see if we got a better one! :)

I see a solution, but you won't like it any more than I do:
- see if you can order a smaller diameter motor shaft from Sadoun.
- cut off the motor shaft around half way, so the new DirecTV mount snugs up close(r) to the motor.
- pin the mount to the shaft with a bolt through both

There, I said it... and now I'm gonna go wash my mouth out with soap! - :(

Well, that's why we build the mousetraps... to see if we got a better one! :)

I think it will take a new, smaller tube. My dad came over yesterday and gave me a little measuring thing with a digital meter. It measures outside and inside pipes and stuff. I forget what it is called right now, it slides to adjust to the size and the digital meter tells you how big it is. It has a button for metric too.

I measured the stuff I took pictures of, the motor and the new bracket thing and they just will not fit. Like you said, a smaller tube is needed on the motor to fit the bracket.

I measured the stuff and the bracket needs a 2" or 50mm tube.

The tube that is on the motor is 2.17" or 55mm around. So the motor tube is too big to fit inside the bracket. So I have buy a new tube that is 50mm around on the outside.

I just don't know where to get one or what to even ask for. I don't even know the official name of the part on the motor. :(

Sigh...

Oh, and my dad couldn't find an aluminum plate 10" x 10" for making the adapter part to mount the new bracket to the dish. :(

I wonder if I'll get this thing done before I move. I sort of doubt it. :(

I think it will take a new, smaller tube. My dad came over yesterday and gave me a little measuring thing with a digital meter. It measures outside and inside pipes and stuff. I forget what it is called right now, it slides to adjust to the size and the digital meter tells you how big it is. It has a button for metric too.

That is a caliper, Dee. Nice to have one of those around! Probably a Mitotoyo brand???

I measured the stuff and the bracket needs a 2" or 50mm tube.

The tube that is on the motor is 2.17" or 55mm around. So the motor tube is too big to fit inside the bracket. So I have buy a new tube that is 50mm around on the outside.

I just don't know where to get one or what to even ask for. I don't even know the official name of the part on the motor. :(

Dee, check with Sadouns' sales catalog on line (online store). I am pretty certain that they have what you need for about $12 to $15. At Sadoun's store you can buy the motor tubes separately if you need to.

RADAR

That is a caliper, Dee. Nice to have one of those around! Probably a Mitotoyo brand???

Dee, check with Sadouns' sales catalog on line (online store). I am pretty certain that they have what you need for about $12 to $15. At Sadoun's store you can buy the motor tubes separately if you need to.

RADAR

Yes! That's it, a caliper. Duh. It's printed on the silly thing. I'm brain dead without coffee. :eek:

Ok, here's where I'm confused. The tube sizes.

In a thread about this particular motor they showed two measurements.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/189991-new-product-release-sg9120-diseqc-motor.html#post1995211

and here, http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-release-sg9120-diseqc-motor.html#post1994621

They measure the inside and it says 50mm. They measure the outside and it says 55mm. That's the same thing I come up with when I measure it.

BUT, in the sales info, they advertise it as a 50mm tube.
But isn't the inside of the tube irrelevant considering that you are clamping the dish to the OUTSIDE of the tube and not the inside?

Why even advertise the inside measurements of it if that's not where you mount the dish? See here, http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-release-sg9120-diseqc-motor.html#post1979927

:confused: :confused:

Now I need a new tube that is 50mm on the OUTSIDE and I don't give a hoot about the inside of the silly thing. I only see two of them advertised on Sadoun, one is said to be 50mm and one is said to be 42mm.

Ok, fine. But is that the inside or outside measurement?
If they sell them according to the inside measurement (which would be totally goofy) how I would shop for one that would end up having the OUTSIDE be 50mm?

I don't know if that makes sense or not, it sure doesn't make any sense at all to me, it's utterly and totally confusing. If you're not using the inside of the tube why tell people what the inside measurement is? Tell me the outside measurement because THAT is what's important. :confused::rant::confused::rant::confused:

This is so frustrating. I just don't understand why everything has to be so complicated and force you to do all sorts of cryptic calculations and measurements and GUESSES. Trial and error gets expensive, real fast.

I think I need to go take a few aspirin and put a cool wet cloth on my forehead for a bit.. :(

tail wagging the dog, here?

Here are the various motors Sadoun sells, complete with motor tube measurements.
Down at the bottom of the page, are replacement tubes.
They have 50 mm and 42mm, in case you might want the other size.

But, to get good leverage on the mass of the dish, you would like to have the dish as close as possible to the motor body
Not down at the end of the motor tube.
That's why I mentioned cutting off the tube, so you could slide your mount closer to the motor.
That's a pretty drastic idea, so I would always suggest you re-think before cutting. - :eek:
Worse yet, if you don't plan well ahead, the swinging dish might bump against the motor body in its travel, if the tube is too short.

I love that lump of a mount you got!
In a fixed-dish installation, it's a real gem!
But, for the reasons mentioned above, I'm losing confidence in using it this way.
Perhaps you can come up with some imaginative way to rectify the shortcomings.

Here are the various motors Sadoun sells, complete with motor tube measurements.
Down at the bottom of the page, are replacement tubes.
They have 50 mm and 42mm, in case you might want the other size.

Yes, I see the measurements they list on those parts but are those the inside or outside measurements?

And are all these tubes universal? Can you put Brand-X tubes on Brand-Z motors?

See, the reason is, the motor I have was advertised as having a 50mm tube.
Well, that's the INSIDE measurement of the tube which is 1000% irrelevant to anything what-so-ever. I have zero interest in the inside measurement of the thing. I am only interested in it's outside measurement.

Sadoun has a 42mm and a 50mm tube for sale. If I buy the tube he sells here, HH Motors STAB, DigiPower, Moteck, SatControl, Sadoun DisEqC , item #13, will I receive a part that is 50mm around on the outside? Or will it be like what I have now, a tube that is 50mm on the inside and 55mm on the outside?

Right now, I'm just about to give up. :river

I do not know what to do. I've already wasted money on stuff that I can't use.
I see no hope in the universe of me being able to make *anything* to put the dish on the motor. I do not have the tools or the skills to do stuff like that.

This is getting too complicated and too impossible for me, real fast. I'm in way over my head. I should just quit while I can and sell everything.

I'm just really struggling not to toss it all into the trash can and call it all off. :mad:

The models DG240, DG280, and DG380 are one series of motors, all based on a common design.
Their replacement tubes are listed for two sizes, and fit only those models.

Further down the page, replacement tubes are listed for SG2100 motors.
That's a motor that's been around for quite a few years, and its tubes would not interchange with other brands.

No reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater just now.
Think over the problem, and see what comes up.
This is brainstorming time.
We have a lot of bright and inventive folks on the forum.

The motor decision was a very good one. No argument there.
The mount ya chose has incredible fine-tuning capability.
If bringing the two together can be accomplished, that's great.
If not, you're only out the price of the mount... which I'm sure you'll find a use for later! - :up
So, let's take a moment and see what everyone comes up with for ideas.

From the picture she has posted on the 1st page of this thread, it is a Powermax SG-9120.
It is at the top of this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-sg9120-motor-ws9036-90cm-satellite-dish.html

And from another seller:

" As you know, the SG6000 DiSEqC motor has been discontinued. The heavy duty SG9120 is the newest model DiSEqC motor on the market and comes not only with a metal main gear for durability, it comes with a 55mm tube for larger dishes, already installed. "

If you're unable to find a tube for SG9120 motor with OD=50 mm, I suggest the following:

Option 1:

- ask WSI for the same spare tube with OD=55mm
- cut the spare tube, leaving about 1/3 of its length from top
- make internal thread on the cut end
- make external thread on one end of the smaller OD tube your neighbor made
- thread smaller tube into the bigger one, making sure to keep overall Ass. length about 2/3 of original motor's tube
- drill a hole and pin 2 tubes together perpendicular to their axis with a bolt
- mark and drill 2 holes for pins in both mount and tube to hold the dish tight on this smaller OD tube
- put the mount part on the smaller OD tube and pin them with bolts making sure their center planes match
- attach your dish to it using an extra plate
- enjoy if successful (I don't use soap to wash mouth, sorry :))

Option 2:

- Get rid of the mount you bought
- buy a more suitable mount :)

Last edited:
The models DG240, DG280, and DG380 are one series of motors, all based on a common design.
Their replacement tubes are listed for two sizes, and fit only those models.

Further down the page, replacement tubes are listed for SG2100 motors.
That's a motor that's been around for quite a few years, and its tubes would not interchange with other brands.

Anole,

I have all of the above motor makes/models and I tried to interchange the tubes. They are interchangeable, but the length of the motor stem and the depth to which the tube is bored out are not quite the same (about 1/8 to 3/16" off), so it was a bit of a struggle to get the tube on the shaft all the way. But the dimensions of the motor stem and recess area are identical. Therefore they can be interchanged with a little struggle and adaptation. The SG-2100 motor stem or stub is just a tad bit longer.

RADAR

I guess I'll toss that new thing onto the scrap pile. :(

Maybe my dad can make something from scratch to fit that existing tube.
I'm really unhappy to have thrown away more money down the satellite money pit.

On the other hand, my dad is buying me a new pc that has more bang so now I might be able to watch Fashion TV. The one I have now apparently is too wimpy to do the hd stuff. The new one is going to be a "quad core" with lots of memory and a killer video card.

But on the motor thing, oh well. I'm tossing it into the junk box for now. I can't do anything with it and the yard is underwater again. :(

Ok, I'm bailing out on the motor thing. I guess I'll concentrate on building my new and improved ghettotenna, for now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)