Taking Our Receive To A Vacation Home.............

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rebel Racing

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Detroit
Hi Guys,

Wondering if I can "legally" take my second receiver to my folks winter vacation home for a few weeks. They have an aimed dish there and we would go there a few weeks before they arrive to open up things. I know that our locals will not work but will DTV know about it and I get in trouble? Without a phone line or internet connection,I doubt it but want to know from the experts.
Thanks!!

As long as nobody is watching at your home, it is allowed.

DIRECTV isn't going to know what you've done unless you plug the receiver into a phone line or broadband Internet connection.

Remember, you may have to run the Sat set up when you get there ...
What recvr and dish do you have at home and what do they have there ?

Yup, no issues as long as no one is at your primary home at the same time. Jimbo's question is a good one regarding your equipment.

Yes, it's a very important question. The H25 receiver and the HR34/HR44 genies will not work on a non-SWM setup. And if you move a receiver from an SWM setup to a non-SWM setup you need to redo satellite setup in a particular way.
Also if you are going from SWM to non-SWM you will need BBCs (B-band converters) if you want to receive HD.
So you need to tell us:
what type of receiver you want to move
what type of dish in your home setup
what type of dish in the vacation home setup

You could load up a HR24 with recordings and take it with you.
All you need is HDMI to work.

A dvr won't work for long without a satellite signal.

Worked for me 3 weeks.
Did a comparison of Dish pq with both of my HR24's.
Directv won hands down btw.
Anyone that says there is not much diffrence in pq of the two sat company's have not done a side by side:)

Reactions: Mr Tony
Have 2 HR20's that haven't had a signal going on for over 2 YEARS that playback recordings just fine...

With newer DVRs and/or software releases that's not necessarily the case. People report mixed results....

Worked for me 3 weeks.
Did a comparison of Dish pq with both of my HR24's.
Directv won hands down btw.
Anyone that says there is not much diffrence in pq of the two sat company's have not done a side by side:)
A lot depends on the quality of TV sets your using as well.

Have 2 HR20's that haven't had a signal going on for over 2 YEARS that playback recordings just fine...
I have tried this over the years with HR20's as well as HR24's and never had any luck ONCE the POWER has been removed.
With newer DVRs and/or software releases that's not necessarily the case. People report mixed results....

If his HR20s have not had signal for over two years that means the software has not been updated either. I seem to remember that with earlier versions of the software, the DVR continued to playback recordings after you had unplugged it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)