Taking receiver on the road.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjns

Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
CA
I'm considering getting a satellite dish for my RV. If I take my current receiver at home with me on a trip in the RV, will I still be able to see my home local channels or does the receiver show you the local channels of whatever area you're currently in? What about the package/premium channels that I'm subscribed to?

:welcome to Satelliteguys rjns!

Directv uses spot beams for local channels for most areas, so if you travel far enough you can't receive them. How far varies, usually 100 miles or so is about as far as you can go. HD spot beams are generally smaller than the SD ones. Your regular channels will come in fine as long as you stay in the US.

Your question is far too vague to give you any decent answer. You need to clarify if your RV has SD or HD receivers (or what you plan to use). Second, it would be very helpful to know what your home configuration is to know what kind of equipment you would need for your RV. Third, what kind of a dish do you envision for your RV? Do you want one of those automated domes, automated dishes or are you willing to put up with a tripod mounted dish. Answer these questions and you can get some meaningful input.

NO..... You will not be able to see local channels. If you get a ODU for the RV it will be 20inch dish with a single LNB which will not pick up the 119 and thats where your locals come from. Besides if you going on vacation who cares about whats happen locally :)

P.S. you can get a King Dome and have more options but your talking $1,000 - $1,500 I guess it comes down to how bad you want locals and HD.

NO..... You will not be able to see local channels. If you get a ODU for the RV it will be 20inch dish with a single LNB which will not pick up the 119 and thats where your locals come from. Besides if you going on vacation who cares about whats happen locally :)

P.S. you can get a King Dome and have more options but your talking $1,000 - $1,500 I guess it comes down to how bad you want locals and HD.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

How do you know his locals come from 119? Many come from 101, and he didn't post his location.

The dish you happened to choose to talk about doesn't do ANY HD, however, like you pointed out later, they are available, for a price, I'm thinking $1700 and up for one that gets HD.
As for Locals, if he gets a HD set up, it will get his locals as long as he's in his spotbeam, unless they happen to come from the 119 and even then he could IF he gets the 5 LNB version.

will I still be able to see my home local channels - Yes, for a few or more hundred miles from home.

or does the receiver show you the local channels of whatever area you're currently in? - No

What about the package/premium channels that I'm subscribed to? - Yes you should still get them.

No domes or carryouts get DirecTV HD. You'll need a Winegard Trav'ler or a newer SWM model, MotoSat RF Mogul, roof mount. Not mobile and don't park under a tree. Otherwise you'll need a a ground mount Slimline. Can't beat TV4RV.com. You can also use a "Dish" 1000.2 after swapping the LNB to a DirecTV SL3. Pix in link below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104481...authkey=Gv1sRgCIKfkozFzbTnigE&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts