Taking the DirecTV plunge...H20 question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

zariaboy

Original poster
May 24, 2007
NoHo, California
Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and subscribe to the HD-DVR package. It'll be a big change since I've never had satellite or cable before. OTA channels have kept me occupied so far.

I have 1 HD (master bedroom) and 2 standard sets (living room and bedroom). The plan is to get the HR20 for the current HD unit and a H20 and standard receiver for the non-HD TVs. Can I use a H20 receiver with the standard TV until I upgrade it to an HD set in the next month or so? I figure it might be better to get it now rather than upgrade the receiver at a later time.

Thanks,
Alfredo

as far as i know, you can. its probably a good idea to get the hd equipment you need from directv now. as soon as directv10 is launched next month and we start seeing all those hd channels in september, i surmise getting your hands on either an hr20 or h20 will be difficult.

let me clarify, you would get them but i'm suspecting a massive backlog of requests!

Yes you can use and H-20 on a standard def tv.I have one hooked to a 32" Sony trinitron.I just the s-Video plug . Works fine and I still get all the channels.And belive it or not ,the HD channels Still look better on a SD tv.Then SD channels.

I just the s-Video plug . Works fine and I still get all the channels.And belive it or not ,the HD channels Still look better on a SD tv.Then SD channels.
Thanks, I noticed the same thing before moving my H20 to my hdtv.

I just logged off from their website after placing my order. Looking forward to the installation this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and advice. :)
Alfredo

Let me put it this way. Never get an SD receiver if you can get the HD one that does the future MPEG4. Not only will it handle the future, it gives you all the channels. You will miss out when the 100 HD ones launch. Also, I find a downgraded HD picture is better then an SD one. I was playing around with a 10" LCD using the internal SD receiver and a composite fed HD one downgraded and ESPN downgraded from HD looked way better. So good choice to go H20 or even the HR20 on a standard TV. Of course, that might entice you to replace the TV with a shiny new HD one later down the road. ;)

Where's my manners. Welcome to the forum zariaboy and Directv!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)